The Student Room Group

She has cancer.

One of my friends at university is recovering from leukaemia (the cancer is pretty much gone I believe however she is still weakened by the ordeal). And I am going to go into the hospital and read her revision materials etc., to her so she does not miss out on her exam preparation (as well as to give her lots of cuddles :biggrin:). I am aware that it needs to be very gentle as she is not back at her full ability yet, so has anything ever done anything like this? How long a rest break should I give her?
Sod the revision materials, not a priority. Just be there for her and support her in whatever way you can.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymoùs
Sod the revision materials, not a priority. Just be there for her and support her in whatever way you can.

She would like to revise though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymoùs

Thank you for your concern though!
Reply 4
Anyone else?
Reply 5
Id say just being there and talking to them about anything at all (any sports they follow or how your day went) would be the best thing you could do.
ye a few times. Not reading revision though just going in to see them n giving flowers.
Reply 7
Original post by ChickenMadness
ye a few times. Not reading revision though just going in to see them n giving flowers.

She wants to do revision though. Lol, I am not going in with some revision books just to make her feel stressed it is something that she wants.
Original post by HansGruber
One of my friends at university is recovering from leukaemia (the cancer is pretty much gone I believe however she is still weakened by the ordeal). And I am going to go into the hospital and read her revision materials etc., to her so she does not miss out on her exam preparation (as well as to give her lots of cuddles :biggrin:). I am aware that it needs to be very gentle as she is not back at her full ability yet, so has anything ever done anything like this? How long a rest break should I give her?

Definately take her some chocolate and some flowers, I have spent prolonged periods very unwell and nothing is nicer than a kind gesture and a smile :smile:
Just until she gets tired, she'll know when she's had enough and when she's too tired to do any more. There's a broad range of reactions to chemo so there's no way anyone can say "she can do 30 mins revision maximum till she's tired"
Yeah, you know your friend the best, if she's looking a little tired just ask her if she'd like a rest? maybe bring her some good comfort food and something she'd like to do between revision sessions??
Reply 11
If she definitely wants to revise, bring something light and easy. Don't get a book full of notes: this would depress me if I had only just recovered!

Other than that, just be supportive, show your willingness to help her through and make her feel like she's definitely got someone to rely on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zahid~
Id say just being there and talking to them about anything at all (any sports they follow or how your day went) would be the best thing you could do.

Yes. And don't keep bringing the cancer up. My Granddad requested that it was something we didn't mention it and he hated being asked how he was. We were told on Wednesday that a friend of ours has cancer. Again, he doesn't want to discuss it. He requested that we be told after he left and that he has an operation next week and it was explained his absence was because of his cancer.

Everyone is different. But don't make her cancer the subject everytime you meet up. If your friend wants to discuss her cancer, then fine. If she doesn't, then leave it.

With the rest breaks - discuss that with her.

Hospital food is in general, awful. She may appreciate some nice home made food.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending