The Student Room Group

Wanting to go out without my partner

(F 21)
I’m going out with my work colleagues soon and as much as I like spending time with my girlfriend, in the past I’ve preferred the night she couldn’t make it. I feel horrible saying it but I was able to speak to other people without worrying if my girlfriend was having a good time. And people spoke to me more.

Her and One colleague who Happens to be my best friend openly dislike each other and I’m scared what will come of it when they’re both drunk. I’m also afraid my girlfriend only said yes to coming to keep an eye on said friend

I’m not sure how to bring this up to her, she doesn’t really have any other friends and lives alone so I feel a little responsible for her social life sometimes. I don’t want to hurt her feelings

Any help much appreciated
Reply 1
Work outings are often quite painful for partners as they are not part of that clique and you need to be a particularly sociable animal to enjoy them. At my work partners are not included in the Xmas party for that very reason. It’s going to be difficult to negotiate a way out though if you’re correct that she doesn’t trust your friend and is coming along for that reason. It might be best to share your reasons fairly openly, give reassurance and also make time to do something good with her around the same time. Or only go to events when she’s not available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending