The Student Room Group

Was I being racist here?

Me:

I went to state school, state sixth form. In a former mining town in the north east,

Where I live it takes one hour by train to Newcastle, and 2-3 hours to get there by bus.

I drive yes, but when I was younger, it was very isolated as an existence.

We were the only mixed Chinese people in the town except one other family.

7:34pm

May: tbh...u need to drop this kind of thing now and move on...

if u have decided on a career and a route, then u make contacts and friends there... and friendships mean being mutual and keeping loyalties etc.

anyway, tbh.. i have to go. i think i have given u more than enough info now. i hope that u will be successful and come back with a good news to that thread.

and i need to also focus on myself and my own job hunting too. so...

7:35pm

Jack LauI know, I will make it down to London eventually. I am going for a temp job first to save up.

7:36pm

May: its down to u how u make it. but i hope that u can take in those comments and actualy find a way to break into the field that u want.

Jack LauI realise now that I must adapt and be better than the guys I am against, they're going to get help from other whites. I'm not, so I will have to work double as hard in my life.

My loyalties in my heart will always be to the working class home I came from.

May: sigh. i told u..drop the white thing.. this is NOT a race thing !

Jack LauBut it is just a part of the parcel that I have to win the game

7:37pm

May: tbh.. if u were my child, i will kick u up the butt... cos u are complaining an awful awful lot...

7:37pm

Jack LauI am just calling it as I see it. They have the white privilege. I have to adapt and work harder.

That's not complaining, it's just a statement of intent.

May: Look, u need to stop this kind of prejudice yourself and continue to work hard. those guys possibly work AS hard.. and that they are gaining the attention of the other person, it is that simple. u got the SAME advice from Edward Lam here.. and u did not even dignify him with a response and told him the the truth..that u are also considering to get into banking. this is not acceptable behaviour tbh.. cos u are not even building trust to those who are helping u.

7:38pm

Jack LauIn effect, I have to be exactly like they are. But, hide my true thoughts.

7:39pm

May: those are not good thoughts, those are sulky thoughts and prejudices. and u are being racist as well. do u realise this ?

people are trying very directly and bluntly in a round about way that u should not be racist yourself !

7:40pm

Jack LauI am not a racist. People look out for their own people.

They have been here for generations, of course they've built up networks already, it is a natural byproduct of being a native.

7:40pm

May: i do not thinnk that u have an issue applying for jobs.. the stumbling block in my view, from where i am sitting is your on personal struggle over your worldview.. if u want to believe that, then that is down to u.. because in reality, u have yet to know how the world is, but u already have this kind of chip on your own shoulders.

7:41pm
May: u have no clue to what those people did and why.. and why they got chosen.. and nor did that guy Joey Wong understands where i am coming from, because he is up his on proverbial tower... he is talking BS a lot.

look, i am a chinese girl. and i got into IT... how did that happen then ? i did not get help from my parents...

7:41pm

Jack LauYou did very well, I am not saying it is not possible , it is. But we have it harder.

7:42pm

May: i went through the system and thought that is the way.. so i folloed it.. i did not know that other people did not do the same thing etc... and i was never told that i was any different either..

Oh stop the BS.

7:42pm

Jack LauMy worldview is not wrong, it is just different to yours.

My cousins are very successful, with the same worldview.

It's just a different perspective.

7:43pm

May: u are being racist actually.. u just do not recognise it in your speech and in your mannerism..and u think that the other "BBC"s will also entertain u and go along wth your racist attitude too.....

7:43pm

Jack LauNatives help their own ... that is racist?

I am being racist by stating that a native group of people help their own people?

In their own networks?

7:44pm

May: TBH Jack. I do not have time to type to u all day. U can either believe what others say to u, as your elders, or that u can drop those views and advices. what u do with it, is down to u and your own life. we offered.. but u are beginning to be absolutely and extremely rude now...

if u lose out on these networks, then u know why. it was because u were rude and that u insinuated that others also should ought to have the same racist attitude as yourself... that is what u seem to want to manipulate and drag other people with u towards... but that is BS.

just because i am a bbc, i do not HAVE to help u.. and u have been extremely AS rude as well... u do not appreciate and say thank you for other people's advices. u seem to enter those threads with arrogance.. instead of being open, being humble and thank others for helping u.

7:46pm

Jack LauIt is just a different perspective. Why do organisations like SEO London exist if it was not for the fact that ethnic minorities need more support in the UK workforce?

7:46pm

May: im sorry. i do not want to argue with u. please stop. Enough.

Enough is enough. I am not going to respond any further. because i am losing your attention now and u are back to square one.

7:47pm

Jack LauI am grateful for your help, like genuinely. But it is just that my worldview differs from yours.

7:47pm

May: What you do with your own life is down to you. I am not your family, and I am not obligated to help you in any way at all...

Sorry, the conversation ends here.

i wish u all the best.

7:48pm

Jack LauFair enough, but I want to know exactly where I was being rude and offensive?

I will ask others (and show them this conversation) because I am puzzled.

2/4, 7:50pm

May: you privately messaged someone, but you do not respect their wishes to remain private and instead, you will discuss about this conversation behind their backs ?????

7:50pm

Jack LauI will anonymise your name, it is the content I care about.

2/4, 7:50pm

May: Jack, grow up. Please.

i am telling u directly what i am mad about and what i find u as offensive and where.. and u denied it.. and instead, argued against the other person instead...

i do not need to or want to talk to someone who is racist and i do not want to become close or to help someone who continues to be racist...

7:52pm

Jack LauDid I say all white people are racist though ? (as that would be racist from my part)

7:52pm
May: and no, i do not agree that u are not being racist when u clearly ARE being.. even though u keep telling me that u are not.. but with those kind of thoughts, and without a lack of action from the side of the other people, you ARE being prejudiced and racist.

7:53pm

Jack LauAll I think is that racism exists in the workplace and in recruitment.

And that one must be awake to it.

There are ethnic alliance organisations and such, are they all wrong too?

Clearly, you think such organisations must be racist too for helping their own.

7:55pm

May: ok, i am going to block u now. i do not want to be involved in this kind of BS... if u want to walk the walk and talk the talk, then SAY this in your interview. i dare u so....

sorry, but i will indeed block u. i wish u all the best. my help ends here.

7:55pm

Jack LauLol, can't even answer

Weak.

"if u want to walk the walk and talk the talk, then SAY this in your interview. i dare u so...." I do not go in there for a debate.

FYI, Jack Lau is a troll account, the picture is also troll.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Soo long cannot read

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
^ Cliffs: I am being accused of racism for suggesting that there is racism in the workplace/recruitment.
Reply 3
I'm so confused. Who's who? Are you May? Are you Jack Lau? All I can say is that Jack does indeed have a chip on his shoulder and he was being narrow minded and ignorant. I don't think SEO London exists because "whites help whites". It exists because many companies don't have enough diversity in their workforce.It's not just about ethnic diversity. There's help for those who are socially and economically deprived, and those with disabilities. Look at the Civil Service's Summer Internship Programme specifically for those people I just mentioned.

I'm a BBC, and I have never felt that I wasn't chosen because of my race. Jack walks around thinking that "whites helps whites"; if he expects it, of course that's the first reason he's going to jump to when he's not chosen. I don't know whether his thinking is racist. But if he really thinks that people of their own race helps other people from the same race more, he should go find a chinese CEO or recruiter and ask for a job there. And then he'll see that actually, if he doesn't have the right skills/personality/experience/grades for the job, he's not going to get hired - no matter what race he is.
Reply 4
Jack needs to change his thinking. With that attitude and dare I say it, undertones of resentment towards white people, it will show in interviews and have a negative impact with his relationships with potential colleagues. It is very closed-minded of him.

If you are Jack, maybe you are like this because you grew up in the countryside. I grew up in a major city with lots of different races and I don't know anyone who thinks likes that!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
^ So widespread racism does not exist? Then why are over 50% of young black males 18-24 unemployed? Are they all lazy and feckless?
Reply 6
Of course it does exist. Who knows why? Maybe because of gang culture, they don't do well in schools, live in poor areas, etc. etc. Lots of reasons. Young black men with top degrees will get jobs. It's not unusual. What world are you living in? And is that even a real statistic?
Reply 7
I know so many Asians/Black/Chinese graduates who work in banking and finance!! Just look at LSE and Imperial. They're notorious for being full of Chinese/Malaysians/Indians etc. See?? You have such a negative view of the world.
Your post is set out appallingly.
I think he's Jack Lau.

Lau is a Chinese name :colone:
Reply 10
Original post by gcyko
Of course it does exist. Who knows why? Maybe because of gang culture, they don't do well in schools, live in poor areas, etc. etc. Lots of reasons. Young black men with top degrees will get jobs. It's not unusual. What world are you living in? And is that even a real statistic?

I can empathise with these lads, a lot. You guys live in your sheltered lives and pretend this type of **** does not exist.
Reply 11
Original post by pocahontas lol
I think he's Jack Lau.

Lau is a Chinese name :colone:

Yes, I am Jack Lau. Do you think I look hot?
Reply 12
Wtf is a BBC?
Original post by Texx
Wtf is a BBC?

Big black COC...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Tom_Ford

I can empathise with these lads, a lot. You guys live in your sheltered lives and pretend this type of **** does not exist.

I said young black men WITH DEGREES. This 50% statistic includes all those who did not complete A-levels and GCSEs, and so, is therefore skewed. If they decide to get a degree, then it's not going to be as hard.

You are so stubborn you won't even see it from my point of view. You originally said, white people only help white people. I countered that and gave you an example where it's not true. I already told you that Imperial, LSE and other top universities are full of ethnic minorities AND my friends are working in Deloitte, PwC, Barclays and UBS.

Then you brushed that aside and focused on black people. I thought we were talking you?? You know, being Chinese, and forced to work harder than white people?? NOT TRUE, as shown by the number of ethnic minorities in TOP UNIVERSITIES.

Jeez. I cba with this. Have that chip on shoulder, but it will do you no good. Peace Out.
Reply 15
Original post by gcyko
I said young black men WITH DEGREES. This 50% statistic includes all those who did not complete A-levels and GCSEs, and so, is therefore skewed. If they decide to get a degree, then it's not going to be as hard.

You are so stubborn you won't even see it from my point of view. You originally said, white people only help white people. I countered that and gave you an example where it's not true. I already told you that Imperial, LSE and other top universities are full of ethnic minorities AND my friends are working in Deloitte, PwC, Barclays and UBS.

Then you brushed that aside and focused on black people. I thought we were talking you?? You know, being Chinese, and forced to work harder than white people?? NOT TRUE, as shown by the number of ethnic minorities in TOP UNIVERSITIES.

Jeez. I cba with this. Have that chip on shoulder, but it will do you no good. Peace Out.

Watch the programme.

And you think with your examples... widespread racism does not exist ?
(edited 9 years ago)
How is speaking against white privilege racist?
Reply 17
Original post by jedanselemyia
How is speaking against white privilege racist?

I don't know, apparently I am a Nazi, KKK, Stormfront.
Original post by Tom_Ford
I don't know, apparently I am a Nazi, KKK, Stormfront.

Lol
Your friend (or whoever that is) is just delusional. Not willing to face the facts...
Reply 19
Original post by jedanselemyia
Lol
Your friend (or whoever that is) is just delusional. Not willing to face the facts...

Thanks sister.

I am not Jack Lau, I had to just use that fake profile to get a sense of what other ethnic minorities who work in corporations think. There is a wide spread, those who think the same as I do and those who are opposed to what I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending