The Student Room Group

Can't drive my new car

So I've just passed my driving test about a week ago after almost a year of lessons (I took ages to book my theory and then failed my first practical). I learnt in a 2014 Audi A1 with a 1.6 litre engine.

After passing I bought a car and I'm finding it impossible to find the biting point and who knew I had to use gas when reversing (definitely didn't have to in the Audi!). Its a 2007 Corsa Life with a 1.0 Litre engine and it's really knocking my confidence that I can't drive it, I've been out in it a few times and have been stalling so much:frown: I wouldn't consider myself a bad driver and only got 2 minors both times I took test, obviously getting a major the first time oops

Both mum and dad don't understand why I can't find the bite, i'm fine coming to the end of the road and turning but at traffic lights and roundabouts I panic and can't find the bite so keep stalling. Somebody said something about the fact the car doesn't have a hydraulic clutch but don't know if that would make a massive difference? I just want to be able to drive around confidently!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by korynclancy

who knew I had to use gas when reversing (definitely didn't have to in the Audi!). Its a 2007 Corsa Life with a 1.0 Litre engine

There's your problem there. You can use the clutch to pull the car in first or reverse in petrol, generally, from 1.2. Some 1.0's might be able to do it, but my mums 1.0 Yaris cannot.

I've been out in it a few times and have been stalling so much

A lot of new drivers are first taught how to find the bite, then apply the gas. This results in them continuously finding their bite and then applying gas. On the odd time that you over compensate the bite, you stall. Why? Because you're applying no gas; because you do that after. To stop stalling, apply some gas FIRST and then find your bite slowly. Worst case scenario is that you'll kangaroo a little bit but you won't stall.

Both mum and dad don't understand why I can't find the bite

I do. Muscle memory. You're use to the clutch in the audi and because the Corsa isn't the same, you're struggling. When I first passed, I went from a Corsa D to a Corsa C. Same make, same line, but totally different clutches. Took me a few weeks to adjust and many stalls(because at that point, I was doing the dreaded find the bite first, then apply gas). Now with experience, I can hop into any car and drive it totally fine. Currently driving a courtesy car Vauxhall Mokka which is TOTALLY different from normal cars. Personally I find Vauxhall clutches (in their cars, not the stupid middle-aged-woman-wagon I'm driving currently) very nice. They're forgiving for over compensation as they have quite a spongy (large) bite point. But obviously, when you're not used to it, they feel off and horrible.

Worst thing you can do is get stressed about it. Honestly, relax. Everybody stalls. The best thing you can do is take your car to a quiet carpark and do a few bay parks, then a few parallel parks, hill starts etc. Things which require delicate clutch work. That'll really speed you up on getting to grips with the car; just normally driving about, no matter how much more pleasant it is compared to when you think you're gonna stall at the next roundabout, won't help.

Give it a few days of practice and you'll be golden.
I was a bit like that at first, but all it takes is a bit of practice. Keep practising and you'll have no problem finding the bite.
I took my boyfriend's petrol car to work one day after my diesel car wouldn't start. I stalled about 10 times in the space of 20 miles.

It's natural to stall a few times when you get into a new car, especially if you haven't driven in a while. I'm going to echo everyone else and say you just need more practice to get used to the clutch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Its perfectly normal to have problems with the clutch in different cars. I stall when I swap my car for my wife's car because they have different bite points and I have been driving for years.

Like the previous poster, you just need to practice somewhere quite until you get used to your new car. Good luck.
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your advice! Was meant to be driving to school (its about a forty minute drive) but i've made myself terrified! I've been doing small drives round where I live and attempted to do all the manoeuvres you're taught for test and stalled doing all of them because can't get to grips with the idea of using gas for reversing =D Fingers crossed I'll be driving to and from school next week waaa
Thank you so much for your advice! Was meant to be driving to school (its about a forty minute drive) but i've made myself terrified! I've been doing small drives round where I live and attempted to do all the manoeuvres you're taught for test and stalled doing all of them because can't get to grips with the idea of using gas for reversing =D Fingers crossed I'll be driving to and from school next week waaa

When reversing and doing a manoeuvre, are you holding the car at the bite point and changing how much gas you're putting on?

You MIGHT find it easier, to keep your gas (very lightly) constant and use the clutch to engage the car into moving since you're using exactly the same principal as if the car could pull itself on the clutch (Once you apply some light gas, just pretend that you're applying none; as you would when using only the clutch) and move your left foot.
Reply 7
Original post by ToastyCoke
When reversing and doing a manoeuvre, are you holding the car at the bite point and changing how much gas you're putting on?

You MIGHT find it easier, to keep your gas (very lightly) constant and use the clutch to engage the car into moving since you're using exactly the same principal as if the car could pull itself on the clutch (Once you apply some light gas, just pretend that you're applying none; as you would when using only the clutch) and move your left foot.

Didn't think of that - I'll try that next time! Thank you:smile:
Don't worry, we all have the same problems. I was learning in a brand new Mini petrol and had a rubbish old Peugeot 106 diesel. You will get used to it, and it will make you a better driver for it.
Reply 9
Perhaps your letting go of the clutch to fast you should do it slowly while simultaneously pressing the gas slowly as well
Takes practice. Like somebody else stated, try using a bit of gas before you reach your bite point. In the case you lift your clutch too far it wont stall straight away as you'll have some gas applied. If you feel like the car is going to stall or jump forward which you'll definitely feel, apply more gas if in front of you is clear to continue driving, or push the clutch in a little to stop the car from moving.

My friend recently passed his test and he said he doesn't use gas when pulling up in a junction (such as creeping forward to get a better view). In my opinion this is worse than applying gas as there's more chance you're going to jump forward as the car goes to stall?

Always use gas even when reversing.. Especially if it's on an incline, up a kerb etc. You don't want to burn the clutch out.
So I've just passed my driving test about a week ago after almost a year of lessons (I took ages to book my theory and then failed my first practical). I learnt in a 2014 Audi A1 with a 1.6 litre engine.

After passing I bought a car and I'm finding it impossible to find the biting point and who knew I had to use gas when reversing (definitely didn't have to in the Audi!). Its a 2007 Corsa Life with a 1.0 Litre engine and it's really knocking my confidence that I can't drive it, I've been out in it a few times and have been stalling so much:frown: I wouldn't consider myself a bad driver and only got 2 minors both times I took test, obviously getting a major the first time oops

Both mum and dad don't understand why I can't find the bite, i'm fine coming to the end of the road and turning but at traffic lights and roundabouts I panic and can't find the bite so keep stalling. Somebody said something about the fact the car doesn't have a hydraulic clutch but don't know if that would make a massive difference? I just want to be able to drive around confidently!!!

Once you have been out in it a bit, you will get used to it.
It might help to go out on your own, so if you do make mistakes, you havent got anyone in the car with you judging you. I certainly preffered going out on my own when i first passed.
Reply 12
Same thing happened to me when I passed my driving test. I was absolutely fine in my driving instructors car yet I drove like a learner in my new car. My dad insisted my driving instructor come back to my new car and he just watched me drive around and he said I was fine and it was a massive boost to my confidence. I've been driving for about 5 months and am only 17 and live in London so it really helps to get your instructor to come back. It is embarrassing at first having your instructor coming back but it really helps in the long-term :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your learner car was probably a 1.6 TDI, diesels are generally easier to move with just the clutch, you're going to have to get used to applying the gas while raising the clutch.

Latest

Trending

Trending