The Student Room Group

Should the UK get rid of its nuclear deterrent (Trident)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katinthehat
I would not describe the UK as "formidable", more "snobbish".

It was more a geographical reference if anything else. People assume we are still an empire when we are really just a dot on the map.

How a country is governed has much more to do with how much power it exerts on the world, than how large it is. Europe is one of the smallest continents, but it has done far more than all other continents combined in the modern era to affect our world (both for good and bad).
Original post by Captain Jack
Because there is greater strength long term in being part of a larger body. Especially when we have to contend with the USA, Russia, India and China. The UK over generations will eventually lose all major significance on a world stage without being part of the EU, in my view. There are of course different views.

But especially in terms of military force. If we're talking deterrents, I would find a unified European wide threat more of a deterrent than what the UK can afford alone. Also to avoid being singled out as a primary target as the UK is now.

Firstly, the arguments have never stood the test of time with Europe. We're on the third or fourth attempt to unite Europe.

Secondly, nuckear non proliferation treaty would struggle to accommodate a non nation state gaining access to nuckear weapons as well as allowing technology transfer to member states who don't have access to them. Remebe the EU isnt

Thirdly, such a policy would allow an awful lot of Europeans who have embraced extremist ideology over recent years and created a lot of global conflict becoming armed.
Reply 182
About 6% of clinical services are provided by private contractors, many of which are charities and other organisations. So no, he didn't 'privatise' the NHS.

He hasn't managed it yet. He's started the process.

This is an interesting one. In virtually every election since the 1970s, there has been the suggestion that NHS privatisation is somehow just over the horizon, despite the fact that it is actually entirely against every major party's policies.

It sounds like nonsense to me. But let's remember that what you originally said has been definitively shown to be nonsense that you've now back-peddled from. You said "He's privatised the NHS and he's increased the inequality gap"

The first part of that, you've now admitted is untrue. The second is false.

As for inequality, that's actually decreased under the current government.

Due to Cameron's bedroom taxes and MP bonuses? Please.

What it's due to isn't really the issue. You stated something that was untrue.

MPs don't get bonuses.

"The US remains the biggest spender with a total of $30.2bn, the largest aid disbursement ever recorded by a single donor." Bigger economy, more money.

Well, yes. I'm not denying that the United States has a bigger economy than us. It has a population of what, five times as much as we do? I acknowledge that Britain is smaller than some of the biggest countries in the world - I don't think anyone questioned that. We give over half of what the US does in cash terms - with a population a fifth of the size. We are the second biggest aid spender in the world.

Um, in terms of virtually everything from military to diplomatic power, we are doing rather better than the Germans. We are on track to be a larger economy than them, despite their considerably larger population.

Are we really? As mentioned before, GDP.

Yes, we have a higher projected GDP growth. Despite Germany having a considerably larger population than the UK, we are on track to overtake them.

I heard about an issue. I researched the issue. I've seen both sides of the argument. I have sided with one side of the argument because I agree with the supporting evidence. There is nothing wrong with sticking to your guns.

Except you clearly haven't. You've made several factual claims that are objectively wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Incubator
I think you're underestimating our power... Also, with the way things are going with Russia, I see WW3 happening.

Hmmm, I think there is a possibility, you can never really rule it out, but Russia understands that it will be a 2 way thing, so they will definetely think twice. Neither side is THAT stupid.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Hmmm, I think there is a possibility, you can never really rule it out, but Russia understands that it will be a 2 way thing, so they will definetely think twice. Neither side is THAT stupid.

Compare the size of Russia to the size of the UK. If UK was to go to war with Russia, it most definitely wouldn't be without the backing of the USA.
The USA are known warmongers.
Original post by Incubator
Compare the size of Russia to the size of the UK. If UK was to go to war with Russia, it most definitely wouldn't be without the backing of the USA.
The USA are known warmongers.

I wasn't referring to either country specifically. But we're both part of the NATO block, and Russia fully understands NATO's stance on it.
I think it means pretending as though we are some major power shouldn't be on the minds of British people. We should be humble.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that nuclear weapons represent power. I think it seems to imply that you're under confident in your country's military and I think it seems to suggest that you're inclined to violence. Which I don't think is a message the UK should be sending.

Countries that possess nuclear weapons are, in a real and practical sense, equal or at least comparable to one another in power, regardless of any of their other characteristics. It is not a matter of pretence, representation, or implication.

Yet, Germany is a member of the G8. I think that implies a lot about Germany's power level.

No, they do not, because Germany host the nuclear weapons of another country, so they are not at threat from nuclear attack, they are protected and they're not paying for it. It's a sensible idea. One which we should learn from too.

Britain was also a member of the G8, which no longer exists, so it does not distinguish them in power. Canada and Italy were also members, yet clearly weaker than the UK. The perception of Germany as a leading country is a very recent and probably transient phenomenon. Ten years ago most people would have regarded France as the natural leader of the EU, and that is the only sense in which Germany can claim to be a great country today.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by wiseLAD
Scrap them IMO.
1. If the UK ever comes under attack, NATO will come to our aid.
2. Warfare is changing, it is more about intelligence and economic sanctions as opposed to out and out aggression,
For these reasons Trident is now redundant in the modern age of Great Britain

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't be so sure about all of NATO helping us. When Argentina kicked up a fuss about the Falklands not long back (after we found oil about a year ago, maybe two) the USA said they would back the argentines as they would send oil to the US. How is NATO going to help if their biggest player is on the opposing team as such? No one could do anything against America accept Russia or China who wouldn't care about our little domestic :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cba reading the entire thread but is like a tl;dr of each side of the argument...
Original post by MatureStudent36
have you locked your front door before you went to bed?

Yes the front door is locked but that actually offers defense nuclear weapons don't as they know you won't use them.
Original post by Dalek1099
Yes the front door is locked but that actually offers defense nuclear weapons don't as they know you won't use them.

Never met anybody who served on the bombers who wasn't happy to use trident. Helps them knowing that when they launch, it's because somebodys killed their family and friends back home.
Reply 191
I'm amazed that so many people actually engage in a debate over this issue. How anyone can justify nuclear weapons, I'll never know.
Original post by KevK92
I'm amazed that so many people actually engage in a debate over this issue. How anyone can justify nuclear weapons, I'll never know.

They've kept the peace in Europe since 45.

Their use at the end of ww2 saved lives.

Nuclear weapons can be justified the same way as any other weapon system.
Original post by metonymy3
So what you're basically suggesting is that the UK freeload off the rest of NATO. What if the rest of NATO also starts thinking like you do?

I'm saying that each country shouldn't have to rely on their own nuclear weapons, providing that NATO had a suitable arsenal between all of them. Therefore, it's not viable to renew a dated program that puts a massive dent in a country's economy when NATO's nuclear force doesn't depend on them.
Original post by KevK92

If you were to engage with the debate as well, maybe you'll understand how they can justify it...
And your recognition of the fact that all influence does not stem from the amount of nuclear arms your country possess is precisely the point I was trying to make in the first place. We do not have economic strength, but we do have the NHS and two of the best universities in the world in the UK. That makes us considerably influential. We don't have enough nuclear power to actually gain influence because of it, so to avoid spending frankly ridiculous amounts of money on nuclear weapons that the USA is so good at, we may as well scrap the premise altogether. Not all foreign influence has to be military. The most influential foreign powers come from strong governing, and judging by the state of the politics in this decade, we certainly don't have that.

The fact that the government runs some bad hospitals does not make the UK a superpower. :lol:
I don't really care but if they get rid of it they better have something better to replace it.
Reply 197
Original post by ibzombie96
If you were to engage with the debate as well, maybe you'll understand how they can justify it...

I'll never accept that we have to spend 100s of billions of pounds on WOMD to ensure peace. Infact, very few countries do. Only former imperialist countries embark on this ego trip.
Original post by KevK92
I'll never accept that we have to spend 100s of billions of pounds on WOMD to ensure peace. Infact, very few countries do. Only former imperialist countries embark on this ego trip.

That's common fault with people who argue, like you, against nuclear weapons. It may seem paradoxical at first glance, but upon closer inspection, it is much more understandable. There are some countries, like China and Russia, who possess nuclear weapons and who simultaneously engage in aggressive foreign policy. In order that these countries do not think they can get away with anything, we need (and when I say 'we', I mean the liberal countries who believe in freedom ensured through the pursuit of liberal interventionism - i.e., Some European countries, the UK and the U.S.) to be able to show them that appeasement will only go so far and that we are a credible force to be reckoned with. Of course that means a strong 'ground' military, but, if they were to ask themselves how we would react if push came to shove, they must know that they do not solely own the greatest threat - nuclear capability. It is therefore clear that as long as these countries have nuclear weapons. I think a world without nuclear weapons is the optimum situation, but currently that is not the case and it would be a nonsense to assert that we are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending