The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well it sounds like they are copying the IB. I think that the IB is a fantastic system in concept, and most of it is planned quite well.

It was obvious that a new system would be created to replace A-levels as they are quite sad now. I get the feeling the Cambridge Pre-U system will be similar to the IB. Perhaps less challenging?

I think the IB will become more and more popular, regardless of the new Pre-U.
Reply 2
Btw for anyone that says "It's an old article", there was a very recent one in the Times talking about the new system and about the syllabi.. it's just google found me the guardian's old article :p:

If anyone can be bothered to dig out new material, please feel free to do so :wink:

EDIT: here's the syllabi link
Reply 3
ooooh eeerrrrrr! Lol, I'm not an IB-er but ummm Cambridge Pre U? Its going to need a catchier name if its only to be the new A Level!!! Why can't they just replace the A Level syllabus' with the new ones and keep the same name? Or are Cambridge looking for fame? :wink: :p:

Also.....

CIE describes the qualification as "a post-16 development which aims to prepare students to make a success of their subsequent studies at university".

ummm, but employers already complain that universities don't produce the sort of graduates that can adapt to the workplace i.e. they can write essays but can't transfer their skills to their work so won't changing the syllabus to be more like university style work just make things worse?

Also, doesn't it just make you think about how GCSEs are now planning to go back to O Levels? So in 20 years time Cambridge Pre U will probably go back to A Levels.
Reply 4
If Cambridge University are behind it, I don't think they'll let the standards slip :p:
a load of unis will get annoyed with it i expect adn it will be one of those elitest things for posh arses, 2bh the way education is going in the UK with money being offered not on reserach but on abilty to provide for working class students i can't believe something that is bound to only be available to those elitest studying in private institutions would catch on. its a beacon to the world that says 'look at me i'm rich i went to private school' not a good sell at the moment IMO.
Reply 6
Well as stated in the Guardian article back in June, LSE are backing it.

I'm pretty much betting that most universities will back the course - Cambridge have been pioneering assessment tests for years and have always been able to pick the best-of-the-best from it. Doesn't matter how much money you have, those skills assessment tests are down to your intelligence.

I think this Cambridge test will be a success if it can get a foothold on the education circuit (and by the looks of things it will do). And in my opinion, it will be a major threat to those doing the IB in the future as anything with the Cambridge stamp on it is bound to be held in higher regard.
i don't agree i think anything that shows you to have gone anywhere near private school education will severely disadvantage you. no ordinary school, unless they put the system together very carefullly will be able to afford the new qualifications, it costs an amazing amount just to offer the IB. it will therefore become a qualification of the uber richer, and they aren't the ones getting the uni places at the moment.
Reply 8
andy_cole2
i don't agree i think anything that shows you to have gone anywhere near private school education will severely disadvantage you. no ordinary school, unless they put the system together very carefullly will be able to afford the new qualifications, it costs an amazing amount just to offer the IB. it will therefore become a qualification of the uber richer, and they aren't the ones getting the uni places at the moment.

Picture this:

Independent schools draft in the Cambridge thing - its successful. You should know better than anyone that if that happens, the government will then impose it on state schools.

The fact you went to private school does not severely disadvantage you - you are talking about the whole "if they have less money, unis get more funding" but its not always true that people at private school have more money, they just choose to spend it on education.

In my opinion ordinary schools will not run the two alongside one another - it will be IB or this Pre-U thing. IB is not fully established in the English education system so there is still a chance that Pre-U will take presidence in state schools once A levels are dropped.

EDIT: Do you actually have evidence of private school applicants not getting places at their desired unis? If anything they are more inclined to get their place as they are better prepared for the assessments, interviews and general application procedure.
Reply 9
i hate ppl copyin.. just coz A- Levels is not that popular that doesn't mean that they will make themselves similar to IB.

I love the IB system. it will turn it out 2 be the best n the most popular. i think it already is..
Reply 10
rockin the universe
i hate ppl copyin.. just coz A- Levels is not that popular that doesn't mean that they will make themselves similar to IB.

Ok firstly, its not the IB system copied. The Cambridge Pre-U thing is different in many ways.

I love the IB system. it will turn it out 2 be the best n the most popular. i think it already is..

It isnt already the most popular and i'm sceptical over whether it will ever be the most popular. Don't get me wrong I enjoy it but I just think this Cambridge exam format will really take off both in the state and independent schools.

EDIT: And what is with the constant double/triple/quadruple posting you keep doing? There is an "Edit" button for a reason.

Latest

Trending

Trending