The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haseeb798
How do you make revision notes?

For my science subjects I usually type up my notes from my class notes and textbook so that I can get a lot of info. For my other subjects I usually use class notes to revise and textbooks. Subjects like Maths I read notes and just practice constantly until I get every topic perfect.

What do you actually do?

Depends on what you're asking me about, assuming it's about the notes... I just focus and limit distractions. I have learnt over the years to ignore distractions and it has been useful in and out of school. I also make a timetable or if I don't have a lot to revise for, a to-do list. I do this so I can plan the day(s) ahead. When you revise you should listen to some focus music, I find playlists on Spotify to play. You can also break your work up into sessions (50 mins = one session). I then split it in half and do the pomodoro technique:

25mins work
5mins break
25mins work {session 1 done}
5mins break
25mins work
5mins break
25mins work {session 2 done etc...}
15mins long break

And repeat if you have more work to do still. You're brain works effectively in a short amount of time, it will normally take 30 mins when until you start to get bored and put less effort in. If you split it up and have a little breatha every half session - you get more work done :smile: Also in the breaks you could read, check social media, TSR etc but not anything that will make you hooked like CoD or League or something... talking from personal experience here.

Do you make them on laptop?

Either on my laptop or computer. I usually use my laptop because I can go anywhere in the house with it. Try not to go on games too! Only until you finished all sessions or if you have time between the sessions (like an hour or longer) to play.
Thanks
I am going to start making a timetable and use the pomodoro technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update 15/01/16

Quite a lot has happened this week:

For Biology I got an A* in my exam. I got 27/30 which is just an A* which I'm very pleased with.

For History I got a C in my exam, unfortunately I didn't do as good as I expected because I "waffled" too much and I mostly did a description of events instead of explaining them, but the whole point of doing that was to explain them but I didn't have time...again so I am going to be working on my time management.

Like I said, I have a Physics test on CH 4 + 5 Unit 2 and Chemistry test on CH 3 Unit 2, both which are occurring next week, I haven't finished either notes so that is my job, which is to finish the notes. I need to do some exam practice questions too for both tests.

Unfortunately I nearly got in a lot of trouble when in Geography I was messing around on my school email, I showed my friend it would be funny if I sent "favwate fwench teacha" and when he saw it on the screen he stupidly pressed send... unfortunately unlike SMS you cannot stop the message from sending. I must admit, I should never have been messing around on the school email in a Geography lesson but if he didn't press send we wouldn't have got into trouble.

Anyways later that day Miss sent me out as soon as I walked in, she seemed pretty pissed off and asked me if I sent it, which I replied saying no, which is half true because I didn't send it but I did type it, which is just as bad. I lied to her thinking she won't find out (stupidly) saying that someone hacked my account, I though I would save myself some trouble. But the next day (today) the head of year came at the end of form time to speak to me and my friend, he kinda sussed it out that it was us who was involved. He found out I was lying (telling half-truth actually) and he found out that my friend sent it. He said that he can't punish us harshly for something silly but if it was something more rude and disrespectful to Miss I would be looking at getting a days suspension.... scary :frown: I really do regret not focusing in Geography.... Miss found out I lied and she had a good shout at me outside which wasn't pleasant, but the rest of the lesson was chilled and she helped me out a bit because I'm managing distractions in French lessons well (everyone messes around a bit, I just ignore it and try to concentrate).

Crazy week. Thank god I wasn't even more stupid and typed something rude and disrespectful, I am assuming we are also going to get shouted at by the Geography teacher too and never be trusted to do computer work again :frown: sad but that's the consequence for being silly. You live and learn guys! :biggrin: Don't mess around on your school email! :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Update 18/01/16

Today was a very eventful day, some good things some bad things:

In Geography, the school HR came up to our lesson, who is Polish herself and came to us to tell us her migration experience. Well... the class was quite rude, they asked some stereotypical migrant-like questions such as "did you come in the back of a lorry?" etc... However the information she gave us was quite useful.

In Biology I could have got a higher mark, but it wouldn't have changed my grade so I'm happy anyways, A* is good enough for me! :tongue:

Then English... Miss wasn't there so we had a teacher cover our lesson and it was horrid. He was shouting the whole lesson because everyone was chatty, students were being a bit rude to the teacher, people were calling out making jokes etc to piss off the teacher as usual... I didn't manage to get any work done, I haven't finished the essay Miss told us to complete in that lesson, which most people haven't so she is going to be fuming tomorrow morning.

Otherwise today wasn't to bad, it was just a bit boring and I haven't got much stuff done yet today. I have tonight and tomorrow to finish the Physics notes, if I focus on it now I will get it finished tonight. I also got Chemistry to worry about at the end of the week but right now my priority is Physics.
Update 22/01/16

This week hasn't been that great. I had two tests this week and just to tell you now, I know I didn't do well in either of them:

I messed up in a few questions in Physics, I wasted quite a lot of time and didn't skip hard questions immediately.

I also messed up in Chemistry but I managed my time a lot better than Physics. It involved a lot of calculations just like Physics but it was harder even though we didn't have like 6 equations to remember in Physics.

For French I didn't have a lot of time to do it because I have just been procrastinating and I had to use Google Translate... :frown: I feel really bad now because Miss is an Anti-Google Translate detector so she sussed it out quick. So the work is piling up... I don't want to go back to how it was in Year 9 so I need to stop procrastinating, do homework and revision first and then play games and relax.

I'm probably going to have a Maths test in about 3 weeks. So far we have done Trig, Vectors and Sequences, so far so good, nothing complicated has popped up yet so I'm happy.

So what's the plan? There are no tests but I still have a lot of things to do, which I hope I can get done before half-term (3 weeks away):

I need to finish Chapter 3 Chemistry notes and print them off.

I also need to re-do French and if I need any help use anything but Google Translate :tongue: I also need to get started with the French homework too which is another question "How have you changed over 5 years".

So it's quite clear the focus is going to be my French Control Assessment, hopefully it shouldn't take too long but if it does I will do it to get a good grade :smile:
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW THREAD FOR 2016!

Latest

Trending

Trending