The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
In my year it's only U staircase who are still known as that - bearing in mind we're going into fourth year it's not that usual! :p:

Pedant :p: When I said it's directly opposite the bar I meant it's one of the two middle staircases along the corridor and approximately a two second walk to the entrance. M isn't directly opposite the entrance either! And yeah, U1 is to the left as far as I remember.

M is very much directly opposite the bar! The entrance to M is in line with the Bar entrance!

Yeah, I suspect that we might have dropped the staircase names by 4th year, just because there will be fewer of us!

Ah yes, in which case there was an American exchange student living there the latter half of this year.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by The Mr Z
M is very much directly opposite the bar! The entrance to M is in line with the Bar entrance!

Yeah, I suspect that we might have dropped the staircase names by 4th year, just because there will be fewer of us!

Ah yes, in which case there was an American exchange student living there the latter half of this year.

Clearly my bad memory then! Either way, it's not like U is very far and it's better than M anyway :p:

In my year I think it was only us and another group known by staircase names. We've retained ours, I don't know about the others. It probably helps that most of us are staying for fourth year, there were only 4 people leaving out of 11 :smile:

Ohhh, I want to go back nowwwww :frown: Three and a half more weeks...
Clearly my bad memory then! Either way, it's not like U is very far and it's better than M anyway :p:

In my year I think it was only us and another group known by staircase names. We've retained ours, I don't know about the others. It probably helps that most of us are staying for fourth year, there were only 4 people leaving out of 11 :smile:

Ohhh, I want to go back nowwwww :frown: Three and a half more weeks...

Really, we have lots of groups known by staircase, but I'm not sure U is one of them. V, M, M2, QR (Q and R together), T, and more!
Really, we have lots of groups known by staircase, but I'm not sure U is one of them. V, M, M2, QR (Q and R together), T, and more!

In my year I only knew of U and L2. Most people didn't clique up in staircase groups though! And to be fair, half of U staircase didn't actually live on U, they just became associated with the name because they hung out there all the time :p: We had three from T, one from V and one from M2 I think, and seven who lived on U.
How competitive is Law in Emmanuel in regards to other colleges such as Trinity?:smile:

GCSE Grades- 5 A*s( English Literature,Sociology,Religious Studies, ICT,Dance Drama) 2 A's (History, English Language), 3 B's (Maths, Double Science)

AS Results- History- A
Government and Politics -A
Sociology- A
English Lit- A
A2 Subjects- History, English Lit, Politics

UCAS 2012- LAW
looking at Cambridge,Reading,Nottingham,LSE ?
Original post by jazzyforever
How competitive is Law in Emmanuel in regards to other colleges such as Trinity?:smile:

GCSE Grades- 5 A*s( English Literature,Sociology,Religious Studies, ICT,Dance Drama) 2 A's (History, English Language), 3 B's (Maths, Double Science)

AS Results- History- A
Government and Politics -A
Sociology- A
English Lit- A
A2 Subjects- History, English Lit, Politics

UCAS 2012- LAW
looking at Cambridge,Reading,Nottingham,LSE ?

Sidenote - does somebody want to volunteer to create a canned reply on not being able to play the college statistics game?

In reply to your question, the competitiveness of Emma is irrelevant; the competitiveness of Trinity is irrelevant, and the competitiveness of Churchill is irrelevant because the Winter Pool system ensures that Cambridge is uniformly competitive.

I didn't do A-levels, but as far as I can tell, your GCSEs are slightly on the weak side, and your A-levels will depend at least in part on your UMS scores. But there's no reason you shouldn't apply, especially if you have real motivation, a brilliant personal statement and a glowing reference.
Hi, I'm going to be starting at Emmanuel this year :biggrin: I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Rowley Mainhood Award. I'd be interested to know what the award involves (i.e. if it's worth bothering) and what kind of thing they expect from your school in the 'brief letter of support' (though I seriously doubt I'll qualify anyway :colondollar: ).
I was in U when I was in first year, my group of friends is still known as U staircase :biggrin: it's a really nice room, a grade 4 so pretty big with a partition so you can have half as a study and half as a bedroom. Ground floor (obviously) with a view of the side of the library. It's also directly opposite the bar, so look forward to that :p: all in all, great choice!

Excellent, it should be a great room - are there only 2 rooms on the ground floor? Or how many rooms are there?

Either way, as a ground floor room you'll have to get out and about the staircase to meet people, everyone else will walk right past you and up the stairs on the first few days, so be sure to be conspicuous. Ground floor rooms are great once you get to know everyone because they will stop by on the way upstairs, but during Fresher's week you need to work to get noticed.

Also, people outside can see in, so don't forget to close the curtains.

Thanks for the good advice! Ground floor rooms sounds great as long as I know everyone in the staircase.
Original post by Hypocrism
Excellent, it should be a great room - are there only 2 rooms on the ground floor? Or how many rooms are there?

Yeah, only two rooms on the first floor and five on each of the three floors above, so seventeen in total :smile:

Just drafting our college parent email to you, you should have it by Tuesday!
Got mine through: V1 South :smile: Anybody know what this one is like? Thanks for this:

Either way, as a ground floor room you'll have to get out and about the staircase to meet people, everyone else will walk right past you and up the stairs on the first few days, so be sure to be conspicuous. Ground floor rooms are great once you get to know everyone because they will stop by on the way upstairs, but during Fresher's week you need to work to get noticed.

Mr Z, will bear it in mind.
Original post by Gooner231
Got mine through: V1 South :smile: Anybody know what this one is like?

Also really nice! Another ground floor one obviously, and right at the end of the corridor in South Court so potentially a bit quieter. My boyfriend was in V2 in first year and I loved his room, V1 is (I think - although Mr Z may correct me) basically the same. Another grade 4 with a partition so you can shut off about a third of the room. My boyfriend had a view of a skip in first year, but the library work is all done now so you should just have a lovely view of people going to and from there :p: One of the big advantages to that room, imo, is that the ground floor shower in V is REALLY nice (well, comparatively).
Also really nice! Another ground floor one obviously, and right at the end of the corridor in South Court so potentially a bit quieter. My boyfriend was in V2 in first year and I loved his room, V1 is (I think - although Mr Z may correct me) basically the same. Another grade 4 with a partition so you can shut off about a third of the room. My boyfriend had a view of a skip in first year, but the library work is all done now so you should just have a lovely view of people going to and from there :p: One of the big advantages to that room, imo, is that the ground floor shower in V is REALLY nice (well, comparatively).

Ah sounds excellent :smile: and any comparative shower improvement can only be good. Also, wondering if you can clear something up: the freshers' pack says no kettles in rooms, the one online says they're ok, and both have been bandied about on the facebook group. Is it bedder dependent or something like that?
Original post by Hypocrism

Thanks for the good advice! Ground floor rooms sounds great as long as I know everyone in the staircase.

You know me! U11 :biggrin:
Original post by sopheforous
You know me! U11 :biggrin:

Excellent, go the bowl-shaped staircases :wink:
Ah sounds excellent :smile: and any comparative shower improvement can only be good. Also, wondering if you can clear something up: the freshers' pack says no kettles in rooms, the one online says they're ok, and both have been bandied about on the facebook group. Is it bedder dependent or something like that?

Basically nobody actually follows that rule, so bring a kettle anyway and you can always just shove it in your gyp room if your bedder decides to hold you to it... Your gyp room is quite big and nice anyway and is only between two so you may find that you want to keep your kitchen appliances in there. However, it's not really a problem and people get away with far worse - my friend in first year had a wok with hot plate and an extra large mean lean etc grilling machine and probably his kettle and toaster too as well as a few chairs from the bar in his room and nobody batted an eyelid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Got mine through: V1 South :smile: Anybody know what this one is like? Thanks for this:

Mr Z, will bear it in mind.

Hello! Chris' old room! Ah, good memories. Everyone always gathered in that room. A lot of banter started there, so take anything a second year tells you regarding it with a heavy dose of salt, most likely an in-joke than truthful.

Experience there has taught that friendship can be bought through offering Tea.

Zoe is right, just like V2, but a mirror image, and other details are correct too. Further from the bar (10 second walk rather than 5 second) means fewer drunk people manage to stagger that far after bar extension, and the music is only faint even when at its loudest.

Also, has the best gyp room on the staircase because it's the only one with a combi-oven instead of just a microwave. (It's not a real oven, it's a microwave with some oven-imitation abilities, but it is capable of roasting!)

Recommend you also get a George Foreman grill and toaster in there, and you can do some decent cooking.

Regarding kettles in rooms - it's a rule no one ever stuck to nor ever will. Also, the bedder, Rosie, is LOVELY, and will completely ignore any rule breaking!
Hello! Chris' old room! Ah, good memories. Everyone always gathered in that room. A lot of banter started there, so take anything a second year tells you regarding it with a heavy dose of salt, most likely an in-joke than truthful.

Experience there has taught that friendship can be bought through offering Tea.

Zoe is right, just like V2, but a mirror image, and other details are correct too. Further from the bar (10 second walk rather than 5 second) means fewer drunk people manage to stagger that far after bar extension, and the music is only faint even when at its loudest.

Also, has the best gyp room on the staircase because it's the only one with a combi-oven instead of just a microwave. (It's not a real oven, it's a microwave with some oven-imitation abilities, but it is capable of roasting!)

Recommend you also get a George Foreman grill and toaster in there, and you can do some decent cooking.

Regarding kettles in rooms - it's a rule no one ever stuck to nor ever will. Also, the bedder, Rosie, is LOVELY, and will completely ignore any rule breaking!

All sounds sublime. I look forward to the second year banter... Regarding tea, I hate tea, but I plan to go for playing some inoffensive yet decent music that people will notice. As well as just existing, which I feel might work quite well too...
All sounds sublime. I look forward to the second year banter... Regarding tea, I hate tea, but I plan to go for playing some inoffensive yet decent music that people will notice. As well as just existing, which I feel might work quite well too...

That won't last. I also hated tea when I started; now I have a tea collection that takes up an entire shelf and a cast iron loose leaf teapot. Cambridge does things to you.

A lot of people like tea, even if you don't drink it yourself it would be a good idea to offer.

Just existing isn't the best tactic with your room, because it's both ground floor and on the opposite side to the staircase and main door in (which are opposite each other), so people WILL just walk past and up the stairs without even realising your room even exists.

To get known you will have to get out, and get people in.
That won't last. I also hated tea when I started; now I have a tea collection that takes up an entire shelf and a cast iron loose leaf teapot. Cambridge does things to you.

Nahhhh I will just head to the Whittards near by and stock up on various coffees. If I have gyp room space, an espresso machine is looking ever more attractive... or just one of the little ones/a cafetiere. Oh coffee. However, if the premonition comes true you will be first to know :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending