The Student Room Group

MPs set for a 10% payrise

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RFowler

Increasing MPs pay will not stop the sort of scandals we've seen, like cash for access. They will still do that sort of thing because they still like the extra money. They do that out of greed, not need.

There have been more studies conducted on this than not.

"It's much harder to bribe a millionaire than a pleb"

- Singapore.
Reply 21
Original post by Reluire
Ministers are MPs too if I'm not mistaken?

Yup, I meant for the Ministerial portfolio, rather than their work as an MP.

(also, not all are, but thats pendentary)
Reply 22
they should take the pay rise and get it over with as this has been going on for years and they will eventually get it anyway
Original post by Reluire
An independent commission determined they were worthy of the pay rise, so we have to trust that.

And the same thing happened with NHS pay but the government chose to ignore that. From what I've seen on the news a lot of high profile MPs are against this rise now, it's because they know they'll look like massive hypocrites accepting an above inflation pay rise when they've told the rest of us to tighten our belts.
Original post by SotonianOne
I think it's wrong.

Not that high MP wages are bad, they prevent corruption (Rifkind etc.), but not at this time.

These people are meant to best and most representative amongst us. If we have to babysit them and keep them away from corruption, clearly we have chosen wrong.
Reply 25
How can I become an MP?
Original post by moonkatt
And the same thing happened with NHS pay but the government chose to ignore that. From what I've seen on the news a lot of high profile MPs are against this rise now, it's because they know they'll look like massive hypocrites accepting an above inflation pay rise when they've told the rest of us to tighten our belts.

I'm not condoning that in any way or shape. If MPs deserve a pay rise, NHS workers certainly do. You're completely right about why the high profile MPs are against the rise; it's all about their reputation and how the media will judge them.
Original post by Xin Xang
These people are meant to best and most representative amongst us. If we have to babysit them and keep them away from corruption, clearly we have chosen wrong.

Who said they have to be the best?

A constituency can elect a rock if they want to. If they have chosen wrong they should get a recall.
Who said they have to be the best?

A constituency can elect a rock if they want to. If they have chosen wrong they should get a recall.

Why would someone purposefully not elect the best candidate. OK perhaps "best" is the wrong word. Instead lets say the most "representative" candidate.
Why would someone purposefully not elect the best candidate. OK perhaps "best" is the wrong word. Instead lets say the most "representative" candidate.

A false optimism. A false promise. A false self-judgement (you're poor but think you're middle class) etc etc.
Reply 30
Original post by stemmery
How can I become an MP?

Stand for election.
Original post by stemmery
How can I become an MP?

Pay 500 pounds to your local Electoral Commission to appear on the ballot sheet

or join a party and involve yourself & rise to stand as an MP when they elect you
A false optimism. A false promise. A false self-judgement (you're poor but think you're middle class) etc etc.

This is exactly why there should be critical thinking tests for those wanting to vote.

Too many stupid people.
This is exactly why there should be critical thinking tests for those wanting to vote.

Too many stupid people.

That goes against democracy, no? People's right to be stupid.

Not that I disagree with it, but the outburst from leftists saying this is elitist will be huge.

(by the way, voting prerequisites are normally a right-wing idea, so I'm surprised you mentioned it)
That goes against democracy, no? People's right to be stupid.

Not that I disagree with it, but the outburst from leftists saying this is elitist will be huge.

(by the way, voting prerequisites are normally a right-wing idea, so I'm surprised you mentioned it)

I definitely wouldn't want it to happen but I can see its benefits. I really want it to happen but I also don't because it is wrong. I am not really sure what wing I'm on for this topic. :redface:
Reply 35
I definitely wouldn't want it to happen but I can see its benefits. I really want it to happen but I also don't because it is wrong. I am not really sure what wing I'm on for this topic. :redface:

And you'd you happy to lose the vote because your score isn't high enough?
Original post by Quady
And you'd you happy to lose the vote because your score isn't high enough?

Of course.
Original post by JoshDawg
I think we should sort out our own problems before we start giving anyone in parliament a pay rise.

Jeez everyone....they get a rise in annual pay, but pensions fall, so the cost to the taxpayer is.........wait for it......zero, nothing, nada. Does nobody realise this?!?!
Original post by tggfootymad
Jeez everyone....they get a rise in annual pay, but pensions fall, so the cost to the taxpayer is.........wait for it......zero, nothing, nada. Does nobody realise this?!?!

No actually, no I did not.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
What makes it 'wrong'? Why is democracy 'right'? Why should the loudest voice trump the most reasonable?

As an idea there is nothing wrong with it. But practically it will lead to much greater inequality, with only the most educated (the richest) having a voice that favours themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending