Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do apologise I feel I may have posted this in the wrong 'topic'.

I've recently finished studying and I've just had to move home after my relationship broke down with my ex. Now living in a quiet town opposed to a big city I was looking into working two jobs for the next few months to boost my finances and get me back on my feet.

I've been offered two jobs of which:
    Monday - Saturday working 9am - 5pm
    and the second:
    Monday - Friday working 10pm - 0430am

The lack of sleep doesn't phase me as I'm used to working on a farm which was stupidly long hours with very little sleep time. Both the jobs are within two minutes of my house so I'd have plenty time to sleep in between the two and it would only be for few months whilst I get myself on my feet again.

But I just want to confirm... Can I legally work the two jobs? I'm quite excited at the prospect of working the two jobs!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can provided neither has a clause in the contract that forbids it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, but I'd rethink doing this. It looks like it will wear you down with the hours. You won't have any time for yourself and will be sleeping two times a day.

Are you sure that you want to do this?

ReputationRep:
    the maximum number of hours you can work in a week (without signing an opt out agreement) is 48 so no, those hours would not be legal

I doubt any employer would agree to it and you can, in many places, be fired for having another job without permission - also very few employers would agree to an opt out agreement for the same reason, they want you to be giving your all to them not coming in exhausted after a night shift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    the maximum number of hours you can work in a week (without signing an opt out agreement) is 48 so no, those hours would not be legal
    The European Working Hours Directive restricts the number of hours an employer can impose on an employee, as an average, over a period. They do not prevent someone choosing to do those hours over multiple employers.

(Original post by doodle_333)
    I doubt any employer would agree to it and you can, in many places, be fired for having another job without permission - also very few employers would agree to an opt out agreement for the same reason, they want you to be giving your all to them not coming in exhausted after a night shift
    If it ain't in the contract, there's nothing they can do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can. Just opt out of the working time directive.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.