The Student Room Group

Doing CIE AS Psychology in November, help!

I've decided to pickup Psychology as a 4th AS subject (alongside Chem, Phys, Maths) that I will give privately in November. I've never done any Psychology ever so I'd really appreciate some advice and tips!

Also, do you think I'm being an idiot by picking in up now and giving it in November or is that plenty of time for a good grade?

should I just stick with 3 AS subjects and will I be fine for applying to top level universities in the US and the UK?

Should I try to give Psychology in June?

Should I give it with my A2's next year?
Original post by HuzaifaElahi
I've decided to pickup Psychology as a 4th AS subject (alongside Chem, Phys, Maths) that I will give privately in November. I've never done any Psychology ever so I'd really appreciate some advice and tips!

Also, do you think I'm being an idiot by picking in up now and giving it in November or is that plenty of time for a good grade?

should I just stick with 3 AS subjects and will I be fine for applying to top level universities in the US and the UK?

Should I try to give Psychology in June?

Should I give it with my A2's next year?

Hi!
I'm doing AS psychology (it is my fifth AS subject)... in fact my paper is in 2 days.
I think it's a great choice for a fourth subject...it allows you to apply for the AICE diploma certification.
I would not suggest giving it with A2 subjects as it will be too much to revise together.
there are 20 core studies which need a lot of attention if you want to score well. I would first suggest going through websites like www.psychtutor.weebly.com and then downloading the original case studies and reading them carefully. You could then refer to a revision guide such as the one by David Clarke to sum it all up. And then try and do as many past papers as possible.
I wish I had followed that order. :P
Message me if you need more help, I'll try and reply as soon as I can.
All the best!

P.S. psychology is very interesting if you have an inclination towards the subject and are ready to put a lot of effort. :smile:
It's possible to land a good grade for CIE AS psychology so long as you really treasure your journals. read them thoroughly because the exam likes to pick up on tiny details that the journal would have that most revision guides don't include. it's honestly up to you for when you do it, i find that if you're good at memorising theory and words, and have some sort of knack for experiments like in Biology, then give it a go :smile:

From experience, the David Clarke purple textbook is horrible for the journals - don't read that section bcos apparently some of the info is different from what journal (!!!) . but its brilliant for the psychology themes, like the 10 markers.
Original post by miyazakischihiro
It's possible to land a good grade for CIE AS psychology so long as you really treasure your journals. read them thoroughly because the exam likes to pick up on tiny details that the journal would have that most revision guides don't include. it's honestly up to you for when you do it, i find that if you're good at memorising theory and words, and have some sort of knack for experiments like in Biology, then give it a go

From experience, the David Clarke purple textbook is horrible for the journals - don't read that section bcos apparently some of the info is different from what journal (!!!) . but its brilliant for the psychology themes, like the 10 markers.

Hiya, hope you don't mind me asking but what exactly are these journals and where can I find them? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending