The Student Room Group

Wisdom teeth discomfort & tasting blood

Hi there I was wondering if anyone had any experiences of their wisdom teeth coming through and know if this is normal?

My bottom wisdom teeth started coming through around a year ago (I'm 21 now) and they aren't yet finished breaking through the gum. My dentist took x-rays to make sure they weren't impacted and said if there were any problems he would ask me to come in to see him. This was nearly 6 months ago and he hasn't said there is anything wrong with them from the x-rays and I'm due for another routine check-up next week.

However is it normal to have a slight taste of blood in your mouth as they are coming through? I am not in pain but experiencing a bit of discomfort on the gum the tooth is trying to break through. It's not affecting my ability to eat or anything though. I have had a look and there doesn't seem to be any actual redness around the area or swelling from what I can see. When I brush my teeth no blood comes out on the brush either, it just tastes like blood every now and again. Bit strange really!

Thanks for any advice you could give, I am seeing my dentist next week so I'll ask him too but I just wondered what your experiences were and if I should be concerned.
Yes, I got a coppery/metallic taste when they were coming through. Mine also got ulcer/abscess/redness on them with pain, but they were growing straight upwards so I just took some painkillers and made sure to rinse my mouth out with salt water because food had piled up under the flap when it was partially erupted. You sound fine. Plus you're going for a check up soon so no need to worry. Good luck :P xx

Quick Reply

Latest