The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Economics Disadvantages and Workload?

Hello. For all those studying an undergraduate degree in economics at UCL, what are all the bad things about it and about the university in general? Any problems? And how great is the workload? Do you have looots of essays to write a week, is it manageble?
Thanks.
Original post by BrownieLover
Hello. For all those studying an undergraduate degree in economics at UCL, what are all the bad things about it and about the university in general? Any problems? And how great is the workload? Do you have looots of essays to write a week, is it manageble?
Thanks.

I'm in my first year so I can only give you an idea of what first year is like.

In general, university life here is great! Amazing location, job opportunities, social life etc.

So far, the workload has been higher than I expected but still pretty manageable. Compared to my friends studying economics at other universities, the workload and difficulty of the work is far harder. There are no compulsory essays in the entire course (you can choose modules which require essays if you wish), but we have around 3-4 problem sets to complete per week.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Bloxorus
I'm in my first year so I can only give you an idea of what first year is like.

In general, university life here is great! Amazing location, job opportunities, social life etc.

So far, the workload has been higher than I expected but still pretty manageable. Compared to my friends studying economics at other universities, the workload and difficulty of the work is far harder. There are no compulsory essays in the entire course (you can choose modules which require essays if you wish), but we have around 3-4 problem sets to complete per week.

Thank you for the reply. But what do you mean there are no compulsory essays? Don't you have any homework/assignments/coursework for modules like microeconomics and macroeconomics? And by problem sets you mean maths questions? It's nothing like A level maths, is it? Well, even if it is completely new, do you still understand it clearly with help from your professor? Thank you.
Original post by BrownieLover
Thank you for the reply. But what do you mean there are no compulsory essays? Don't you have any homework/assignments/coursework for modules like microeconomics and macroeconomics? And by problem sets you mean maths questions? It's nothing like A level maths, is it? Well, even if it is completely new, do you still understand it clearly with help from your professor? Thank you.

We do have homework/assignments but they are in the form of either maths/stats questions or short written answers (such as explaining a concept or a graph). There are no parts of the course which require long written answers, unless you choose a module which is essay based.

The course at UCL is particularly maths based, so the majority of everything we do explained using maths rather than words. A lot of it is basically an extension from maths and further maths A levels except a lot harder. Its easy to see why UCL require an A* in maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending