The Student Room Group

MPs set for a 10% payrise

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SotonianOne
There have been more studies conducted on this than not.

"It's much harder more expensive to bribe a millionaire than a pleb"

- Singapore.

Rich People 'More Likely To Lie, Cheat And Break The Law'
Reply 41
MPs should get a pay rise, but the regulation surrounding how they 'make money on the side' also needs to be tightened up.

The only reason David Cameron and the other desperadoes are against this is because the majority of the public are against it.
Reply 42
Original post by holly1798
Apparently some of the senior MP's have promised to give that 10% to charities, at least that's what I head on the radio in my car this morning. It may only mean a small amount, but I would rather see other people get a 10% pay rise. Not MP's.

Quite a few MP's have said they want to give the 10% to charities to look nice not as their actual intention. The public sector should get a bigger rise than 1% and politicians should have a freeze on their pay till next election.

In this case you have just countered every argument pro public education and welfare spending.
Original post by SBKA
MPs should get a pay rise, but the regulation surrounding how they 'make money on the side' also needs to be tightened up.

The only reason David Cameron and the other desperadoes are against this is because the majority of the public are against it.

I'm not quite sure Cameron who is a multimillionaire cares about an extra 12k a year.
Original post by ETRC
Quite a few MP's have said they want to give the 10% to charities to look nice not as their actual intention. The public sector should get a bigger rise than 1%

why?
Reply 46
Original post by ETRC
Quite a few MP's have said they want to give the 10% to charities to look nice not as their actual intention. The public sector should get a bigger rise than 1% and politicians should have a freeze on their pay till next election.

MPs are public sector employees... :/

And the 1% comparison is a bit daft, MPs don't get progression pay.
Original post by ETRC

Best thing I have read on the situation!
In this case you have just countered every argument pro public education and welfare spending.

How so? Neither education nor receiving benefits makes people rich...
Reply 49
In this case you have just countered every argument pro public education

I have? :yay:

and welfare spending.

Wait, what, how?
Original post by scrotgrot
How so? Neither education nor receiving benefits makes people rich...

His post said that rich people are much more likely to commit crime than poor people.

Since most of arguments pro-public education are to do with lowering inequality and that poor people are more likely to commit crime than others therefore educate them, the above counters this.
His post said that rich people are much more likely to commit crime than poor people.

Since most of arguments pro-public education are to do with lowering inequality and that poor people are more likely to commit crime than others therefore educate them, the above counters this.

I'm not sure that's the main argument for public education, or at least it shouldn't be. ..

Ever considered that rich and more educated people just learn how to better get away with it?
Original post by scrotgrot
I'm not sure that's the main argument for public education, or at least it shouldn't be. ..

Ever considered that rich and more educated people just learn how to better get away with it?

Are you saying poor people are so unintelligent they don't know how to commit crime properly??
If you want the best people to go into politics, you have to pay them well...

E.g. If there were a really clever, talented person who could either go into the financial sector and earn >£500,000, why would he ever want to go into politics? If we want to attract the smartest people and have better calibre politicians next year, this is a good idea.

Comparing it to the 1% rise of the public sector is fair enough, but if we want better politicians, we need to raise their wages. We already have a good quality of public sector workers
Reply 54
Original post by a96clark
Comparing it to the 1% rise of the public sector is fair enough,

Not really, that 1% ignores the increment rise.
Reply 55
why?

why not make it 2%
1% seems like a joke even if it is a bonus on top- 1/100 does not look very good buy 1/50 seems like they doctors and teachers are valued

its just 1% is a weird number to have a pay rise
Reply 56
Original post by ETRC
why not make it 2%
1% seems like a joke even if it is a bonus on top- 1/100 does not look very good buy 1/50 seems like they doctors and teachers are valued

Since teachers/doctors get 4% rises after their progression pay rise, doesn't that make them seem even mroe valued?

Should the progression rise be reduced so they only get 2% overall?
Original post by a96clark
If you want the best people to go into politics, you have to pay them well...

E.g. If there were a really clever, talented person who could either go into the financial sector and earn >£500,000, why would he ever want to go into politics? If we want to attract the smartest people and have better calibre politicians next year, this is a good idea.

Comparing it to the 1% rise of the public sector is fair enough, but if we want better politicians, we need to raise their wages. We already have a good quality of public sector workers

met a few MPs this week.

1. They don't always tend to be smart (yes majority of them are millionaires, mostly small business owners, inherited wealth)
2. Public sector in general needs large reductions in pay, if we can pay dentists 100k per year, we can sure pay MPs a lot more

so it's all really relative. In the current over bloated public sector, MPs are underpaid. However conservatives are here to cut back the public sector, so rightly dave has gone against it.
Reply 58
Original post by Bill_Gates
2. Public sector in general needs large reductions in pay,

if we can pay dentists 100k per year,

If dentists didn't work for the public sector they'd earn less? :s-smilie:
Original post by ETRC
why not make it 2%

I'm asking why have a general 1% rise for all public sector workers.

Firstly public sector workers include MPs so you can't freeze them and give them a rise at the same time.

Secondly I don't see why the recently revealed NHS execs getting 150k a year should get a 1.5k/3k pay rise..

What needs to be urgently realised is that the country can't continue to give everyone in the public sector pay rises even if the economy is in recovery, quite contrary, it shouldn't! Private sector pay has been absolutely stagnant for the last 8 years and I don't see why the Public sector should compete with the private sector ...

Wages of public sector workers cost this country 200 billion. That's almost 30% of the UK Public spending .. yet we are on the brink of increasing wages for public sector workers faster than the market can keep up. That's not how a government should work.

I would give it at least another 2 or 3 years. That's the economic truth. Anything less is political meddling for votes. The country can't handle this.

Sure, it may seem like additional 400 pounds per worker is a good compensation, some would probably even want more, but 400 pounds per worker is at a cost of 2 400 000 000, that's 2.4 billion, and that's more than the increase in taxation from economic growth.

There simply is not an economic case for a public sector pay rise in 2015 (according to some, not even 2016). At most I would simply cap the pay rise to those earning below the second tax band of 40%, which is around 32k, anyone earning below it can get a 1 - 3% pay rise (around 500m) and anyone above that has to "suffer" for another year, but that's being generous and undoing the great work of achieving economic growth in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending