The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Clare College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm currently in lower sixth form, and I'm thinking about going to Clare College when I leave school. I just wanted to talk directly to you guys about what you think of it? Do you enjoy it? What's the campus/teaching like? Also what was your previous school like and how different is it in Clare College? I hope you can help!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I have my interview at Clare college soon for History and I am so worried! Does anyone have any idea about how the interviews are? Sort of the process, and whether the discussion of the passage and the essays is difficult?
Reply 1102
Our post has come for today and still my daughter has not received a letter ...

At what stage is it appropriate to ring? At this stage, we are assuming it will be a rejection letter, but if if she has been pooled and/or another college has called her for an interview she wouldn't know ...
Reply 1103
Original post by appmum

At what stage is it appropriate to ring? At this stage, we are assuming it will be a rejection letter, but if if she has been pooled and/or another college has called her for an interview she wouldn't know ...

If she has been put in the pool (and then been pulled out for offer or interview) she would've heard via email or phone.

I'd say it's appropriate to ring Clare or email them right now. Good luck!
Original post by appmum

Have other people online received letters from Clare? It's possible they are late with everyone.

Edit: It seems other people have received news. I recommend checking the college's website - I seem to remember them having something about how long to wait on there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1105
Definitely appropriate to ring or email them (although bear in mind that your daughter should contact them herself as they are unable to give anyone but her any information over the phone). She should definitely have heard the outcome (offer/rejection/pool) by now, either by letter or by email, so definitely within her rights to contact the college.
Hey, I've been accepted to study maths at Clare College after getting S,1,2 in the STEP papers and getting 4 A*s at A level which include maths, further maths, economics and psychology. So I technically missed my offer, but thankfully I still got accepted!
I was wondering if anyone else on here also has a place at Clare? It would be nice to know a few names before I get there :smile:. If so what course are you studying?
Hiya :h: Congrats on getting in!! The two offer holders at my school missed their offers and were still accepted as well. Unis seem to be being nice this year in that regard. Luckily I just met my offer on the dot - A*AA. I'm going to be studying HSPS. Oh, and my name's Grace! (Also, can't help but notice your location says East London - I'm in Hackney :smile:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by wotchergrace
Hiya :h: Congrats on getting in!! The two offer holders at my school missed their offers and were still accepted as well. Unis seem to be being nice this year in that regard. Luckily I just met my offer on the dot - A*AA. I'm going to be studying HSPS. Oh, and my name's Grace! (Also, can't help but notice your location says East London - I'm in Hackney :smile:)

Congratulations to you too :smile: one of the few people who actually met their offer! Haha. What a levels did you take? You must live pretty close to me then, I'm in Poplar :smile: what sixth form or college did you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joel_tsr
Congratulations to you too :smile: one of the few people who actually met their offer! Haha. What a levels did you take? You must live pretty close to me then, I'm in Poplar :smile: what sixth form or college did you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geography, History and English Lit! Miraculously managed to get an A* in Geography despite getting a B in it last year. I really didn't even look at the module numbers, just the letters, haha! Poplar's awesome - a lot of my family are from around the docks area. And I went to Stoke Newington Sixth Form, what about you? :smile:
Geography, History and English Lit! Miraculously managed to get an A* in Geography despite getting a B in it last year. I really didn't even look at the module numbers, just the letters, haha! Poplar's awesome - a lot of my family are from around the docks area. And I went to Stoke Newington Sixth Form, what about you? :smile:

You must have been overjoyed seeing that A* then! A lot of essay writing haha not for me! No one in my sixth form did as well as that in geography, it's quite tough apparently. Yeah I love it here, I have some friends who live in Hackney too, I was around there earlier today. I've heard of Stoke Newington, I went to Raine's Foundation Sixth Form :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must have been overjoyed seeing that A* then! A lot of essay writing haha not for me! No one in my sixth form did as well as that in geography, it's quite tough apparently. Yeah I love it here, I have some friends who live in Hackney too, I was around there earlier today. I've heard of Stoke Newington, I went to Raine's Foundation Sixth Form :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, my hand felt like it was going to fall off come the end of exam season. And yeah, I was - I had no idea how it happened, but I'm not one to question it. And that's awesome - I know some people who went to Raine's secondary school, but I'm not sure I know anyone from the sixth form!
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh yeah, my hand felt like it was going to fall off come the end of exam season. And yeah, I was - I had no idea how it happened, but I'm not one to question it. And that's awesome - I know some people who went to Raine's secondary school, but I'm not sure I know anyone from the sixth form!

I remember my hand hurt so much after one economics exam, must have been rough to have that every exam! I think they were wise to go to another sixth form haha did they go to mossbourne? Quite a few Raines pupils go there each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember my hand hurt so much after one economics exam, must have been rough to have that every exam! I think they were wise to go to another sixth form haha did they go to mossbourne? Quite a few Raines pupils go there each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, but a handful of people from Stoke Newington went off to Mossbourne (aka military school). You have to wear a suit there...no thanks!
I'm not sure, but a handful of people from Stoke Newington went off to Mossbourne (aka military school). You have to wear a suit there...no thanks!

Yeah I've heard about how strict it is there, I prefer a bit of freedom! And I agree with you on the suits, too uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've heard about how strict it is there, I prefer a bit of freedom! And I agree with you on the suits, too uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd rather have no uniform. In fact I'm glad that gown wearing at Clare is at a minimum. I'm really small and I'm hoping I'll be able to find a cheap one in my size, since we won't be wearing them much. Have you thought about gowns at all?
Yeah, I'd rather have no uniform. In fact I'm glad that gown wearing at Clare is at a minimum. I'm really small and I'm hoping I'll be able to find a cheap one in my size, since we won't be wearing them much. Have you thought about gowns at all?

I wasn't even aware of any gown wearing haha I'm glad to hear it's not frequent at Clare! I'm the opposite, pretty tall, so hopefully they have both ends of the scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't even aware of any gown wearing haha I'm glad to hear it's not frequent at Clare! I'm the opposite, pretty tall, so hopefully they have both ends of the scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know you definitely have to wear it for matriculation, though at other colleges you have to wear it when you dine in the hall and take exams. So for colleges that don't wear them that much you can rent instead of buy, but if any are on the cheap I might get one.
As far as I know you definitely have to wear it for matriculation, though at other colleges you have to wear it when you dine in the hall and take exams. So for colleges that don't wear them that much you can rent instead of buy, but if any are on the cheap I might get one.

Ohh I see, I'll probably do the same then if they aren't too expensive and keep it as a memento. I'm glad they aren't like the bright red St. Andrews ones haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gowns are unfortunately one size fits all, but they're pretty flappy so the concept of fit doesn't really make sense as much as say, a jacket.

While gown wearing isn't compulsory at Clare formal, if you go to other formals at other colleges (whole-heartedly recommended, btw), some of them will require you to wear a gown, so it's good to be prepared.

I think the UCS (Clare students' union) will have old second-hand gowns to buy for cheap in the lobby of the library on Freshers' day - I can't remember how much they cost, but it was definitely cheaper than getting one from Ryder and Amies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending