The Student Room Group

Should 16 /17 year old's be allowed to vote?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CrystalMath101
But don't you think our parents will be more informed and care about it more than us 16-17 year olds...since they will also be contributing to your education...?

I'm focusing on 16/17 year olds. Parents of children and other older adults have their own responsibility to be informed.
Original post by holly1798
I'm focusing on 16/17 year olds. Parents of children and other older adults have their own responsibility to be informed.

Yeah but my point is that 16-17 year olds shouldn't vote because they might make uninformed and immature decisions. We should just leave it as it is, because the policies are still directed at families so that also takes into consideration of 16-17 YEAR OLD teens.
When I was that age, I would have loved the opportunity to vote. Being a few years older now, I would tend to disagree as things currently stand. I think I belonged to a group (and a school) that was very politically engaged and made efforts to help us understand the voting system. Now I think that's more of a minority rather that the norm amongst that age group.

I do think that it would be a much more feasible and better idea to introduce giving 16-year-olds the vote alongside a better citizenship curriculum where young people are actually engaged with the political system and the parties and their policies. That I would certainly support - introducing the latter first, perhaps, and then evaluating its success before seeing whether it's worth rolling the vote out? Perhaps it could be tried on some elections first rather than immediately making it policy for all elections, such as with the referendum?
It's weird how people say that a 17 year-old should have a feel for the 'real world' before voting, when if they were just one year older, they would be eligible for a vote anyway. Which 18 year-old has significantly more real-world experience than a 17 year-old? Surely the voting age should be 21, if it was a matter of real world experience?
Yes, they should vote

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
It's weird how people say that a 17 year-old should have a feel for the 'real world' before voting, when if they were just one year older, they would be eligible for a vote anyway. Which 18 year-old has significantly more real-world experience than a 17 year-old? Surely the voting age should be 21, if it was a matter of real world experience?

For some it is a matter of weeks months and days older and they would be able to vote. If I was a year older most of my friend could have voted but not me because my birthday is after the election dates.
Well, you're old enough to buy a house and have a child, therefore it is my belief you should have some say in who governs the country. Having said this, I also think a basic teaching of the parliamentary system and the history and general ideas of the major parties should be taught.
I thought the same when I was that age. 21 now and missed the last GE by a couple of months. The problem is as demonstrated by the OP, you complained about the current government but you were 11 when they were elected. You have no awareness or memory of what the previous labour government were like.

Whereas myself. I was 17 when the Con-Lib coalition were elected. and 12-17 (i.e while I was at school) Under the previous one. So I have been able to compare the two.
The LibLabCon wants 16/17 year olds to vote because they have been recently subjected to heavy pro-EU propaganda.
Reply 29
Yes, they should be able to vote. There are decisions that will affect them in their immediate future (A-level reform) and in a few years (buying houses).

While you may say they are less mature, consider that adults are also able to make stupid decisions and not be well informed. I know far too many people who voted because their mum told them to, or they were the least ugly out of all of them, or because of any other silly thing they have heard.

16/17-year-olds have already started to make important decisions - they have all chosen their GCSE subjects and most will have also chosen A-Level subjects (if in year 12) and have started planning what they are doing after school. These decisions will have made them more mature already.

I am sure that many more 16/17-year-olds would be interested in politics and similar if given the chance to have their voice heard. It's a great time for them because they will have the time on their hands to do research and get informed.
The voting age should be raised, not lowered. But it won't be because the whole point is to get swing voters, that's why people have been brainwashed into thinking they have to vote in the first place.
I'm: 17; studying AS politics; and don't think 16/17 year olds should be allowed to vote.

Immaturity - There are a lot 16/17 year olds who don't take politics seriously and are unaware of politics. If we were allowed to vote at this year's election, I imagine there would be a lot of teenagers voting UKIP just for 'banter'. Many would base their vote on image/personality and media appearances rather than a party's manifesto, track record etc.

There is also the argument that this age group is inexperienced, but I feel this is somewhat flawed.

I think that the voting age should not be lowered even if one of its by-products is that it prevents the UK's most intelligent 16/17 year olds from voting.
Original post by holly1798
Those in the 16-17 year age range are going to be effected just as much by another 5 years of the Tory government, especially because of what has happened the past five years with student loans, tuition fee's, and the unemployment rates for young people. By the time the next election comes the 16/17 year old's that couldn't vote this election will be in their 20's and starting adult life and the way they start that really does depend on ho the next 5 years will be run.

So should 16/17 year's have been able to vote?
Should the age be lowered to 16?

I'm really interested on others peoples views because I am about to turn 17 and I was highly annoyed that considering how much of a mess the conservative's made the past 5 years that I will have to live with more mistakes on their half without even getting a say.

:smile:

In my opinion I think yes young people should be allowed to vote not only will it effect us now on things such as how the education system is run with things such as curriculum and exams, but on our future at uni with fees and finding a job after a degree.

It effects us so we should be represented in government and when new policies are created.
It personally really frustrated me I couldn't vote as I'm really interested in politics and think the government's decisions impact my life so I should have some say in which government is in power. I'm also not sure if an 18 year old has that much more life experience than a 16 year old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending