The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Students of 2015/16

Hi,

I have two conditional offers to Aber for English-type degrees, due to start September 2015, and was wondering if anyone else is going? It'd be great to turn up already knowing a couple of people from here :smile: I also want to know people's opinions on catering/self catering, which accommodation takes their fancy and what kind of experience you're looking for.
Thanks!! :smile::smile:
Reply 1
Original post by laurapresents
Hi,

I have two conditional offers to Aber for English-type degrees, due to start September 2015, and was wondering if anyone else is going? It'd be great to turn up already knowing a couple of people from here :smile: I also want to know people's opinions on catering/self catering, which accommodation takes their fancy and what kind of experience you're looking for.

I've been given a conditional for international politics which I think I will take, mainly because the department is actually better than Cardiff. My friend also graduated from this course and loved it. I mean, I loved Cardiff but still. I can always travel there if I'm bored.

I'm personally going to be going into self catered halls. (Health reasons) My friend recommended PJM mainly because of the community feel you get. I'd love to do ensuite but tbh it's not essential. And PJM is basically a house so I won't wake up people when I get up early.

I'm a mature student (23 when I start), so I doubt I'll be going there for drinking. Likely I'll concentrate on my studies, travelling and societies (I got about 4-5 I wish to join). Then again I'm introverted so I'll likely be on my PC or on my music since I'll be bringing all my tech with me (debating on a Chromebook, Surface or building my PC dunno yet).
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by blaidd
I've been given a conditional for international politics which I think I will take, mainly because the department is actually better than Cardiff. My friend also graduated from this course and loved it. I mean, I loved Cardiff but still. I can always travel there if I'm bored.

I'm personally going to be going into self catered halls. (Health reasons) My friend recommended PJM mainly because of the community feel you get. I'd love to do ensuite but tbh it's not essential. And PJM is basically a house so I won't wake up people when I get up early.

I'm a mature student (23 when I start), so I doubt I'll be going there for drinking. Likely I'll concentrate on my studies, travelling and societies (I got about 4-5 I wish to join). Then again I'm introverted so I'll likely be on my PC or on my music since I'll be bringing all my tech with me (debating on a Chromebook, Surface or building my PC dunno yet).

Congratulations! Sounds like you have it all figured out.. I've just bought a Chromebook today, and it's definitely different to a standard laptop, but I rather like it :smile:
Original post by blaidd

Like you, I'll be a mature student (22 when starting) and likewise I am more interesting in studying for the 3 years rather than partying much at all. But who knows what my attitude will be once I get there. (Assuming I get my offer/unconditional tho - I'm sitting the Entrance Exam so got that to look forward to).

I haven't decided on what accom I will go for if I go to Aber... but since my plans are to spend most of my time in the library going for the budget option seems sensible. And if I reach my goal of getting the Entrance Scholarship the extra 1k a year basically ensures no need for me to get a job, and enough for a fair few cigars :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by SamKeene
Like you, I'll be a mature student (22 when starting) and likewise I am more interesting in studying for the 3 years rather than partying much at all. But who knows what my attitude will be once I get there. (Assuming I get my offer/unconditional tho - I'm sitting the Entrance Exam so got that to look forward to).

I haven't decided on what accom I will go for if I go to Aber... but since my plans are to spend most of my time in the library going for the budget option seems sensible. And if I reach my goal of getting the Entrance Scholarship the extra 1k a year basically ensures no need for me to get a job, and enough for a fair few cigars :wink:

Lmao cigars. What is it with men and old times ways of smoking? I have a mate who's started pipe smoking like this month it's ridiculous.

And I'm lucky enough to get extra grants because of my location and me being a welsh student (ALG, Alumni grant). Too much on my plate for the entrance exam sadly sigh. Thankfully if I take a part time job I'd have a good bit of spending money for food and extras (accomm would come to around 33% then)

But I'm seriously debating on PJM or the Seafront. Both look good and, while I'd love the modern look of penglais, I can't afford it. Eh.

And the library will be a popular venue for me, as well as the restaurants and cafes. Some of them look amazing.
Reply 5
Hi,

I would strongly recommend Rosser Halls, as they are centrally based on campus for lectures and the Hugh Owen Library and the ensuite is definitely worth it!
However if you don't want ensuite halls I would recommend PJM as it is a little community in itself.
Good Luck in September! :smile:
Original post by mjdaf
I would strongly recommend Rosser Halls, as they are centrally based on campus for lectures and the Hugh Owen Library and the ensuite is definitely worth it!
However if you don't want ensuite halls I would recommend PJM as it is a little community in itself.
Good Luck in September! :smile:

Thanks, I have accepted my place at aber because I got an unconditional from the entrance exams; cwrt mawr is my first choice, rosser my second!
Hi,

Hi there :smile:,

I'm studying Agriculture in Sept 2015 and have applied for Trefloyne accommodation. I was stuck between Trefloyne and Cwrt Marw, though went with Trefloyne as it has carpeted bedroom floors, whereas Cwrt Marw has vinyl, plus the rooms are supposed to be slightly larger.

Cant wait for September to come ! :biggrin:
Hi ☺️
Ive got an unconditional offer to study Criminology with Applied Psychology in sept, ive chosen Rosser for my accommodation, mainly because i wanted the en-suite, looking forward to September 😝

Quick Reply

Latest