The Student Room Group

Changing Degree

I'm currently a first year chem student at Uni of Leeds. Unfortunately I had a load of crap going on in my first semester which meant I only attended 4 out of 10 weeks of lectures and only got 5/9 labs done. Despite this I still managed to get a 2i in my chem + maths module and a pass in my Russian elective (though it would have been a 1st/ 2i if they hadn't ignored my mit circs, not that I'm bitter).

Basically I cram learnt everything without understanding it so this semester has been a ball ache to say the least and I've since completely stopped going to lectures. TBH I don't even particularly want to do chemistry and so I've decided to switch to do medical biochem.

Obviously in order to do biochem next year, my school has to release me (which will also mean I don't have to waste time in doing exams in May which I would fail anyway). The only thing is, is that I will also lose my finance from SFE and subsequently will be forced back home. I honestly can't bear the idea of going home - for one I've built a life here with friends and society stuff still going on. But also because I have bipolar which has been rather calm for the past few months except the couple of times I've gone home - when it flares up horrifically. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way that I could change degrees without having to be forced back home? Or if anyone had any experience of changing degrees?

Tar-har!
I'm in the process of changing degrees and I think it varies a lot between universities but I am planning on completing my first year and sitting the exams and then transferring so I still get the full year of student finance.
If you are prepared to finish the year, you won't have to go home. You can apply through UCAS whilst you are doing your current degree. I suggest you talk to your course tutor, explain that you don't enjoy chemistry and you want to do another degree. If you want to stay at your current university then it may even be possible to transfer internally. Also ask if you will be awarded a CertHE if you leave after the first year.

You should be aware however that this is your last chance. If you drop out again, you won't get another full student loan, so you must be sure that medical biochem is the right degree for you.
Reply 3
Hey everyone

I was wondering if someone could give me some help on transferring.
The Uni im at at the moment is awful, theres no support and im really unhappy. I have looked at transferring in to another uni for my final year for uni.
Does any have any advise?
Original post by Mzee
Hey everyone

I was wondering if someone could give me some help on transferring.
The Uni im at at the moment is awful, theres no support and im really unhappy. I have looked at transferring in to another uni for my final year for uni.
Does any have any advise?

I suggest you start by reading the FAQs in this thread. It is very difficult to transfer into the final year at most universities. I know you can transfer into the final year of an Open University degree, would you consider doing that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending