The Student Room Group

I want to cry - laptop screen and others

I seem to be starting threads in here every other day with my latest amazing screwup.

Anyway....I was just picking up my laptop and somehow cracked the LCD screen. Nice big black blob and lots of interesting tartan patterns over about a quarter of it.

How do I get this fixed?
I'm assuming I need to get a computer techie person, so how do I find one? I don't have any techie mates that are around here, and the IT services place at uni won't recommend me anywhere to get it fixed

Considering my keyboard is also a bit wrecked and half of my harddrive vanished thanks to a virus, am I cursed? And just as well giving up any buying myself a new laptop with money I don't have.

:bawling:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I didn't drop it. Not sure how it happened really. I sat down on the couch, leaned over and picked it up by the screen (something my mum is always getting on to me for) as I often do, heard a crack, and it was ****ed. I didn't drop it, didn't think I used any more force than normal or anything.

I just seem to be cursed atm :bawling:

It's a Dell laptop and was bought in June 05. Don't think it's still in warranty (tbh I don't remember ever seeing a warranty or anything)
Reply 2
My favourite Mod. Sad to hear about your screen. Personally, I think you should get a new lappie.
Reply 3
:hugs: Thanks
Laptops are pricey things though...:frown:
Reply 4
Imperfect
My favourite Mod. Sad to hear about your screen. Personally, I think you should get a new lappie.

lol @ the blatent suckupiness :biggrin:

But sadly he is right, a new screen would not only be hard to find but also so expensive, you may as well get a new laptop.
Reply 5
Nah, I do the mod stuff he wants really quickly :wink:

Where can one get a decent cheap laptop quickly then?
Reply 6
Ring Dell? Sounds obvious i know, but the obvious things sometimes get skipped.
Reply 7
If you really dont have much money you could get a cheap second hand monitor from any computer shop for about £25 and hook it up to that.

As for a cheap new laptop, PC World have been advertising laptops for £350/£400 on the TV ...wouldnt call them decent, depends on what you want it for really.
Reply 8
I think I'm allergic to PC world....
Second hand monitor was something I was wondering about if it was possible (I've got heaps of old computers at home I could pinch one off, but my parents are on holiday atm....otherwise I'd try and get my desktop brought down as a stopgap at least)
Been having a look at the student laptops site my bf just got one from. Unfortunately I'm rather fussy and couldn't bare to have something I couldn't game on....so screwed!
Reply 9
Just out of interest guys, what do you think of this:
http://www.qmuc.ac.uk/it/purchase.htm
My uni are selling off their old PCs. I've got a copy of Microsoft Office with me, and in a couple of weeks I could have XP, plus I've got keyboard and mouse. Only thing would be a wireless card that I don't have on my current system.
Reply 10
I've always heard acers are crap as well :biggrin:
I'll have a look, but am wary of them. They do seem a lot cheaper usually though.
Reply 11
That's fair enough. And to be honest, I could try and live with that, at least until my laptop is fixed. Just need to play my xbox instead.
They're not necessarily all the same specs by the sounds of it, so I'd see if they had one with a bigger hard disk and more ram (though I'm thinking of getting an external hdd anyway)
If you have your laptop named on your posessions insurance, now's the time to get claiming.

Screens are stupidly expensive, with labour included its more economical to buy a whole new laptop than get it fixed yourself.
Reply 13
Don't think it's named on posessions insurance. I take it that means I can't claim?
Not unless you fancy doing a little insurance fraud.
Reply 15
Do elaborate :wink:
I take it that I can't get it on the insurance because it has a value over £500 yes?
Have sent an email asking about what systems are available of those desktops.
Most insurance policys make you name personal computer equipment regardless of its value, which annoys me since my chnages so often.

Anyway, what someone I know did was to insure thier broken laptop for its new value; then wait a month or so before 'accidentally' chucking it down a flight of stairs. Obviously thats fraud, and its on your consience if you go down that route.
Reply 17
Acaila
Nah, I do the mod stuff he wants really quickly :wink:

Where can one get a decent cheap laptop quickly then?

And other things to :wink:

EBAY, me is thinkin'. Sell yours as Spare parts and repairs to get some extra moolah.
Reply 18
Meh, I doubt I will, but a broken laptop weighs on my conscience even more :bawling:

Just to note, my flatmate came in, was suitably sympathetic, and said she has a spare USB wireless adapter so I wouldn't even need a wireless card if I went for one of those desktops.
Reply 19
Imperfect
And other things to :wink:

EBAY, me is thinkin'. Sell yours as Spare parts and repairs to get some extra moolah.

I'd probably try and get it fixed cheaply anyway - if I had something I could use for essays and internet and maybe DVDs, I could cope with leaving it to my uncle or dad's friend or whoever to try and fix cheaply. Considering selling some of my book collection right now to fund it though...

Latest

Trending

Trending