The Student Room Group

Please help with source-based question structure! (Edexcel)

Hi,

So I'm doing AS History with Edexcel; the source questions I am doing Henry VIII but I am struggling with all the structural stuff.

I get about all the cross-referencing, but do you then write about the provenance, nature, origin etc in the same paragraph and integrate it with the cross-referencing, or do you cross-reference the sources, then do the provenance after?

Same sort of thing with the question where you have your own knowledge - do you cross-reference the sources then put your on knowledge in, or quote one source, add some knowledge, cross-reference with another source, add some knowledge, and then cross-reference the last source and add some knowledge?

I have a sample paragraph I just wrote for the question that you don't need knowledge for, I'd really appreciate feedback:
'Source 1 shows how the Pilgrimage of Grace was caused as 'the service of God [was] not well performed'. This was the first notice on the petition, suggesting it was the most important demand for the rebels, further implying that religious grievances were the cause of the risings. The final point also says that recent Bishops have 'subverted the faith of Christ'; this subversion is supported by source 2, claiming that the rebellion was a way of preventing 'the changes in matter of religion'. Source 3 supports this with the 'restoration of the church' seeming to be the most important motivation of the pilgrimage. We can rely on source 1, as the demands of the Pilgramage would have evidently been well thought-out; Source 2 could also be seen as reliable, but Chapuys view could have been clouded by his own religious beliefs, and Source 3 should be reliable as those in the Pilgramage of Grace wanted everyone to be in it for religious reasons. However, the fact that there was an oath suggests that there were other motivations for risings which they were keen to prevent getting into the pilgrimage.'

I would appreciate some feedback so much on this - argh I am so nervous for the exam!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending