The Student Room Group

MPs set for a 10% payrise

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
No. It's dead wrong.

50 or 60 years ago, MPs had to have a second job because the salary was low, and that's because politicians should be in it for passion, and not wages. They should try having it increase at the average UK pay rise, greedy ßastards
Original post by SotonianOne
Yes

Spend money on houses so they cost less, there would be more money for pay rises

Spend money on pay rises so they can afford housing

Both are considerably costly and you can't handle the 'cost' of either. The only way to give people a pay rise is to decrease their pension and the only way to decrease the cost of housing is through rent control. Neither is desirable.

It should be easy enough (quite hard actually, but we've brought it on ourselves) to control the supply of housing in such a way that it is profitable. Houses are not costly to build in the present market as you can guarantee returns on them from rent and capital appreciation. Sure the very act of having a house-building programme will depress these returns but you can control this.

Rent controls obviously won't work as they are not a true supply-side solution. There seems to be this taboo on the right over the idea of just getting on and increasing the supply of homes, instead they try to make it look like they're solving the problem by actually pumping up the demand side - Help to Buy and the Help to Buy ISA.

Young professionals and students like ourselves have absolutely no business voting Conservative while they espouse such economically illiterate rubbish.

Read the article and the comments here, from that communist rag Forbes magazine.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfingleton/2014/02/02/in-worlds-best-run-economy-home-prices-just-keep-falling-because-thats-what-home-prices-are-supposed-to-do/

Of course, we can't become like Germany overnight, we've dug ourselves into a massive hole on this and made our economy so dependent on this pathetic rubbish, thanks to our collective delusion that you can create value while sitting on your self-satisfied middle-class arse, that trying to reverse it would cause a massive economic crash. But sooner or later some government is going to have to be brave enough to make moves towards dismantling our dysfunctional housing market.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Wellzi
No. It's dead wrong.

50 or 60 years ago, MPs had to have a second job because the salary was low, and that's because politicians should be in it for passion, and not wages. They should try having it increase at the average UK pay rise, greedy ßastards

Get real
Original post by Wellzi
No. It's dead wrong.

If MPs have a second job, their constituency business is in real danger of becoming not much more than a hobby. We need people who are not only bright but who also dedicate their lives to their constituency and Westminster. Believe me, no politician is in it for the money - they can all, with their intelligence and industry, be earning easily two or three times what they are now if they were to work in journalism, business etc.

If we don't pay MPs well, they either take second jobs which means they don't put enough effort into their political jobs, or they have to be rich enough not to need any more money. That's toxic. Politics cannot be even more of a rich man's hobby than it is now.
Original post by The Marshall
Of course not. They already have enough money in their bank accounts. Raising any more money would be absurd! Its the trigger for massive corruption on a large scale.

It's the opposite! If they earn more legally, wouldn't there be less of a need for corruption?

And they are not rich - remember these are people who could easily be earning multiples they earn now. They work all hours and essentially have two jobs - one concerning constituency matters and the other concerning Westminster. Of course they earn more than the average UK citizen, but they work much harder, are usually much more intelligent and educated, and live in a world where earning 70k is naff all.
Reply 85
Original post by ibzombie96
It's the opposite! If they earn more legally, wouldn't there be less of a need for corruption?

And they are not rich - remember these are people who could easily be earning multiples they earn now. They work all hours and essentially have two jobs - one concerning constituency matters and the other concerning Westminster. Of course they earn more than the average UK citizen, but they work much harder, are usually much more intelligent and educated, and live in a world where earning 70k is naff all.

Just to check, Miss Black could earn £140k+? Really?
How do they have two jobs? They have staff and Fridays to deal with consituency matters and have as much holiday time as teachers.
Reply 86
Original post by goape
Get real

Read "should"

If MPs have a second job, their constituency business is in real danger of becoming not much more than a hobby. We need people who are not only bright but who also dedicate their lives to their constituency and Westminster. Believe me, no politician is in it for the money - they can all, with their intelligence and industry, be earning easily two or three times what they are now if they were to work in journalism, business etc.

If we don't pay MPs well, they either take second jobs which means they don't put enough effort into their political jobs, or they have to be rich enough not to need any more money. That's toxic. Politics cannot be even more of a rich man's hobby than it is now.

I don't actually expect them to have another job, I'm just illustrating the point. Of course they should be moderately well paid, but being able to decide their own wages is corrupt in of itself.
Original post by Quady
Just to check, Miss Black could earn £140k+? Really?
How do they have two jobs? They have staff and Fridays to deal with consituency matters and have as much holiday time as teachers.

Oh come on - of course I wasn't referring to the youngest MP since the 1600s; I was referring to the majority of MPs.

Their holiday time is consumed by business. If you are on the front bench or on an important committee, there is a real limit to how much free time you have and to how helpful staff can be (especially as lots of constituency matters require the MP's face).
Original post by Wellzi
Read "should"

I don't actually expect them to have another job, I'm just illustrating the point. Of course they should be moderately well paid, but being able to decide their own wages is corrupt in of itself.

'50 or 60 years ago, MPs had to have a second job because the salary was low, and that's because politicians should be in it for passion, and not wages.'

That sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement for MPs' second jobs to me...

They don't decide their own wages, by the way.
Original post by stemmery
What to do you think? Apparently David Cameron is opposed to this... Hmm

nope.jpg
Reply 90
'50 or 60 years ago, MPs had to have a second job because the salary was low, and that's because politicians should be in it for passion, and not wages.'

That sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement for MPs' second jobs to me...

They don't decide their own wages, by the way.

No, they're just given the option, and the increases are ludicrous.
Original post by Wellzi
No, they're just given the option, and the increases are ludicrous.

How are the increases ridiculous? How much would you like to see them earn?
Reply 92
How are the increases ridiculous? How much would you like to see them earn?

No more than they currently do.
Surely £74k is a modest price to pay for the people who run our country, no matter how good or bad a job you think they're doing of it.
Reply 94
I don't see anything inherently wrong with increasing MP's pay in line with inflation, they like everyone else deserve a salary appropiate to their job and their job is a very demanding one. However it's undeniably annoying to the majoirty of people who they represent when pretty much the rest of the countries wages havent properly risen in line with inflation since the recession hit.
Their wage rise is probably fair on them, the problem is the pay freezes/cuts/minimum wage that everyone else is experiencing isn't as fair on us.
Original post by stemmery
What to do you think? Apparently David Cameron is opposed to this... Hmm

No, they don't.
Reply 96
Original post by Tronick
Surely £74k is a modest price to pay for the people who run our country, no matter how good or bad a job you think they're doing of it.

They don't.

Ministers do that.

MPs hold ministers to account.
Original post by Quady
They don't.

Ministers do that.

MPs hold ministers to account.

MPs vote on issues, and are thereby the true administration of a nation.
Reply 98
Original post by SotonianOne
MPs vote on issues, and are thereby the true administration of a nation.

I've voted on issues as part of the administrationn of the nation. I'm not part of the executive and neither are MPs.
HELL NO!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending