The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I don't know how else to put it but I'm feeling a bit **** atm and I just want to vent. I have meaningless sex with men. In my teens I suffered with depression and low-self esteem. I had a somewhat bad relationship (which my parents never really knew about) and I had to deal with the aftermath of it more or less alone. I still suffer from low moods and I'll have sex with people as a way of temporarily lifting my mood. Sometimes I'll feel guilty afterwards, other times I just won't give a ****.

I'm really into the whole 'rape fantasy' thing and, at uni, I'd go on nights-out and get ****ed by total strangers who I never saw or spoke to again. I had quite a conservative upbringing and my close friends don't even know about the stuff I get up to. They'd be disgusted with me if they did. For that reason, I'd also say that I'm not a slut in an obvious or conventional sense i.e. I don't dress revealingly or go about flirting outrageously with men and I'm generally discreet about the things I do but when I see a guy I find attractive I'll think about having sex with him. I've slept with two guys that I work with. We all sort of get along as friends and have a good laugh with each other. I like the fact that I get along well with both but I'm not tied down to either. I don't even feel emotionally attached to the people I sleep with, I just like the way they make me feel when we're together.

I find it relatively easy to build relationships with both men and women. I've had relationships with decent men but I lie about the way I am. I pretend that I'm a good, well brought-up girl when I've been acting like a slut. I could never bring myself to tell the truth because they'd most-likely dump me on the spot.

I only ever really discussed things with one or two people I knew at uni. Right now I'm feeling a little bit lost. I realize that anyone reading this will have nil respect for me but if you have any constructive advice on how to get my **** together I'd appreciate it.

I do not appreciate you calling yourself an insult!....
I'm sure you can change yourself if you really wanted to.
I hope everything works out and that I was helpful
I've done things I'm not proud but I chose not to include them in the OP, which I wrote out rather quickly anyway. For instance, I had sex with a male friend, who I had a long-standing crush on, even though he had a girlfriend. It was after he confessed that he liked me. I'm driven by sexual lust more than I am restrained by morality which is never good.
I haven't cheated on any of my partners but I've definitely been tempted. As much as I'd like to be in a relationship right now, I think it's best that I don't enter one. I honestly question whether or not I'd be able to stay faithful. It sounds like a terrible thing to say but it's the truth.

I still don't see a problem with this, personally. If this guy's going to cheat on his girlfriend, that's on him, not you.

I agree with Knugs about seeing your GP though. Some of what you've written corresponds to symptoms of borderline personality disorder (there are all sorts of issues here - for instance, many psychiatrists believe that it's not a real disorder at all, more of an amalgamation of symptoms that commonly occur together). I wouldn't take this possibility too seriously, but if you really feel as though something's wrong with you, this could potentially be the answer.

Probably the most sensible thing to do is talk to a qualified therapist openly. Even if you don't have any such issues, it'll still almost certainly be a very helpful step to take.
Reply 22
I think you are a Gemini. They tend to sleep around and find it difficult to maintain a steady relationship
Why would you have sex with strangers that you wont see again?
You could atleast charge them.
Then you'll feel doubly happy
Original post by Raymat
Don't know whether your being serious or not.

Why wouldn't i be serious?
Ain't noting wrong wit dat.
I don't know how else to put it but I'm feeling a bit **** atm and I just want to vent. I have meaningless sex with men. In my teens I suffered with depression and low-self esteem. I had a somewhat bad relationship (which my parents never really knew about) and I had to deal with the aftermath of it more or less alone. I still suffer from low moods and I'll have sex with people as a way of temporarily lifting my mood. Sometimes I'll feel guilty afterwards, other times I just won't give a ****.

I'm really into the whole 'rape fantasy' thing and, at uni, I'd go on nights-out and get ****ed by total strangers who I never saw or spoke to again. I had quite a conservative upbringing and my close friends don't even know about the stuff I get up to. They'd be disgusted with me if they did. For that reason, I'd also say that I'm not a slut in an obvious or conventional sense i.e. I don't dress revealingly or go about flirting outrageously with men and I'm generally discreet about the things I do but when I see a guy I find attractive I'll think about having sex with him. I've slept with two guys that I work with. We all sort of get along as friends and have a good laugh with each other. I like the fact that I get along well with both but I'm not tied down to either. I don't even feel emotionally attached to the people I sleep with, I just like the way they make me feel when we're together.

I find it relatively easy to build relationships with both men and women. I've had relationships with decent men but I lie about the way I am. I pretend that I'm a good, well brought-up girl when I've been acting like a slut. I could never bring myself to tell the truth because they'd most-likely dump me on the spot.

I only ever really discussed things with one or two people I knew at uni. Right now I'm feeling a little bit lost. I realize that anyone reading this will have nil respect for me but if you have any constructive advice on how to get my **** together I'd appreciate it.

You should look into Themlema, an ideology that is based on one law "Does as thou wilt."
Sounds good to me, as does to you, doesn't it?
Original post by Birkenhead
Most people on here will tell you that there's nothing wrong with what you're doing and that as long as it's safe and consensual you should just let your hair down.

But if you're using sex as a way of coping with mental health problems then that is not healthy. Casual sex has been demonstrated to actively cause mental health problems like depression, low self esteem and even increased suicidal ideation - as opposed to just being linked to them - and I can't see any good coming from abusing sex like a drug in this way when you're already suffering emotionally. It also sounds as if you get a high from putting yourself in vulnerable situations where you could be taken advantage of and come to harm.

I would suggest you try to exert some control over your impulses, deal with your problems, and then try to maintain a healthier attitude towards sex. I'm sure you would be much happier in the long run.

This made sense, thanks.
Original post by Knugs
My opinion is based on my experience of doing psychiatry as a medical student and learning to understand mental health.

I don't even know the slightest about you, only if you were to let me take an hour long history of you I would get an idea of what the underlying problem is. And then I'm not a psychiatrist. I'm just someone who has studied the theory, learned some skills and seen 2 months of consultant practice. Maybe you don't even have a problem at all? So my opinion is already biased and inaccurate, to some degree false. What you have had said however, a lot of the phrases and words are red flags. This is only correct if you truly feel that way too. Without anyone seeing you how you respond to certain questions, how you are as a person, not even professionals will be able to form a conclusive opinion. Hence I try to tell you that the GP will give you access to some people that really can help you. Everyone will take you seriously.
If you wonder what these red flags are, I have had underlined them previously. I know you will want to know anyway what I think. It can really be a wide spectrum of mental health issues or again NOTHING being wrong. Clinical depression, generalized anxiety disorders, bereavement, self harm. There might have been something in your childhood or at birth, something going down the family that made you cope with your feelings in that specific way. CBT or psychotherapy can explore these issues.

I know you dont want to but you can talk to me anonymously too.

Original post by Killer Bean
I still don't see a problem with this, personally. If this guy's going to cheat on his girlfriend, that's on him, not you.

I agree with Knugs about seeing your GP though. Some of what you've written corresponds to symptoms of borderline personality disorder (there are all sorts of issues here - for instance, many psychiatrists believe that it's not a real disorder at all, more of an amalgamation of symptoms that commonly occur together). I wouldn't take this possibility too seriously, but if you really feel as though something's wrong with you, this could potentially be the answer.

Probably the most sensible thing to do is talk to a qualified therapist openly. Even if you don't have any such issues, it'll still almost certainly be a very helpful step to take.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure whether I could speak to a GP about it. It'd be extremely difficult. I'll take it into consideration though.

Original post by Richsam
I think you are a Gemini. They tend to sleep around and find it difficult to maintain a steady relationship

This made me laugh. Oddly enough, I am a Gemini.
Reply 29
Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure whether I could speak to a GP about it. It'd be extremely difficult. I'll take it into consideration though.

am a Gemini.

A lot of oldschool GPs still don't understand mental health and how to approach it so I can understand that you feel uncomfortable of speaking to one.

A step to step guide:
Book an appointment with your GP that you have the best relationship with.
When asked about the reason for your appointment you tell the receptionists that you are having issues with your mood. At this point you could ask who the best person for you is to see. (some are specialized in mental health)

When he asks you "what can I do for you" just tell him that you have suffered from depression in the past. You don't have to tell him the details (be honest and say you feel very uncomfortable speaking about it) but you have to tell him some important things
-You have been feeling persistently "low" for a long time.
-you do "inappropriate" things because they relieve you
-but they make you feel guilty
-he will ask you about self harm; be honest

You need to ask for a referral to mental health services. (GPs are gatekeepers and will prefer to not refer, so dont make it seem like nothing is wrong)
He might give you an
-SSRI (they are very good for a broad spectrum of things and will benefit you probably too)
-referral to CBT/psychotherapy or assessment for mental health.

Other than that, if you are willing to spend a few hundred pounds, you can book an appointment with a private psychiatrist straight away.

im sorry to be so pushy but thats because I'm convinced that its going to help you a lot
Reply 30

interesting.....
How many guys have you actually slept with? Also have you ever thought about going to a counselor about it
Reply 32
If your body count is over 10... then thats a problem
There's nothing wrong with sleeping around. You are entitled to sleep with whom you want, how many people you want, whenever you want.

The problem is you are using it to cope with your mental health. It might be worth getting some help from a GP/counsellor, OP :-)

I honestly don't see what the problem is! As long as you're not hurting anyone in the process i.e sleeping with someone who has a partner etc. Don't go round calling yourself a slut though, just because you're promiscuous doesn't mean you can't be respected as a human being.

Just make sure your safe with it, you don't know what you might catch these days :mmm:

The bold bit is totally normal, otherwise you do sound olike you are, rather than having a healthy amount with the right guys, just using to fill an emptiness, and no not literally.

What would you rate yourself honestly out of 10 in terms of looks?

Are you pakistani by any chance?
Are you referring to the fact that she's calling herself a slut as a coping mechanism, or the fact that I said her coping mechanism of behaving this way isn't the ideal one?

Neither of those were intended as passing judgment.

She seems to be using the word 'slut' to insult herself, not as a coping mechanism? She doesn't need to insult herself - there are too many people in this world willing to call us sluts, she deserves better than to believe she is one.

She also seems to be aware that she's not dealing with her situation in the optimal way - there are better ways of dealing with it, but it doesn't make her a bad person at all for doing it, is what I was saying.

No idea what you found unacceptable about my post :lolwut:

I was saying 'Even though you accept it's less than ideal, doesn't mean you deserve the names you're calling yourself'.

Not sure how that can be seen as judgy :confused: maybe you're just oversensitive?

Latest

Trending

Trending