The Student Room Group

Sleeping with other people whilst dating

What are your views on this?

I found out the person I’m dating slept with 2+ people last weekend and feel really upset about it. I feel it’s disrespectful and not sure how I can move forward with them knowing that. Am I overreacting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

I found out the person I’m dating slept with 2+ people last weekend and feel really upset about it. I feel it’s disrespectful and not sure how I can move forward with them knowing that. Am I overreacting?

2+? Don't they remember the exact number?

No you're not overreacting. Dump them and find someone who will consider your feelings.
Dating implies no commitments. Was your dating going anywhere? would they agree?
Reply 4
Usually, dating is casual. You're allowed to date more than one person at once. Were you in a relationship? No. So, you have no right to be annoyed to be quite frank.
Whether you agree with it or not, that's what he wants to do in his spare time.
Choose what you want to do but personally, I don't think he has done anything wrong.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
2+? Don't they remember the exact number?

Well they slept with 2 supposedly, but they could be lying. And that doesn’t include if they got with anyone else while they were out.
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
Dating implies no commitments. Was your dating going anywhere? would they agree?

It was. But then we had a fight just before they left for that weekend, so it was left on uncertain terms. But they did know, I liked them a lot.
Reply 7
Usually, dating is casual. You're allowed to date more than one person at once. Were you in a relationship? No. So, you have no right to be annoyed to be quite frank.
Whether you agree with it or not, that's what he wants to do in his spare time.
Choose what you want to do but personally, I don't think he has done anything wrong.

Personally I only date one person at a time and I think there’s a certain level of respect, if you are seeing someone, then I would not start sleeping with other randomers.
Reply 8
Personally I only date one person at a time and I think there’s a certain level of respect, if you are seeing someone, then I would not start sleeping with other randomers.

The sleeping part I don't agree with. But he IS allowed to date more than one person.
Reply 9
The sleeping part I don't agree with. But he IS allowed to date more than one person.

Thank you, I appreciate that. And can I ask, if you were in a similar position and found out this information. Would you end it completely or give him another chance?
It was. But then we had a fight just before they left for that weekend, so it was left on uncertain terms. But they did know, I liked them a lot.

I think a lot of people would assume if they had a fight with someone they were merely dating that was the end of things, there wouldn't be any formal breakup.

The trouble is the terms 'dating'' and 'seeing someone' often blur a bit for different people. To me dating is spending some time getting to know someone making broadly clear what your intent is, but it has 0 commitment and you could be dating or being physical with several people. It would only be a few 'dates' before one of us would likely be pushing for a choice - either we don't click, we want to start being exclusive, bf & gf whatever or we are just having a sort of FWB deal with no more. I think a lot of people would say 'seeing someone' means things have progressed and you have agreed to be exclusive, if you haven't things are just in limbo really.

Depends. If you are exclusively dating and are committed then it is cheating and not acceptable at all. If it is a situation where you have been on like a date or two and are getting to know each other but its not serious or committed or exclusive yet then i dont personally see an issue because you can get to know an die intimate with other people. I guess its all about personal expectations which is why communication is important
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
I think a lot of people would assume if they had a fight with someone they were merely dating that was the end of things, there wouldn't be any formal breakup.

The trouble is the terms 'dating'' and 'seeing someone' often blur a bit for different people. To me dating is spending some time getting to know someone making broadly clear what your intent is, but it has 0 commitment and you could be dating or being physical with several people. It would only be a few 'dates' before one of us would likely be pushing for a choice - either we don't click, we want to start being exclusive, bf & gf whatever or we are just having a sort of FWB deal with no more. I think a lot of people would say 'seeing someone' means things have progressed and you have agreed to be exclusive, if you haven't things are just in limbo really.

I think that where it’s got mixed up. However, we had agreed to talk/resolve things this week - so it wasn’t officially over if this makes sense? Or it wasn’t in my head anyway.

Yeah it’s really difficult as we are only 4/5 dates in, so very early days and we hadn’t had any type of discussion. I would not be actively looking for anything, seeing anyone else or sleeping with anyone else but in theory we are both still single. So it’s a really tricky one and I do feel very hurt by it, but technically they haven’t done anything wrong. And now I don’t know what to do moving forward.
Reply 13
Depends. If you are exclusively dating and are committed then it is cheating and not acceptable at all. If it is a situation where you have been on like a date or two and are getting to know each other but its not serious or committed or exclusive yet then i dont personally see an issue because you can get to know an die intimate with other people. I guess its all about personal expectations which is why communication is important

Yeah I think the communication has fallen apart and that’s how/why this has happened.
Yeah I think the communication has fallen apart and that’s how/why this has happened.

If i were you i'd have a big chat with the person about everything and then make a decision on if you want to go forward and what you'd expect if you do choose to go forward
Thank you, I appreciate that. And can I ask, if you were in a similar position and found out this information. Would you end it completely or give him another chance?

I don't think it's necessarily about giving him another chance as such.
He didn't do anything wrong. I mean, he wasn't your boyfriend.
If he really liked you, he wouldn't be dating other people anyway he'd focus on you. Which means he either doesn't like you that much yet or he didn't see you guys seriously.
Both parties have just got the wrong end of the stick. There's just a lack of communication from them both about what they are/what they're doing.

You are not. Move on from the person.
I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, back when I was actively dating I would go on dates/sleep with multiple people in the same timeframe until I made an agreement with someone that we would be exclusive. Until that point you're not tied down.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 18

If it were me, I would've dumped him/her even without thinking twice.

A person definitely can sleep with anyone as it's his/her preference. But along with that why the hell on planet would you date someone? Do a thing. Don't play with too many lives.
Reply 19

Surely you posted this the other day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending