The Student Room Group

Guys, how do you deal with breakups?

How do you deal with breakups with someone you really love(d)?
Not sure if you're asking for how you should be dealing with your breakup, or how we specifically deal with our breakups.

Me specifically, I try and keep myself as busy as possible (like I have done recently through breaking up). For example, getting really involved in my university work, seeing my friends a lot, trying to talk to new people a lot (which websites like this are great for obviously) and just generally keep your mind busy.
It's okay to have a period of sitting in your room all quiet, watching Bridget Jones' Diary with a tub of Ben and Jerry's and a bottle of whisky, but that really isn't good for you in the long term at all.
Reply 2
Reminisce in a pathetic way, get drunk, spend time with friends, hope for rebound relationship. Sad, I know..
Reply 3
Original post by AlexJWise
Not sure if you're asking for how you should be dealing with your breakup, or how we specifically deal with our breakups.

Me specifically, I try and keep myself as busy as possible (like I have done recently through breaking up). For example, getting really involved in my university work, seeing my friends a lot, trying to talk to new people a lot (which websites like this are great for obviously) and just generally keep your mind busy.
It's okay to have a period of sitting in your room all quiet, watching Bridget Jones' Diary with a tub of Ben and Jerry's and a bottle of whisky, but that really isn't good for you in the long term at all.

How we specifically deal with break ups.
Like with me, it was my fault, and I find myself trying to go into stuff like drawing and I don't know if I should feel hate towards her. She's recently said that she'll be there for me as a friend and I am still hurt. But, she acts like nothing happened, with her pictures .

I do still love her, I just don't know what to really do.

It just feels a bit weird going back into single life, you know.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Reminisce in a pathetic way, get drunk, spend time with friends, hope for rebound relationship. Sad, I know..

I've done the rebound thing before, wasn't a good move.
Also, a lot of girls won't go for the rebound thing once they realise that you're a pathetic mess using somebody as a scapegoat for their issues.

Original post by Anonymous
How we specifically deal with break ups.
Like with me, it was my fault, and I find myself trying to go into stuff like drawing and I don't know if I should feel hate towards her.

Look at this part. If it was your fault, it isn't logical to feel hate towards her, and doesn't seem particularly fair.
Sometimes girls take a little while to actually accept what's going on when it comes to breaking up, and don't always accept it straight away in the hopes that you're going to call them and admit how very wrong you were.
The single life is a weird realm, but it's not a bad place once you start trying to talk to your old friends, and new friends, and try to rebuild the life you had before her. You've no reason to really hate her though have you?
Reply 6
Also, a lot of girls won't go for the rebound thing once they realise that you're a pathetic mess using somebody as a scapegoat for their issues.

Look at this part. If it was your fault, it isn't logical to feel hate towards her, and doesn't seem particularly fair.
Sometimes girls take a little while to actually accept what's going on when it comes to breaking up, and don't always accept it straight away in the hopes that you're going to call them and admit how very wrong you were.
The single life is a weird realm, but it's not a bad place once you start trying to talk to your old friends, and new friends, and try to rebuild the life you had before her. You've no reason to really hate her though have you?

Not really, just those heated arguments where words get thrown about. And she was quite blunt and bitter the night it happened. So no, I don't really.
Not really, just those heated arguments where words get thrown about. And she was quite blunt and bitter the night it happened. So no, I don't really.

Words are always thrown about during heated arguments and should never be taken massively to heart, I mean there's usually some truth in them unless they're used totally out of spite, but everybody has flaws and there's no reason for others to advertise them.
Hating her isn't an option then, as you can't really experience somebody to be happy that you're breaking up with them.
Reply 8
Hi, I take it that you have just broken up with someone and I'm sorry to hear that. I have never actually been in a relationship before but if I were in that situation, I would want to stay positive. I don't know the details, but if it was a mutual agreement to part ways then although it is sad, it is the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one (as cliche as that sounds, it is true because each stage of our life teaches us something). Hopefully you guys have made some wonderful memories and can maintain a friendship, then when you eventually meet your soulmate, you will look back in retrospect and realise that this relationship was fun while it lasted but just not destined to work out in the long-term. Equally if your ex decided to end it, then that should indicate that they are just not the right person for you; would you want to stay with them if deep down their heart was not completely in the relationship? It can be even more heart-breaking if you were happy and love that person but they chose to leave you so it cannot last forever. However, do not take it negatively because there isn't necessarily anything 'wrong' with you - everyone has faults and sometimes two people are just not the perfect match. It is said that when you mert 'the one' any difficulties and flaws can be overlooked if you are both truly love each, so everything will be all right.
There is the stereotypical image that a 'dumped' girl (or boy!) initially has to cry whilst watching Bridget Jones' Diary and eating Ben and Jerrys. Alternatively a boy might want to play cards and eat pizza with his friends as they say how much they always hated that b**ch girl (or guy if the dumpee is a homosexual) just to hide the pain. Then next step is to chat with a friend honestly and let your feelings out to relieve the burden of emotion. Then go out and have a great time with friends and family and do the activities that you were never able to do when in a relationship (e.g. If they hated a band that you always wanted to see, then you can go and see the band guilt-free to enjoy your new-found freedom) Whatever you do, it is important to surround yoyrself in the joys of life but not spiral out of control by seeking an escape. So by all means, hang out with friends, travel, go to concerts, read books, learn a language, go shopping, play sport, go to clubs, parks, etc but meanwhile don't distract yourself too much that you pretend it's not happening. One of the key stages of moving on is facing reality and accepting that the relationship is over. After that then you are ready to perhaps meet a new person and develop genuine feelings towards them rather than going through a confusing rebound that becomes messy and hurtful. We all feel lonely sometimes, but desite how lost you may feel post-break up, just remember that we live in a big universe filled with lots of love and somewhere in the world is another person wandering around helplessly until they find you :smile:
Reply 9
Omg Alex! It took me so long to type out that answer that by the time I pressed send you had already given the whole Bridget Jones advice! Great minds think alike :biggrin:
I don't know because I have never had a breakup since I have never had a girlfriend. :frown:
Words are always thrown about during heated arguments and should never be taken massively to heart, I mean there's usually some truth in them unless they're used totally out of spite, but everybody has flaws and there's no reason for others to advertise them.
Hating her isn't an option then, as you can't really experience somebody to be happy that you're breaking up with them.

Thank you mate. Much appreciated.
Original post by Robin18
Hi, I take it that you have just broken up with someone and I'm sorry to hear that. I have never actually been in a relationship before but if I were in that situation, I would want to stay positive. I don't know the details, but if it was a mutual agreement to part ways then although it is sad, it is the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one (as cliche as that sounds, it is true because each stage of our life teaches us something). Hopefully you guys have made some wonderful memories and can maintain a friendship, then when you eventually meet your soulmate, you will look back in retrospect and realise that this relationship was fun while it lasted but just not destined to work out in the long-term. Equally if your ex decided to end it, then that should indicate that they are just not the right person for you; would you want to stay with them if deep down their heart was not completely in the relationship? It can be even more heart-breaking if you were happy and love that person but they chose to leave you so it cannot last forever. However, do not take it negatively because there isn't necessarily anything 'wrong' with you - everyone has faults and sometimes two people are just not the perfect match. It is said that when you mert 'the one' any difficulties and flaws can be overlooked if you are both truly love each, so everything will be all right.
There is the stereotypical image that a 'dumped' girl (or boy!) initially has to cry whilst watching Bridget Jones' Diary and eating Ben and Jerrys. Alternatively a boy might want to play cards and eat pizza with his friends as they say how much they always hated that b**ch girl (or guy if the dumpee is a homosexual) just to hide the pain. Then next step is to chat with a friend honestly and let your feelings out to relieve the burden of emotion. Then go out and have a great time with friends and family and do the activities that you were never able to do when in a relationship (e.g. If they hated a band that you always wanted to see, then you can go and see the band guilt-free to enjoy your new-found freedom) Whatever you do, it is important to surround yoyrself in the joys of life but not spiral out of control by seeking an escape. So by all means, hang out with friends, travel, go to concerts, read books, learn a language, go shopping, play sport, go to clubs, parks, etc but meanwhile don't distract yourself too much that you pretend it's not happening. One of the key stages of moving on is facing reality and accepting that the relationship is over. After that then you are ready to perhaps meet a new person and develop genuine feelings towards them rather than going through a confusing rebound that becomes messy and hurtful. We all feel lonely sometimes, but desite how lost you may feel post-break up, just remember that we live in a big universe filled with lots of love and somewhere in the world is another person wandering around helplessly until they find you :smile:

Oh my gosh , wow. Thanks mate.
Pint of Ben and Jerrys and watch a soppy love film and cry to my hearts content.
Reply 14
Oh my gosh , wow. Thanks mate.

You're welcome :smile: Aha, I didn't mean to write a massive speech but I thought I'd cheer you up!
Original post by Robin18
Omg Alex! It took me so long to type out that answer that by the time I pressed send you had already given the whole Bridget Jones advice! Great minds think alike :biggrin:

What can I say, it's a beautiful piece of advice!
Original post by Robin18
You're welcome :smile: Aha, I didn't mean to write a massive speech but I thought I'd cheer you up!

Haha, thanks!
Shag someone more attractive (preferably her friend, ideally her sister), feel empty inside, cry a bit, go gym or get drunk. Rinse and repeat.
Original post by Le Nombre
Shag someone more attractive (preferably her friend, ideally her sister), feel empty inside, cry a bit, go gym or get drunk. Rinse and repeat.

No thanks lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending