The Student Room Group

excel problem

is anyone here good with excel and has knowledge on how to code etc? if so could you possibly message me so I can ask something :smile: it's quite a long question so I don't want to write it all out in case I get no responses! Thank you
Original post by AlioMali
is anyone here good with excel and has knowledge on how to code etc? if so could you possibly message me so I can ask something :smile: it's quite a long question so I don't want to write it all out in case I get no responses! Thank you

Welcome to TSR.

If you have a question ask it here.

If you have something to hide (eg. you don't want your tutors to know you got help from somewhere) then don't post at all.
Reply 2
huh? I Don't have anything to "hide" that's not what I said in my original post at all?
Reply 3
huh? I Don't have anything to "hide" that's not what I said in my original post at all?

Just post it on here. More people are likely to respond rather than having to message you and wait for a response etc.
I have some knowledge of coding with Excel so I might be able to help but I would still suggest posting your query on here so that everyone can contribute and see each other's responses!
Reply 4
ok well basically i ran a survey on survey monkey. for one of the questions they had to answer (for example- not actual question!) what is your favourite colour- blue red green yellow. I want to code these in excel as 1 2 3 4. When I do this (and change the words to numbers) is there a process I need to do to actualyl code them or is it simply a matter of replacing "blue" with "1", "red" with "2" etc?
Reply 5
ok well basically i ran a survey on survey monkey. for one of the questions they had to answer (for example- not actual question!) what is your favourite colour- blue red green yellow. I want to code these in excel as 1 2 3 4. When I do this (and change the words to numbers) is there a process I need to do to actualyl code them or is it simply a matter of replacing "blue" with "1", "red" with "2" etc?

May I ask why you want to change the answers into numbers? Is it for some kind of scoring system?
Reply 6
it's what my teacher has suggested I'm not 100% clear why.
Reply 7
it's what my teacher has suggested I'm not 100% clear why.

Well I can't be sure about this answer being correct seeing as I do not know what you want to do but here goes.

From what I can tell, you don't need to use code; you can use an IF statement. Put this:

=IF(C11="Blue","1",IF(C11="Red","2",IF(C11="Green","3",IF(C11="Yellow","4",""))))

in the field where you would like the numbers (1 to 4) to appear. You will have to adapt it to your work but this statement is true where C11 is the answer to the question so you will need to change that to wherever you are putting the answer in.
Also, you will need to change the names of the colours to whatever the actual choices are from your survey question so that it works.

When you have got this to work then, in the cell where you have put the above formula, drag down in the bottom right corner of the cell using the little black cross. This will put the formula in all of the cells you want it in.

Let me know if this helps!
Reply 8
Did that do the trick?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending