The Student Room Group

This Romanian Girl at University -- my year

There is this romanian girl in my year that I kind of like (not sure which words to describe this so lets go with 'kind of like' instead of 'like').

I haven't really spoken to her more than once/twice within these 1.5 years but I bet we see each other several times every week in lectures, laboratories etc.

In one case, I noticed that she was staring/looking back at me from a front seat in a tutorial class and 'caught/noticed' her (by looking at her) and she looked away immediately -- maybe she was day dreaming or something, who knows.

She usually hangs out with her Romanian friends in school which are mostly guys and we have many guys and few girls in the course anyways.
Also, I don't see her interacting with other non-romanians much but I might be wrong, I am not with her everywhere after all.

I've also noticed that whenever I talk to these guy friends of her, she listens to our conversation (if she's nearby) and observes and from time to time I see her looking at me while talking to these boys afterwards. Perhaps my imagination but whenever I look back she looks away etc.

However, there are also cases/days where she ignores me completely without even looking for example.

I know several friends of her and have them on facebook already and also know her facebook account but of course I wouldn't add her just like that -- I usually add people on facebook after meeting someone properly face to face.

I could ask one of the romain guys that she hangs out with during school etc. whether she has a boyfriend or not, but I am a bit shy to ask such a random question out of nowhere suddenly.
But knowing that I am an idiot, I could bring myself to ask this question eventually :tongue:

Also, I am sort of well known in the school/department because of the things I have done (my actions) and so I know that many including her know me at least by name/face. -- Well she knows me definitely, we've just never officially met or spoken more than a few times.

Additional note: I know she is 20 years old (maybe plus minus 1) and I am 24.

Ok that's all for now.
Advice and comments are welcome.
Am I going crazy or what?
Reply 1
Hi, I'm romanian so I might be able to help - though she's a girl, just like the brits so it doesn't make a big difference. All girls I know(including me) are very social and friendly, so don't be scared to go to talk to her yourself. Just try to make some conversation first. Putting it out like that: hey, you have a bf? is a bit desperate.
Anyway, don't be scared of the fact that she hangs out with other romanians. Personally, I would love to meet people from other countries.
Reply 2
Original post by SiminaM
Hi, I'm romanian so I might be able to help - though she's a girl, just like the brits so it doesn't make a big difference. All girls I know(including me) are very social and friendly, so don't be scared to go to talk to her yourself. Just try to make some conversation first. Putting it out like that: hey, you have a bf? is a bit desperate.
Anyway, don't be scared of the fact that she hangs out with other romanians. Personally, I would love to meet people from other countries.

Thanks for your response, that's encouraging and I think you are right about that question being desperate.

This is probably due to my inexperience, how should i explain this;
The fact I never 'chase after girls' (if you know what I mean) and the fact I never had a girlfriend until this age and also the fact that I am too blunt, straightforward and honest with my words and actions -- i.e principles.

However, my basic thinking about planning to ask that question is to keep my distance, IF she already has a boyfriend.
Other people may act differently but I would definitely keep my distance from a girl I like, if I know she has a boyfriend. I hope this makes sense.

She is hanging out with her romanian friends all the time and talking in romanian language (and barely english -- english only when needed) is a bit discouraging and feels awkward for me to initialize a conversation.
I usually call them 'the gang', not meant in a bad way but to describe the situation, and many of her friends do agree and don't even deny :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your response, that's encouraging and I think you are right about that question being desperate.

This is probably due to my inexperience, how should i explain this;
The fact I never 'chase after girls' (if you know what I mean) and the fact I never had a girlfriend until this age and also the fact that I am too blunt, straightforward and honest with my words and actions -- i.e principles.

However, my basic thinking about planning to ask that question is to keep my distance, IF she already has a boyfriend.
Other people may act differently but I would definitely keep my distance from a girl I like, if I know she has a boyfriend. I hope this makes sense.

She is hanging out with her romanian friends all the time and talking in romanian language (and barely english -- english only when needed) is a bit discouraging and feels awkward for me to initialize a conversation.
I usually call them 'the gang', not meant in a bad way but to describe the situation, and many of her friends do agree and don't even deny :tongue:

I honestly can't help you with her staying in that circle all the time. When I was abroad for summer, I spent time with people from other countries despite there being others from mine too so I don't really understand where she stands in this situation.
Be friendly at first - chances are, if she ain't a bitch, you'll get the chance to ask her if she's single.
You have classes together so there are topics you can talk to her about. Ask her about different social events at uni - I usually like being part of them. Maybe try asking her about her culture and stuff or if she misses home I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending