The Student Room Group

Had a rough childhood, pressured to get involved in islam to rebut image

Cut a long story short I had a rough childhood, the image of the family is considered poor compared to the standards of practising Muslims in our community.

I was told to get involved with Islam and the Mosque so we can become the "good family" where I am considered a "good boy" and observant of islam to have a good reputation amongst those in our community.

Looking at this from a balanced approach it sounds reasonable and am having difficulty finding contradictory arguments for going against this?

What would you do if you were in my torn shoes?
Why does having an imaginary friend improve your image?
Reply 2
Original post by Skip_Snip
Why does having an imaginary friend improve your image?

I'm not sure what you mean sorry, I was told to do this by a close relative.
Are your parents/familiy/relatives mostly Muslim?

If yes, then such a suggestion would be understandable.
However, you have to answer yourself one simple question - do you believe in God? (in that case, Allah, but if there is a God, it is only one God, living under different names in different religions)
If yes, then sure, go for it.
If no, then just don't. Don't.
Reply 4
Thank you for you're response

I do not believe in god as my belief system is different from the majority of societies.

However I do believe in rebutting the family image due to the poor perception by the community in general.
I certainly cannot put myself in your shoes completely. Regardless, I would not put myself through something that is contradictory to my beliefs in order to increase my image in the community. I would call that "peer pressure" and it may often be bad. This is the United Kingdom, and that does bring some freedoms in these terms.
Original post by HawkEyeArcher
I certainly cannot put myself in your shoes completely. Regardless, I would not put myself through something that is contradictory to my beliefs in order to increase my image in the community. I would call that "peer pressure" and it may often be bad. This is the United Kingdom, and that does bring some freedoms in these terms.

You wouldn't but it's very different for OP where the community culture depends on things like that.

Original post by Anonymous
Cut a long story short I had a rough childhood, the image of the family is considered poor compared to the standards of practising Muslims in our community.

I was told to get involved with Islam and the Mosque so we can become the "good family" where I am considered a "good boy" and observant of islam to have a good reputation amongst those in our community.

Looking at this from a balanced approach it sounds reasonable and am having difficulty finding contradictory arguments for going against this?

What would you do if you were in my torn shoes?

I would go for it but obviously in a sense that will make you happy. You could be conservative with your community or family but at the same time, be free personally and do whatever you want.
Just go with what you think is right.
Research a bit about Islam and then it's up to you to decide.
:smile:
Original post by littlewurmple
You wouldn't but it's very different for OP where the community culture depends on things like that.

Like I said in another thread, people often move to new cities and start entirely new lives. Why should a "community" with backward views hold back anyone from living the life they want?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending