The Student Room Group

Is this wrong?

Okay, yesterday my maths teacher wasn't in school so he left us some work to do, I didn't understand it and was nervous about my music exam. Today, we were continuing from where we left off yesterday and I'd figured out what I was doing wrong so I'd gotten most of the exercise done. He asked to see me and my friends jotters, after the rest of my friends had gone back to their seats he looks at me. "Did you not finish this yesterday? "
"No, I didn't understand but I get it now."
He hands me back my jotter. As I'm walking back to my seat he asks the clasd who finished the excersice yesterday. And about half the classes hands go up.
"I think that speaks for itself." He says, staring right at me.
I don't even know what I'd done wrong! I genuinely could have punched him right in the face. Is him saying that wrong? Am I right to think it's almost like bullying (because he is a bully, he tries to make out everything is our fault when most of the class is failing. Thats not our fault)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Grow up, that's what teachers do.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
You weren't wrong for not understanding something the first time and unfortunately some teachers seem to get a kick out of making students uncomfortable.

It's not even that it's made me uncomfortable, I just hate him more now (and it takes a lot to make me hate someone). I'm kne of those people that goes over and over something that's happened constantly, especially if someone has hurt me. But I'm genuinely dreading going to his class tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you don't understand something, you should make the effort to learn, not just get the hump when you are called out. Learning should not stop when you leave the school premises.
Original post by soanonymous
Grow up, that's what teachers do.

Sorry for wanting to get some advice on something. I'll keep my worries to myself next time and be completely unable to sleep. Thanks for your advice. Your so helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't get too worked up about it, some teachers just aren't that nice lol next time you have maths just ask him if he can go through it with you after lesson or something? no big deal, he's a teacher, he gets paid to teach remember? Don't take what he said to heart :smile: I go over things all the time but all you do is move on from it
Teachers use the same cheap statements over and over again, it means they don't have to think too much and are always quick to place the blame on pupils/students rather than risk the blame falling on themselves, its a cheap trick. In reality some teachers are dimmer than the kids they teach often with over inflated ego's and feelings of superiority in all circumstances. Most teaching revolves around churning out the same material to kids year after year so anyone could be a teacher really as it soon becomes memorised by the shear repetition of the material. Many teachers end up on a power trip (usually the poor performing ones) and get off on feeling big by making cheap shots such as this.
Don't know why some teachers think that being a teacher should give them an excuse for being a bell end? Thing is their power is actually very limited. Call him out on it if he does it again. When I was at school I felt ill one time and my teacher wouldn't let me go to the nurse so I just told 'I am going to the nurse' and I left. At that point they can't do anything because they know that, actually, they're not supported by senior management if they try to punish your formally. If he tries to humiliate you again just ask 'why do you feel the need to humiliate me when all I've done wrong is not understand something?' keeping a very calm tone of voice. Just use questions, they're great at disarming people. If he tries to punish you for that he won't have a leg to stand on when you complain to the head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending