Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is difficult because I have made some good friends who I met on my course and I enjoy spending time when them. However most of them only stay one night a week and commute in for the days that we have to be in. I feel lonely because I stay at uni and only go home when we have holiday breaks. Therefore because they go back to their homes all the time I haven't got much of a social life in terms of doing things outside of uni. I guess you can't help making friends with people you get along with but what can you do if they are not here? It is getting me down and I don't know what to do.

If anyone has been in my position or could give me some advice it would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I haven't been in yur situation but thought I'd talk to you anyway. It kind of sucks that all your friends go home after lectures and things But don't put it down to 'not being able to help making friends you get along with' - it's awesome that at least you have some great friends at uni already, whereas most people take quite a long time to build up people which they could call good friends!

There are so many ways to get involved at uni - you could join a society or sports club? A great opportunity to meet new people. Will be scary at first, perhaps awkward at the start but I think it will be worth it. What about flat mates or house-mates that you could get to know better? You could see these as potentials to broaden your network and as an opportunity to diversify the people you talk to, and a way to make your day a bit more interesting. Don't put pressure on yourself to make new friends right away, but by doing some new stuff you enjoy hopefully it should come it time

Hope this helps!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.