The Student Room Group

Help

Hi guys!
I started IB this September and although I'm finding it tough, I'm enjoying it.
I take HL History, French B, German B and SL Maths St., Chemistry and English A1 ... and I'm hoping to apply for Cambridge to do Modern Languages (so I need to get 40 - eek).

I'm finding Chemistry impossible at the moment and I was wondering whether I should drop to E. Systems (if it's even easier - it looks like biology but with some social science) ... but would that look really bad and put me at a disadvantage when applying for a top uni, as I'm doing Maths St. as well? Or would it not matter as I'm going for an Arts degree? With Chemistry, I am willing to put a lot of work in but the end of term exam I just took was AWFUL.

I'd appreciate your adivce :smile: Thanks in advance x
Reply 1
Shouldnt matter as its nothing to do with Chemistry :p:

Just stick with it for a little while longer, plugging away at your difficulties, and you may be pleasantly suprised - When I started Physics HL I thought it was going to be too hard and that I wasn't good enough, now it comes easy.
Reply 2
You should check what the requirements are for your program at Cambridge. I doubt that they would specify anything along the sciences and mathematics but it would look good to see that you're able to do fairly advanced math and sciences as well. If you're a well-rounded student, that would be an asset to have seeing how admission to universities like Cambridge are rather cut-throat.

Concerning your question about SL Chemistry, danglenister is right. SL Chemistry shouldn't be too much of a problem although the first few months may be a struggle as you're getting used to the accelerated pace. After learning a few seemingly hard concepts, everything will start to come together as a lot of the units are connected to each other in one way or another and if you mastered certain fundamental concepts, things should be easier for you. Trust me, I took the SL Chemistry in IB1 in May '06 and aced the exam ... All I can say is that I overestimated SL Chemistry :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending