The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Mr Z
So, they're just lurking around and haven't found the threads dedicated to their university and college?

I must say I've spotted one or two here and there.

Well most of them are just people who :lurk: (you know who you are :ninja:) and usually there are enough people who is a particular college+subject+year combination for any that do post to not get definitively identified.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by ukdragon37
Well most of them are just people who :lurk: (you know who you are :ninja:) and usually there are enough people who is a particular college+subject+year combination for any that do post to not get definitively identified.

I hate to say it, but I fear that I have ruled myself out of the latter category :p:

Thank you for the good lucks Z and cp, very much appreciated. I am actually excited about going back now, so I hope it doesn't get ruined in the first week by an awful exam! I have missed Emma so much :frown:
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
It'd be really calming to find someone from TSR to chat to before the interview, let alone a few taster questions. :u:

Pick me. :smile:
I'm going to attempt to help out with interviews this year too :smile: If they'll let me, as I'm possibly too old to pose as an applicant anymore (at the grand old age of 22). However, the guy in John Lewis just thought I was about to start uni, so it's possible :p:

A special tip for all Emma freshers who value their sleep - get yourself to John Lewis and get a velour padded mattress topper. £30 to make your bed about a million times more comfy and not horrible and plasticky. Also bring your own duvets and pillows. I hate the college ones.
Original post by Zoedotdot
I'm going to attempt to help out with interviews this year too :smile: If they'll let me, as I'm possibly too old to pose as an applicant anymore (at the grand old age of 22). However, the guy in John Lewis just thought I was about to start uni, so it's possible :p:

A special tip for all Emma freshers who value their sleep - get yourself to John Lewis and get a velour padded mattress topper. £30 to make your bed about a million times more comfy and not horrible and plasticky. Also bring your own duvets and pillows. I hate the college ones.

Bring? BRING? I don't have the space to bring a duvet. Sadly. I might buy one since it's so close to John Lewis.
Original post by Groat
Why would it be necessary for you to blend in and pose as an applicant? :colondollar:

25% discount at John Lewis across the road from Emmanuel. :sexface:

I don't know, everyone in the thread was talking about how the helpers don't always reveal themselves to be helpers straight away.

Original post by Gooner231
Bring? BRING? I don't have the space to bring a duvet. Sadly. I might buy one since it's so close to John Lewis.

You think that's bad... I came up to Emma with the first of two car loads today. This included no fewer than four suitcases of clothes, a third of my books (which took up a suitcase and a half), my entire shoe collection in a giant picnic hamper, two plants that I've somehow managed to keep alive for the past three years and other assorted bits. The rest is being driven up by my extraordinarily patient mother next Sunday. Be prepared to accumulate a whole lot of stuff while you're here - the first time I came up all my things fitted in the car with five people sitting in it, now even two people is a push with half of my things.
I don't know, everyone in the thread was talking about how the helpers don't always reveal themselves to be helpers straight away.

You think that's bad... I came up to Emma with the first of two car loads today. This included no fewer than four suitcases of clothes, a third of my books (which took up a suitcase and a half), my entire shoe collection in a giant picnic hamper, two plants that I've somehow managed to keep alive for the past three years and other assorted bits. The rest is being driven up by my extraordinarily patient mother next Sunday. Be prepared to accumulate a whole lot of stuff while you're here - the first time I came up all my things fitted in the car with five people sitting in it, now even two people is a push with half of my things.

Erh, wow. I like the idea of accumulation though, it's a positive thing. I've got almost everything bought now which is a relief, and things are steadily being packed into boxes never meant for them. I'll be taking books out of my tennis bag, I know it. Oh, I know they specify certain picture hooks in domestic matters et al but is it ok to just use pushpins for pictures and the like? On actual walls rather than a corkboard, I mean.
Erh, wow. I like the idea of accumulation though, it's a positive thing. I've got almost everything bought now which is a relief, and things are steadily being packed into boxes never meant for them. I'll be taking books out of my tennis bag, I know it. Oh, I know they specify certain picture hooks in domestic matters et al but is it ok to just use pushpins for pictures and the like? On actual walls rather than a corkboard, I mean.

Pushpins aren't okay on the actual walls - you may end up paying for damage to the room, and then the person the year after you will have to live for a year looking at all the holes you put in the walls :p: You can officially use white tack, although I used the blue stuff as well without any issues. Things fall down a bit, but it's generally alright.
Completely hypothetically, though, and definitely not tried and tested, if paint does come off, sometimes you an prittstick it back on, and if it's high enough, it's not glaringly obvious...
Pushpins aren't okay on the actual walls - you may end up paying for damage to the room, and then the person the year after you will have to live for a year looking at all the holes you put in the walls :p: You can officially use white tack, although I used the blue stuff as well without any issues. Things fall down a bit, but it's generally alright.

Oh you CAN use white tac? So many lies in domestic matters. So many lies. Surely their picture hooks require holes in the walls...? :tongue:
Original post by Canned Door
Completely hypothetically, though, and definitely not tried and tested, if paint does come off, sometimes you an prittstick it back on, and if it's high enough, it's not glaringly obvious...

Entirely hypothetical and in no way whatsoever anecdotal solutions to room problems are my favourite kind, cheers :rolleyes:
Oh you CAN use white tac? So many lies in domestic matters. So many lies. Surely their picture hooks require holes in the walls...? :tongue:

I've been told before that white tac is acceptable so I would guess that still stands. I've certainly been using it since I arrived. I actually don't know how the picture hooks work as I've never used them, but afaik they don't require you to create holes.

But yes, better to just see what it's like when you get here. I think my room probably breaks about a billion rules in domestic matters but I've never had any complaints. As long as you don't bring a candle or put glass in your bin you're basically fine.
Original post by Canned Door

Also, like, hypothetically, if there's a problem with the anchor point for your laptop Kensington cable and it's too loose, your parents could fill the gap and buy a tester pot of paint to camouflage the filler. You never know, the paint might be so useful that if you leave it under your sink for future use, the bedders take it away when you're at home over the holidays... :ninja:
Original post by Tortious
Also, like, hypothetically, if there's a problem with the anchor point for your laptop Kensington cable and it's too loose, your parents could fill the gap and buy a tester pot of paint to camouflage the filler. You never know, the paint might be so useful that if you leave it under your sink for future use, the bedders take it away when you're at home over the holidays... :ninja:

Do you actually just read every thread on this forum? :p:
Do you actually just read every thread on this forum? :p:

No, I follow you around, but not in a creepy way. Will you be my godmother? :puppyeyes:

Well, it is partly that (cos you usually have interesting stuff to say!), but mostly that I posted here once and now I'm subscribed to it. I feel sorry for TSR newbies who are freshers - they've successfully found the "right place" for their query (i.e. a college thread), but they don't realise that it's been dead for months because nobody from their college is on TSR. I tend to post generic advice where I can. :yes: The latest trend has been: "Can I wear ___ for matriculation?"
No, I follow you around, but not in a creepy way. Will you be my godmother? :puppyeyes:

Well, it is partly that (cos you usually have interesting stuff to say!), but mostly that I posted here once and now I'm subscribed to it. I feel sorry for TSR newbies who are freshers - they've successfully found the "right place" for their query (i.e. a college thread), but they don't realise that it's been dead for months because nobody from their college is on TSR. I tend to post generic advice where I can. :yes: The latest trend has been: "Can I wear ___ for matriculation?"

:rofl:

I'm subscribed to really random threads as well (like the law thread, because I moved a ton of spammy law posts in there once and then told you all off for spamming). Although subscribing to all the deader threads is actually a really good idea! Impressed by the dedication, both to TSR and to the pearls of wisdom I sow across the forum :p:
:rofl:

I'm subscribed to really random threads as well (like the law thread, because I moved a ton of spammy law posts in there once and then told you all off for spamming).

:giggle:

Didn't you also say "all this is on topic because you're geeking out over barristers' ribbons"? :holmes:

Although subscribing to all the deader threads is actually a really good idea! Impressed by the dedication, both to TSR and to the pearls of wisdom I sow across the forum :p:

Well, it's not all the threads, but occasionally they catch my eye (and Geth and I tend to meet a lot in random ones too, so sometimes it seems to help to get her attention if I've posted last).
:giggle:

Didn't you also say "all this is on topic because you're geeking out over barristers' ribbons"? :holmes:

Something to that effect :p: I tend to cut the subject and college threads a lot of slack though, partly because I spam up Emma and MML so much, and partly because it's probably good to allow people to bond over barristers' ribbons once in a while.

Well, it's not all the threads, but occasionally they catch my eye (and Geth and I tend to meet a lot in random ones too, so sometimes it seems to help to get her attention if I've posted last).

I should really do more of that kind of thing. Although I have a very long list of things that I should probably do more of on here :frown: (and if anyone has any suggestions for good things to do with the forum then please fire them my way...).
Reply 1558

*quiet voice* use whatever coloured tac you like, just make sure you don't pull the paint off. I've never seen anyone enforce the rule. Except a certain porter usually called by two initials, you'll know who I mean when you get there - just make sure you don't give him occasion to come to your room :ninja:
Original post by Melz0r
*quiet voice* use whatever coloured tac you like, just make sure you don't pull the paint off. I've never seen anyone enforce the rule. Except a certain porter usually called by two initials, you'll know who I mean when you get there - just make sure you don't give him occasion to come to your room :ninja:

Going to PM you about this.

Latest

Trending

Trending