Would you employ an immigrant?

This poll is closed

Employ an immigrant?

Yes only if there were no suitable British applicants 11%
Never 4%
If they met the job criteria 11%
Treat the same as British applicants73%
Total votes: 45
If you were involved in recruiting a new employee to your company, would you employ an immigrant who matched the job criteria?

Scroll to see replies

I'd treat them the same as a British applicant. The job should go to the most able/suitable candidate, regardless of the nationality on the passport.
Original post by Quantex
I'd treat them the same as a British applicant. The job should go to the most able/suitable candidate, regardless of the nationality on the passport.

Exactly this. And obviously there would be an added requirement of fluent English.
Regardless of personal opinions, we all have to comply with the law, and the law currently doesn't allow you to give preference to non-immigrants, as long as they have the right to be here and to work here.
Reply 4
If anything, in my industry we give preference to immigrants. Much harder workers, easier to handle, and they want the work more.
Original post by Maker
If you were involved in recruiting a new employee to your company, would you employ an immigrant who matched the job criteria?

I personally prefer hiring those from EU over those from UK.
Reply 6
Original post by Alfissti
I personally prefer hiring those from EU over those from UK.

Any reasons?
Depends, for non-EU nationals there are additional costs and paperwork involved which may not make hiring them over a British applicant worth it. For EU nationals however as long as they could perform to the same level as a British applicant they would be treated the same, although potentially with further proof of ability in the English language.
As long as they're legal and meet the criteria, then they'd have as much a chance of getting the job as anyone else applying
Original post by kka25
Any reasons?

The only 2 businesses I've kept on in UK are 2 hotels. Both hotels are staffed primarily by those from Poland, Czech, Germany, France and Nordic countries.

Why I prefer hiring those from EU? Quite simple, the industry I operate in requires lots of hardwork, dedication, punctuality and manners. A certain amount of honesty and trust are also required.

Hardwork is simply something you cannot buy from a Brit these days, where it is fairly easy to buy it off a Pole and they sell it for cheap as well.

Dedication, while it isn't really essential for the industry a certain amount of it is required as constant and high staff turnover is costly for me as it cost money to train and to keep training new people is a waste of my resources. Too many Brits the moment the work tasks is something they don't like they simply choose not to show up for work or don't do that good a job, where a Pole or a Czech where the money is good and it doesn't take a lot to make it "good money" you give them the hardest and crappiest of tasks and they shut up and do it while smiling too.

Punctuality, the thing speaks for itself.

Manners, while it is generally the case those from EU are somewhat poor in manners you could somewhat tell them and control them easily with some money.
Reply 10
The only 2 businesses I've kept on in UK are 2 hotels. Both hotels are staffed primarily by those from Poland, Czech, Germany, France and Nordic countries.

Why I prefer hiring those from EU? Quite simple, the industry I operate in requires lots of hardwork, dedication, punctuality and manners. A certain amount of honesty and trust are also required.

Hardwork is simply something you cannot buy from a Brit these days, where it is fairly easy to buy it off a Pole and they sell it for cheap as well.

Dedication, while it isn't really essential for the industry a certain amount of it is required as constant and high staff turnover is costly for me as it cost money to train and to keep training new people is a waste of my resources. Too many Brits the moment the work tasks is something they don't like they simply choose not to show up for work or don't do that good a job, where a Pole or a Czech where the money is good and it doesn't take a lot to make it "good money" you give them the hardest and crappiest of tasks and they shut up and do it while smiling too.

Manners, while it is generally the case those from EU are somewhat poor in manners you could somewhat tell them and control them easily with some money.

How about Americans, Asians and Australians though? Do you feel the same way about them as well?
Original post by Maker

Your second and third answers are essentially the same. The British person would obviously also need to meet the job criteria, same as the hypothetical immigrant.

Funny that you've essentially just slagged off your entire customer base in respect of the two hotels.
What's the difference between the third and fourth option of the poll?

Original post by ryan316
If anything, in my industry we give preference to immigrants. Much harder workers, easier to handle, and they want the work more.

That implies immigrants are given preferential treatment, but I think what you mean to say is that they tend to be the preferred candidates because they match the skill set you are looking for better than their competitors?
Well I would have to take their language skills and religion into account (I wouldn't hire someone I couldn't understand and I wouldn't hire someone who expected special treatment for religious purposes) But other than that so long as they were nice people, no bad criminal record and fit the job criteria sure.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Funny that you've essentially just slagged off your entire customer base in respect of the two hotels.

Except I haven't.
70% of the customer base for both hotels are from China, 25% from Nordic countries and 5% from Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea.

Original post by kka25
How about Americans, Asians and Australians though? Do you feel the same way about them as well?

Americans? They aren't bad when it comes to working.

Asians? Depends from where, females from Asia make for excellent employees, employ quite a fair few of those.

Australians? The ones out of Australia are excellent, the ones in Australia not so. Currently have 2 of them on my payroll.
Except I haven't.
70% of the customer base for both hotels are from China, 25% from Nordic countries and 5% from Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea.

So you have 0 UK customers? Sounds legit. Even the most international hotels in London still have UK customers.

Besides, it says a lot if someone chooses to locate their business, and invest in, a country full of unpunctual layabouts.
Original post by Lady Comstock
So you have 0 UK customers? Sounds legit. Even the most international hotels in London still have UK customers.

Besides, it says a lot if someone chooses to locate their business, and invest in, a country full of unpunctual layabouts.

Yes, both have had zero UK customers since the day we started trading as a hotel. We are only interested in 2 businesses, air crew and tour groups, not really interested in your business unless you happen to buy 10 rooms and for a minimum of 3 nights.
Id be interested to know say with the first one, how people are defining "British" are they defining it civically, or are they defining it as White English? I mean yeah sure most people would define you as British civically, but TSR does have some quite extreme right wing members, so it'd be interesting knowing how the people who clicked the top option, are defining the word "British" :smile:
Does a British national mean only white brits or also POC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending