The Student Room Group

Cliques at university

I have been at university for sixth months now and already cliques are forming. People not inviting me to parties, -- “Ill try to invite you when I get back home, but I might forget” people not sitting next to each other, people not telling me that there are parties not going on. I feel let down by these people, because I have done nothing but help and support them, and this is how they repay me? Should I take it personally? It's a masters degree, so it is over in five months, but I feel really hurt...
Reply 1
Anyone>?
Of course cliques form - they form everywhere. Just ignore them, find some people who might actually share some interests as you and hang out with them. Anyway, friends are probably the most transient thing in your life - there will always be people coming and going.
Reply 3
Original post by hothedgehog
Of course cliques form - they form everywhere. Just ignore them, find some people who might actually share some interests as you and hang out with them. Anyway, friends are probably the most transient thing in your life - there will always be people coming and going.

I am just disaapointed because they were so nice in first semester. Now there is a cold indiffernence, which I find depressing.
I never found any cliques forming at university. Obviously people have their own friendship groups, but they're rarely unfriendly towards others.
Reply 5
Original post by cole-slaw
I never found any cliques forming at university. Obviously people have their own friendship groups, but they're rarely unfriendly towards others.

It was like this on my undergraduate degree where half the year had a clique and excluded everyone else. Really mean people.
Original post by Kasa
It was like this on my undergraduate degree where half the year had a clique and excluded everyone else. Really mean people.

Cliques at uni form, unfortunately. They tend to be female cliques - speaking from experience - and have some correlation with who they live with or play sports with (sports teams).

Why not ask people for drinks? If you play a key part in getting people together, people will remember you. :smile:

Of course, if you're not drinking, then societies may be good for you. Ultimately people generally come out with strong friendships at the end of uni. There are two more years left to find more people. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending