The Student Room Group

Telematics installation procedure!

Hey all; just purchased a telematics insurance and just wanted the entire procedure from start to finish? What does the installation guy do? I.e. does he start the car, drive it etc etc?
Thank you!

Only asking as I am currently in Munich and wont be back till 4th May and my father purchased the policy for me, just wanted to know the whole procedure and what the chap installing it does etc, cheers
Original post by techgeekx
Hey all; just purchased a telematics insurance and just wanted the entire procedure from start to finish? What does the installation guy do? I.e. does he start the car, drive it etc etc?
Thank you!

Only asking as I am currently in Munich and wont be back till 4th May and my father purchased the policy for me, just wanted to know the whole procedure and what the chap installing it does etc, cheers

They fit a mobile phone sized black box into the car....usually where they can place it in an ideal position so their system can pick it up and can be wired to the battery system.
Reply 2
I had mine fitted through Ingenie so it may be different with others (all though I was under the impression he fitted boxes for a few different companies) but they will come round, check all your paper work and license, look around the outside of your car quick and take a few photos. Then they get in the car with you, ask you to turn the engine on just to see it works, then check all the electronic functions in the car to see they work. Fit the box (mines behind the glove box) and then check all the electronics again just to check it all still works as before, and done! Took under 20 minutes for my second car, but I guess varies between each make and model depending how easy it is to fit.
Reply 3
I see, basically I have an exhaust which came with the car (not sure if it's classed as a mod. or not) but I have arranged for it to come off, just don't want a problem to arise when the chap fits the box and al :/
Reply 4
I see, basically I have an exhaust which came with the car (not sure if it's classed as a mod. or not) but I have arranged for it to come off, just don't want a problem to arise when the chap fits the box and al :/

I guess it would depend how obvious the "mod" is and how thorough the installer is. If it's a car that's known for mods I'd guess they'd have a more in-depth look. I'd try move the removal of the exhaust forward or try delay the install of the box till after the exhaust has been removed so not to waste time and possibly void your insurance.

...or you could be really lucky and they wont even know, don't think I'd like to run that risk though!

Replace all parts with oem parts. My friend got caught out a couple days ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending