The Student Room Group

MPs set for a 10% payrise

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
OK then. There are already loads of filters in how our society works that suppress certain ideas getting anywhere.

Your "solution" of making MPs work for free means poor people are even less likely to become an MP. How is that a good thing? Sure you will get some rich privileged person like Tonny Benn but most of them are going to have their own rich privileged bias. Your idea just makes it even harder for progressive ideas to get talked about or having a more progressive representative Parliament even harder. It basically ensures that most MPs will be of the landed and severely wealthy classes that can live off of rentierism. Why do you think they will implement laws that harms the rentier classes?

IN an ideal world we wouldn't even have/need politicians. But we don't live in that ideal world.
Yes in an ideal world we wouldn't need them. But if you give them loads of money it doesn't encourage the best to become politicians but instead to makes people apply for the money and/or power, what we need is for people to run because they care. How else could you do that?
Original post by Aph
Yes in an ideal world we wouldn't need them. But if you give them loads of money it doesn't encourage the best to become politicians but instead to makes people apply for the money and/or power, what we need is for people to run because they care. How else could you do that?

Well we could vote for them. I'd vote for the likes of Caroline Lucas until the cows come home.

There are a lot of problems with how our system works. But we need people from less privileged backgrounds in parliament. You don't do that by making it financially impossible for them to do so. Whether you like ti or not human beings chase money to some degree, some more than others. Someone like David Cameron would be fine with as much lower pay from Parliament since he has other income an assets. He can afford to be paid less. The salary for being an MP means more for people who don;t have the same kind of background. That doesn't mean I support this 10% pay rise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 142
Well we could vote for them. I'd vote for the likes of Caroline Lucas until the cows come home.

There are a lot of problems with how our system works. But we need people from less privileged backgrounds in parliament. You don't do that by making it financially impossible for them to do so. Whether you like ti or not human beings chase money to some degree, some more than others. Someone like David Cameron would be fine with as much lower pay from Parliament since he has other income an assets. He can afford to be paid less. The salary for being an MP means more for people who don;t have the same kind of background. That doesn't mean I support this 10% pay rise.
but then we get people voting for parties (one reason I support the end of party politics and only letting indies run...)

Ok, that makes sense.
Original post by Aph
but then we get people voting for parties (one reason I support the end of party politics and only letting indies run...)

Ok, that makes sense.

The way the wip things works is insane if you ask me. If I was ever an MP I wouldn't be goign along with any of that crap.
Reply 144
The way the wip things works is insane if you ask me. If I was ever an MP I wouldn't be goign along with any of that crap.
Aye, you can't represent your constituents and your party at the same time.
They get bonuses just to keep their months shut and to become a slave to this corrupt system that we all think is 'democracy'.

Does killing a million people in iraq just for oil sound alright to you?
Does the UK supplying weapons to counties who are on their own human right abuses list sound alright to you?
Does homelessness doubling by 55% sound alright to you?
Does the big companies who avoid paying billions and billions of tax sound alright to you?
Does treating the disabled and poor people like scum sound alright to you?
Does destroying people homes then moving them far far away and then building new ones that ordinary people con't afford sound alright to you?
Does the top 1% owning nearly more then all of the earth wealth sound alright to you?

AND MUCH MUCH MORE.

If all of this sounds alright then you got a serious problem.
Original post by Aph
But paying them more means you get people doing it to get money not because they actually care.

Not really, if you're cleaver and dedicated enough to be an MP than you can probably already command twice what you'd get as an MP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by Cryptographic
Not really, if you're cleaver and dedicated enough to be an MP than you can probably already command twice what you'd get as an MP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly what I was saying, people who care more about helping people then making money are the people we want...

Agreed, same logic applies to unpaid internships.
The only people who can do them are those who can afford to work for free due to a wealth background.

I'm all for paying MPs a good wage.
Original post by Bornblue
Agreed, same logic applies to unpaid internships.
The only people who can do them are those who can afford to work for free due to a wealth background.

But to interfere would be anti aspiration

:dunce:
But to interfere would be anti aspiration

:dunce:

How silly of me.
Nothing screams aspiration like a further £12 billion cuts to the poorest in society.
It's becoming a dirty word and I utterly hate how it's now the buzzword in the Labour leadership election.
Original post by Bornblue
How silly of me.
Nothing screams aspiration like a further £12 billion cuts to the poorest in society.
It's becoming a dirty word and I utterly hate how it's now the buzzword in the Labour leadership election.

Replacing council tax with some kind of land value tax would take the burden off working people, give em more money to aspire with an so on.

You could force these unpaid internships to pay min wage, call it aspiration wage if you like.

It's just stupid buzz words that are devoid of all meaning.
Original post by Aph
Aye, you can't represent your constituents and your party at the same time.

You often can

Don't forget, you are elected as an MP on the back of your party's manifesto - when people vote for you, they vote for your party and its manifesto. It's disingenuous to then unbind yourself from that commitment - unless, of course, something is seriously not in your constituents' interests.
Original post by Aph
That's exactly what I was saying, people who care more about helping people then making money are the people we want...

Haha even with the rise, these people will still be doing it out of conviction rather than money.
Original post by TrewKazim
They get bonuses just to keep their months shut and to become a slave to this corrupt system that we all think is 'democracy'.

Does killing a million people in iraq just for oil sound alright to you?
Does the UK supplying weapons to counties who are on their own human right abuses list sound alright to you?
Does the big companies who avoid paying billions and billions of tax sound alright to you?
Does treating the disabled and poor people like scum sound alright to you?
Does destroying people homes then moving them far far away and then building new ones that ordinary people con't afford sound alright to you?
Does the top 1% owning nearly more then all of the earth wealth sound alright to you?

AND MUCH MUCH MORE.

If all of this sounds alright then you got a serious problem.

What a brilliant advert for anti-establishment insanity!
Original post by stemmery
What to do you think? Apparently David Cameron is opposed to this... Hmm

Frankly, I don't care. The cost of this is insignificant with how much money they deal with they work hard, I don't mind at all.
Original post by ibzombie96
What a brilliant advert for anti-establishment insanity!

It's not insanity..Just pure facts bro...Pure Facts.
Reply 157
Original post by Mad Vlad
Yeah but the difference is, those people struggling to make ends meet aren't running the ****ing country. In terms of the responsibility they have and the amount of time they spend at work, they're extremely badly paid. I earn more than an MP ffs and I work in IT security. :lolwut:

So? There are plenty of people who do amazing jobs and are poorly paid, nurses for instance. At the end of the day, a job's a job- so they should get pay rises at the same rate as everyone else, regardless of whether or not they're running the country.
Original post by TrewKazim

No, that does not sound alright to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending