The Student Room Group

psyc. at Glasgow or Strathclyde?

Hi, please tell me;

what should be my firm and my insurance?
In which university will it be easier to get a 2:1?
Where work load is manageable? i cant bear 3 to 4 hours study each day! because i need to do a job as well for fee.
Which one employers prefer most?

Offers: i got 2 for each university!

Glasgow: AAB including maths at A-Levels ( joint honours in business and management and psychology) and (joint honours in psychology and business economics).

Strathclyde: ABB at A-levels (joint honours in psychology and HRM) and (single honours in psychology).

My preference: hrm and psychology

Confusion: Glasgow is in Russell group and more internationally recognised. I am an international student.Strathclyde is however more within uk more accredited with less burden i guess? but when i go to other countries with strath's degree it will not be much liked over glasgow?

Can i choose Strathclyde as firm even though it has lower grades requirement?

And if i choose Glasgow as firm and meet their requirements but afterwards change my mind? and vice versa for Strathclyde.

THANKS!
maybe try whatuni.com to compare rankings, and employment rate specific to the psychology course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by majatheaztec
maybe try whatuni.com to compare rankings, and employment rate specific to the psychology course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Glasgow is definitely the better university for psychology judging by league tables. On the Guardian's, Glasgow is 2nd in the UK! A degree from either university will look impressive, but Glasgow more so as it is a Russell Group uni.

Generally, people have a university with higher conditions as their firm and lower conditions as their insurance, so as they definitely make it into their insurance if not their firm.

Really it just comes down to personal preference. Have you been to open days for either university? I found that really helped my decision as I also have offers from both of these universities.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by isabelles
Glasgow is definitely the better university for psychology judging by league tables. On the Guardian's, Glasgow is 2nd in the UK! A degree from either university will look impressive, but Glasgow more so as it is a Russell Group uni.

Generally, people have a university with higher conditions as their firm and lower conditions as their insurance, so as they definitely make it into their insurance if not their firm.

Really it just comes down to personal preference. Have you been to open days for either university? I found that really helped my decision as I also have offers from both of these universities.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually i am an international student so decision for me is based on only internet related information. I am far away from the real thing there plus i am also interested in getting a job after undergraduate to per-sue further studies in uk before coming back finally to my own country. Fees are too much for us and thus, decision is important; especially i am concerned about the workload in both uni..s , as i need to do some job as well to fund my education a bit! Thanks a lot BTW.
Original post by Haris Tariq
Actually i am an international student so decision for me is based on only internet related information. I am far away from the real thing there plus i am also interested in getting a job after undergraduate to per-sue further studies in uk before coming back finally to my own country. Fees are too much for us and thus, decision is important; especially i am concerned about the workload in both uni..s , as i need to do some job as well to fund my education a bit! Thanks a lot BTW.

Well Glasgow uni is one of the old ones, and it's very beautiful. The side of Glasgow where it is located is much quieter and nicer than the side where Strathclyde is located. Strathclyde is more modern but definitely not ultra-modern it's not very pretty but it's nice enough, and it's right beside the town centre (which can't be said for UoG a subway ride away from the city centre).

Obviously I can't be sure as I haven't actually been a student at either university yet but I'm fairly sure that the work load should be the same. The degree you get is the same from both unis so I don't see why one would be more difficult the difficulty is getting in in the first place. I know of loads of people who have part-time jobs while studying, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem :smile:

Both universities are highly looked upon within Scotland, but you probably know more about their international reputation than I do (since you're an international student). I think that is something you really should think about if you're planning on returning back home after your studies as employers might pay attention to that kind of thing.

Another important thing is to have a look at the course content. If you can find what modules are available in years 3 and 4 then see which university has modules that interest you the most :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by isabelles
Well Glasgow uni is one of the old ones, and it's very beautiful. The side of Glasgow where it is located is much quieter and nicer than the side where Strathclyde is located. Strathclyde is more modern but definitely not ultra-modern it's not very pretty but it's nice enough, and it's right beside the town centre (which can't be said for UoG a subway ride away from the city centre).

Obviously I can't be sure as I haven't actually been a student at either university yet but I'm fairly sure that the work load should be the same. The degree you get is the same from both unis so I don't see why one would be more difficult the difficulty is getting in in the first place. I know of loads of people who have part-time jobs while studying, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem :smile:

Both universities are highly looked upon within Scotland, but you probably know more about their international reputation than I do (since you're an international student). I think that is something you really should think about if you're planning on returning back home after your studies as employers might pay attention to that kind of thing.

Another important thing is to have a look at the course content. If you can find what modules are available in years 3 and 4 then see which university has modules that interest you the most :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh i am so grateful for the comprehensive reply and your help. I will look for the content in the courses soon. Thanks a lot!
Reply 7
Original post by snowfall12
Oh i am so grateful for the comprehensive reply and your help. I will look for the content in the courses soon. Thanks a lot!

Hi, I know this was posted quite a while ago but I have to make the same decision regarding which uni to go to Strathclyde or Glasgow, how were the teachers for the Psychology course were they helpful to people struggling with the course? I'm just worried about that as I've heard from some people that the teachers can be quite snobbish and unhelpful so right now I'm leaning more towards Strathclyde. A reply would be much appreciated and any advice would be great, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest