The Student Room Group

"if you have any doubts about medicine it is not for you"

(edited 8 years ago)
Bull**** in a nutshell.

You can have doubts about any career and still go for it. Medicine is only a job
If you don't have any doubts about medicine, you haven't thought about it hard enough.
Being a medic shouldn't take over your life, if you don't have any doubts you clearly haven't looked into it enough... this isnt a perfect world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sycopation
Being a medic shouldn't take over your life, if you don't have any doubts you clearly haven't looked into it enough... this isnt a perfect world

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fourth year friends would disagree with that, have to tailor life towards living in the hospital apparently :confused: then again guess it's not too bad, good preparation for the future...

Although I'm a little sceptical since I've seen them out on the town more than any one lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doubts about whether you'll be able to cope with the job, the workload etc are fine and I'm sure nearly everyone has had them along the way.

Dithering between whether to apply for medicine or law or engineering (as a lot of people on here seem to do) suggests not so much that you're having doubts about medicine but that you're just a bit confused on the whole and would benefit from some work experience or thinking things through a bit more before applying.

Original post by Sycopation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well ideally it shouldn't, but it pretty much does in my experience!
Reply 6
Kind of a load of rubbish tbh, everyone questions their choices no matter what they are. There's always going to be a point at university/sixth form/your job etc where you think "ugh, why didn't I just do X job instead? I wouldn't have to deal with this and that..."

Literally everyone. Even medicine students.

I guess what they're trying to say is that if you've got a couple of other options and you're kind of not enthusiastic about medicine, then maybe it's not for you. But they just worded it in a silly way.
Reply 7
It's normal to doubt and I'd certainly like my own doctors to be rational people who question their own decisions. However when people are 'stuck' between careers as diverse as medicine and investment banking, for example, it makes me wonder whether it's just prestige that is motivating them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by 506rl
Kind of a load of rubbish tbh, everyone questions their choices no matter what they are. There's always going to be a point at university/sixth form/your job etc where you think "ugh, why didn't I just do X job instead? I wouldn't have to deal with this and that..."

Literally everyone. Even medicine students.

I guess what they're trying to say is that if you've got a couple of other options and you're kind of not enthusiastic about medicine, then maybe it's not for you. But they just worded it in a silly way.

Bless you. You haven't met some of the applicants we get in here that come out with the thread title to dissuade other people from applying/support their own competitive over-eagerness. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending