The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open Degree and transferring credits

Does anyone have any experience in transferring credits to an open degree? Or of just doing an open degree in general. Is it really as 'open' as it appears?

I've been studying computer science part-time at a 'normal' university but I'm not enjoying it. I am thinking about dropping it and doing an OU degree.

Although I have come to hate IT I do have excellent grades and it would be a shame to lose the work if I will get no credit for it at all. However, I want to study a completely different subject area.

Am I correct in thinking I could transfer my credits over AND retain the option of studying non IT subjects for the further credits required to get a degree?

edit:
fyi I am talking about this particular course: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/qd#course-details

I need to contact them I guess but it would be really nice to hear from other OU students.
(edited 9 years ago)
I transferred some credits in to an Open Degree and it was very straightforward (although I believe the rules have slightly changed since I did so, though not in any very significant ways). Be aware that the grades themselves won't count towards the final classification of your Open Degree, though; this would be based solely on your OU study.

And yes, in theory you can study whatever subjects you like towards the degree, but they are starting to introduce prerequisite modules for some subjects so this could have an impact. Basically, they don't want people to suddenly decide to study something at Level 3 that they know nothing about and then fail, which is fair enough. So, the openness is moderated a bit by the progression of your knowledge. How far are you through your current degree, and what subject(s) do you want to do with the OU? My guess is that you can pick up some (but not all) subjects from Level 2 without too much problem, but it would be hard to jump in at Level 3. But check with the OU, they can advise you properly.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Persipan
I transferred some credits in to an Open Degree and it was very straightforward (although I believe the rules have slightly changed since I did so, though not in any very significant ways). Be aware that the grades themselves won't count towards the final classification of your Open Degree, though; this would be based solely on your OU study.

And yes, in theory you can study whatever subjects you like towards the degree, but they are starting to introduce prerequisite modules for some subjects so this could have an impact. Basically, they don't want people to suddenly decide to study something at Level 3 that they know nothing about and then fail, which is fair enough. So, the openness is moderated a bit by the progression of your knowledge. How far are you through your current degree, and what subject(s) do you want to do with the OU? My guess is that you can pick up some (but not all) subjects from Level 2 without too much problem, but it would be hard to jump in at Level 3. But check with the OU, they can advise you properly.

Good info, thank you.

To answer your question I have 120 credits at level 1 and 60 at level 2. All computer science subjects.

The modules that interest me on the OU are health/social sciences related. For example: Health and illness, The science of the mind: investigating mental health, Death and dying, Exploring psychology, etc.

Basically I really like the look of the actual named Health Sciences degree, but I am thinking if I chose the "Open" degree instead then I could carry all my current credits over and just pick the remaining modules that interest me at level 2/3 (assuming no prerequisites) .

I assume if I went for the actual Health Sciences degree I would not get any credit transfer because what I have learned so far doesn't relate in any way. So I would be starting again from point 0....:eek:

Hmm, I guess I want to have my cake and eat it really.
You could potentially transfer 30 credits of unrelated study to the Health Sciences degree, but not more (see http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/my-ou-qualification?path=h#documents ).

From what I can see, the Health Sciences L2 modules seem to strongly recommend relevant study first, but do double check that with them. It may be that, for example, you could do a bit of L1 to get you up to speed (say, 60 credits) but not need to ditch everything you've done so far, if you do an Open degree. (So, do 60 L1, 60 L2 and 120 L3, which is better than starting from scratch.)
Hi big v
what did you have to do for the tmas and ema for the science of the mind:investigating mental health,and counselling explaining fear and sadness has im due to start these modules next year please could you give me more detail.
thanks lubna jebeen

Quick Reply

Latest