The Student Room Group

Court for missing speed awareness course

So I got done for speeding 62mph in a 50 n had the chance to do a speed awareness course. I got to the place 20mins late because I couldn't find it. So they told me not to worry and that i can just rebook it without having to pay any charges again. I had to ring them up and they said i can book it for the next two days but they didn't have any space for me. They said i had to call the police to get an extension. I called the police and they gave me the camera enforcement unit. I have been ringing them constant for 5 days over 30 calls but no answer it just rings. The police said you can keep holding but their busy i continued to hold up to 35mins and nothing. So I kept trying the next few days same thing. I eventually gave up and was trying to email them but couldn't find an email address only contact number. I have been really busy in the week to sort it out and in that time they have sent me a courts summon. I have never been to court or had any trouble with the police. So now I don't no what to do because they expect me to fill out a form and peals guilty or not guilty. I agree that am guilty for speeding ( 62 in 50) but I disagree with the fact that it's their fault I couldn't get into contact with and now from just a small speed ticket i have to put up with all this hassle.

Hope someone can help me thanks..
to be honest there are plenty of ways to have prevented this
1. get up earlier/make sure you know where the place is, you wouldn't turn up late for a job interview you'd give yourself lots of extra time or visit the place before so you knew you would be on time... this was also important and you should have put more effort in
2. it should have been a priority to get it done so that should have meant asking for a day off work etc if necessary, if you lose pay/annoy your boss that's part of the consequences of speeding
3. 30 calls over 5 days is not a lot for something you really need to deal with
4. if you have called 10 times and each time the hold wait is 30+ mins, just call before you take a shower/do something and leave the phone on hold for as long as it takes, you were speeding you need to deal with the consequences... I've waited longer than that on hold when I've needed to deal with something

so in summary, I doubt your excuses are going to help anything, you best accept the consequences
Reply 2
I fully understand the that i should of visited the place as it was really important. I left an hour early ( it takes 16mins) and the lady on the phone gave me a post code n said it was a golf course i looked it up and went there apparently there's 5 golf courses in Warwickshire who knew. I didn't go to university on that day just for that.

They said their lines were busy n it kept going back to the person whom asked me if I still wanted to wait which i said yes ass it's important but it kept constantly going back to that person so they can transfer me n one time that person cut the phone off me

I plead guilty to speeding but I don't think it's fully my fault for not getting into contact with them
Reply 3
Life's a bitch and some lessons are learned the hard way.

You could have phoned the court and asked for guidance.

You could have visited a Police station and explained the situation.

One of the big lessons for you here is: learn how to plan your journeys better so you can get to places on time without speeding. For example, a dry run to find the place would have been a good idea.
Original post by LoganYR1
I fully understand the that i should of visited the place as it was really important. I left an hour early ( it takes 16mins) and the lady on the phone gave me a post code n said it was a golf course i looked it up and went there apparently there's 5 golf courses in Warwickshire who knew. I didn't go to university on that day just for that.

They said their lines were busy n it kept going back to the person whom asked me if I still wanted to wait which i said yes ass it's important but it kept constantly going back to that person so they can transfer me n one time that person cut the phone off me

I plead guilty to speeding but I don't think it's fully my fault for not getting into contact with them

you can make as many excuses as you like, I wouldn't leave for something important until I was 100% sure of getting there, I got to my last job interview 45 minutes early despite only not knowing about the last 500m of the journey at most and having google mapped it on street view, with a map in my pocket... there is no way it takes '16' minutes, that may be a prediction on google or your satnav but you don't know how long it should take and you clearly didn't know where it was, looking it up on the day and realising oops there is 5 golf courses is still your fault, I would never ever wait til even the day before to check on my route

it doesn't matter, I've been left on hold that long, I've been passed around, if someone cut you off (which was only one time btw) then you should have called straight back... this was important and since it came about as a result of your speeding it was 100% YOUR responsibility to sort it out regardless of how much effort that took
Reply 5
Hi i was sent a letter I agreed to do the course I accidentally paid the court and I went to book for the course It said am withdrawn so how can i get refund and book for the course am so nervous am so so scared as i dont want to loose point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending