The Student Room Group

TOK Essay: Can a Machine know?

Here is the deal; I know there is another thread out there discussing this thats actually how I found this forum. But that topic was going down the wrong road. It wasnt really adressing the question in terms of TOK, but rather too general.

What I need, is a bunch of Problems of Knowledge that relate to this topic.

Obviously there is the ambiguity of language, what is a machine and knowledge etc.

Also if an artificial inteligence is programmed to react to stimuli in a certain way, and therefore (acording to some definitions) have knowledge about the situation, the programming could be corrupt. I dunno thats all I could think of :confused:

But other than that nothing comes to mind right now (TOK is not my strong point because I dont give a rats ass).

And what about how it connects to areas of knowledge and ways of knowing. I conected it with Biology in terms of; is the human body a machine. What else? And ways of knowing is more obvious, for a machine to know it needs to be able to utilse the ways of knowing, perception, reason etc.

Can anybody help me out with this stuff? Oh btw am I being academically dishonest by asking random strangers on the internet for help on this?

thnx alrdy :biggrin:

go :tsr2:
Reply 1
If you are doing the ToK essay I cannot stress enough that the question is:

"Can a Machine Know?"

NOT think.
Reply 2
ok ive changed it...ive actually written a rough draft in which I actually did use know, not think. obviously the two are different. ok thnx for the heads up
Reply 3
Deus, If you'd have read the post that followed the title, you'd realise the poster obviously made a mistake in the title as they promptly started talking about knolwedge.

EDIT: it seems I got beaten to the punch.

Imperative to this essay is defining knowledge and saying how a machine's knowledge is different to a human's knowledge. An interesting point you could bring in if you're brave enough is questionning whether humans themselves are machines and are programmed to do things.
Reply 4
brave enuf? im up for the challenge! :biggrin: no but I did something like that, the definition of a machine I am planning to work with is:

something with parts that work together to do a job.

I dont really like the definition because of the word something, it sounds very... unsufisticated. With this definition, the human body is classified as a machine, althought, if you think about it; just because McDonald food tastes good, doesnt mean that all good tasing food is from McDonalds, thus something that fits with the definition doesnt neceserally need to be a machine.

Also, I was wondering whether I change it into: a man-made object with parts that work together to do a job. This however would eliminate the human body a a machine. But it might be more what the examinors are looking for.

Any thoughts?
Reply 5
Surely a machine is just something that converts mechanical energy to work.

As you can see, yet again a physicists view :p:
Reply 6
I dropped physics before IB for goods reasons, I had a decent grade on it but no idea how I achied it ^^ didnt wanna embarass myself in the future haha...

mechanical energy would be?

"In physics, mechanical energy describes the potential energy and kinetic energy present in the components of a mechanical system."

wikipedia :P

is that correct?
Reply 7
hmm sounds vaguely right. But thats just the total energy of a mechanical system (which is in effect its mechanical energy).

But that is not really for a ToK essay :wink:
Reply 8
yeh but i sort of wanted to know what I was talking bout if I used a definition involving mechanical energy... but this definition is sort of...a loop...no it rlly is...

you see... a a machine is a mechanical system which turns mechanical energy into work, but all this mechanical stuff just means machine, and you cant define something by itself, you cant say like: persuasion is when you persuade some1, for example. am I full of shte here and just confusing myself or do I have a point?
I'm also doing my TOK essay on that subject. I have something written down, but it all goes around the fact that machines are programmed with a certain task and that they cannot know themselves without the help of humans. And I added quite a bit on Artificial Intelligence. I need some pointers... Especially when it comes to the Problems of Knowledge. (It doesn't help that my essay is due tomorrow)
Reply 10
well knowledge acording to my definition is: a justified true belief. thats the one we were taught.

the justification is based on authority, in this case being the programmer.
then there is a problem of knowledge, because authority can be abused and a knowledge claim made by a machine justified by authority could be false, biased, etc (Problem of Knowledge)

then belief is a mental acceptance and conviction in the truth, actuality or validity of something and the question is can an artificial inteligence at this time fit the definition? i think not
on mine, I just did a paragraph on each way of knowing and talked about it for machines.

do we need problems?

Latest

Trending

Trending