The Student Room Group

'Backup' as firm

Hi all I am basically in a situation whereby the university and course content that impressed me the most is the one with slightly lower entry than the others (all very similar entry requirements in the North West for Politics). I wonder what the form would make of putting the uni that would have been my backup MMU as my firm and only choice given it makes no sense to have a higher entry requirement backup?
You can firm whatever you want and an insurance option is optional
Original post by Sylar2010
Hi all I am basically in a situation whereby the university and course content that impressed me the most is the one with slightly lower entry than the others (all very similar entry requirements in the North West for Politics). I wonder what the form would make of putting the uni that would have been my backup MMU as my firm and only choice given it makes no sense to have a higher entry requirement backup?

It is not illogical to have a higher offer as insurance.

For example, you firm ABB and insure AAB. On results day you get AAC and your firm rejects you because of the C and also because they have enough applicants who have fully achieved their offers. On the other hand, your insurance has vacancies and is perfectly happy to take you.
Original post by gulbenkian02
You can firm whatever you want and an insurance option is optional

Good point

Original post by ageshallnot
It is not illogical to have a higher offer as insurance.

For example, you firm ABB and insure AAB. On results day you get AAC and your firm rejects you because of the C and also because they have enough applicants who have fully achieved their offers. On the other hand, your insurance has vacancies and is perfectly happy to take you.

Good point why didn't my college suggest this? Side note I have offers for two courses at the same number of points got thoughts on if it shows higher commitment to a uni going for both their choices?

Good point why didn't my college suggest this? Side note I have offers for two courses at the same number of points got thoughts on if it shows higher commitment to a uni going for both their choices?

Incompetence?

I don't know if that is how they would think. OTOH it could be putting all your eggs in one basket. Unsure.
:wink:
Incompetence?

I don't know if that is how they would think. OTOH it could be putting all your eggs in one basket. Unsure.

Thanks for your input, anyone have an idea on this issue?
Bump anyone could really use another voice or two?
Bump anyone could really use another voice or two?

It's the same voice but I thought I would flesh out my last comment. If you firm and insure two closely related courses at the same uni (eg Politics, and Politics and History) you might come unstuck if for any reason that uni or department has a higher than usual number of successful applicants. If they are full, then they are full.
It's the same voice but I thought I would flesh out my last comment. If you firm and insure two closely related courses at the same uni (eg Politics, and Politics and History) you might come unstuck if for any reason that uni or department has a higher than usual number of successful applicants. If they are full, then they are full.

Thanks again no offence btw just thought this forum might be busier today you make a great point about two courses in the same department. I have made my decision. Rest assured your input however fleeting our contact may be has had an impact.
Thanks again no offence btw just thought this forum might be busier today you make a great point about two courses in the same department. I have made my decision. Rest assured your input however fleeting our contact may be has had an impact.

In that case I hope the impact proves positive!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending