The Student Room Group

Midwifery or Nursing?

Hi:smile:
I'm in sixth form and I think I know what I want to do and that's midwifery. However I'm also interested in specific areas of nursing such as school nursing, mental health nursing and also as a nurse practitioner. I love my A levels (Health&Social, Biology and Psychology) and I think this is a good combination in order to get me to University. I want a rewarding career but I don't want to have to go through years of training in an area I'm not interested in to end up in one specific area of nursing. However I know multiple people studying nursing and they like it but they say the first few years of being in the profession consists of all the dirty work like cleaning up after people and I don't want to do all this because everyone I know is constantly complaining about it.
Thank-you !
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
Hi:smile:
I'm in sixth form and I think I know what I want to do and that's midwifery. However I'm also interested in specific areas of nursing such as school nursing, mental health nursing and also as a nurse practitioner. I love my A levels (Health&Social, Biology and Psychology) and I think this is a good combination in order to get me to University. I want a rewarding career but I don't want to have to go through years of training in an area I'm not interested in to end up in one specific area of nursing. However I know multiple people studying nursing and they like it but they say the first few years of being in the profession consists of all the dirty work like cleaning up after people and I don't want to do all this because everyone I know is constantly complaining about it.
Thank-you !

Forget about those people's insight about nursing. If they're complaining about doing the "dirty work" then maybe nursing is not for them. There are plenty of people who wish to be in their position studying nursing, and for them to complain about things like that is very ungrateful and selfish.

What YOU need to do is to get EXPERIENCE in the caring profession, so YOU can get an idea of what nursing is about and whether it is the right career for you or not.

Volunteer at your local hospital, nursing home, day care, charitable organisation etc.

The experience will help you with your university application, not what a couple of student nurses said to you.

Direct midwifery experience will be a bit tricky, because you have to be 18+ to get work experience at the labour/maternity areas.

You are studying good subjects as well :biggrin:!! Very nice.

Remember, the experience you gain outside your academic studies, your passion to study the degree, extra-curricular activities and current subjects will make your selection universities interested.

Good Luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the above, getting experience will allow you to have a better idea of what you want to do. Ive worked as a carer and decided that my end goal is to become a midwife but give me a wider range of options I'm applying to study adult nursing first. Whichever branch of nursing you do or midwifery there will be 'dirty work' and thats just part of the job! Hope that helped xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending