The Student Room Group

5kg gains

All this time I hear people saying "good luck making gains at home" "you cant do anything with 5kg"

I tried did lots of bicep curls 4x12 and shoulder press with my 5kg dumbbells and my arms have become pumed, toned and a lot bigger.
So there. Proved all the doubters wrong :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aren't you all arms now though??
Reply 2
Original post by Asurat
Aren't you all arms now though??

Shoulder press works traps and chest and back as well :smile:

Tbh all I wanted was good tonnage and i've achieved that.
Reply 3
Original post by kumon
Shoulder press works traps and chest and back as well :smile:

Tbh all I wanted was good tonnage and i've achieved that.

Congrats man (don't get unbalanced though :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by Asurat
Congrats man (don't get unbalanced though :smile:)

Haha 5kg will take a very long time to become unbalanced :smile: But yes good comment, what are you doing for fitness?
5kg dumbells?

Tbh once you go past beginner gains that won't do **** all for you
Reply 6
Original post by kumon
Haha 5kg will take a very long time to become unbalanced :smile: But yes good comment, what are you doing for fitness?

Right now I'm only doing callisthenics, so I do pistol squats, handstand push ups, squat jumps and knee tuck jumps. I got into (and out of) the habit of doing 200 push ups a day (in sets of 4, then I press my arms over my head 4 times an keep going) and I got a really good pump going, but I've done nothing in the last 2 days.
I used to go to the gym but decided to stop as I have exams, I tried to lower the intensity but it was no fun so I just kill myself with more endurance less strength :tongue:. I should be going back soon and I like most of the normal barbell exercises, especially the rearloaded squat :smile:. I've lost a bit of weight but I'm really looking forward to getting back in the gym after my last exam!
Any reason why you don't go to the gym or was it a sort of preference thing?
Reply 7
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
5kg dumbells?

Tbh once you go past beginner gains that won't do **** all for you

You talk about beginers gains like they are nothing at all. Last time I checked girls like toned bodies and most guys like that asthetic look as well.
Curling a 5kg dumbell will not leave you with toned arms, shoulder pressing 5kg even less you. Your arms are small, not aesthetic unfortunately
Reply 9
Original post by Angry cucumber
Curling a 5kg dumbell will not leave you with toned arms, shoulder pressing 5kg even less you. Your arms are small, not aesthetic unfortunately

No thats a lie. It depends on how much you eat. I know a black guy thats 6ft 4 eats a lot and only lifts 5kg as well and his arms are big as well.
Original post by kumon
No thats a lie. It depends on how much you eat. I know a black guy thats 6ft 4 eats a lot and only lifts 5kg as well and his arms are big as well.

Hate to break it to you. He does more than play with a 5kg dumbell
Reply 11
Original post by Angry cucumber
Hate to break it to you. He does more than play with a 5kg dumbell

He does now, but before he didn't and I lived with him for a year so I know.
Reply 12
Original post by Asurat
Right now I'm only doing callisthenics, so I do pistol squats, handstand push ups, squat jumps and knee tuck jumps. I got into (and out of) the habit of doing 200 push ups a day (in sets of 4, then I press my arms over my head 4 times an keep going) and I got a really good pump going, but I've done nothing in the last 2 days.
I used to go to the gym but decided to stop as I have exams, I tried to lower the intensity but it was no fun so I just kill myself with more endurance less strength :tongue:. I should be going back soon and I like most of the normal barbell exercises, especially the rearloaded squat :smile:. I've lost a bit of weight but I'm really looking forward to getting back in the gym after my last exam!
Any reason why you don't go to the gym or was it a sort of preference thing?

The gym is filled with too many meatheads and it costs a lot of money, which i'd spend elsewhere :biggrin: Calesthenics are good keep it up.
Cool OP, good for you.

Got any before/after pics?
Just in-case anyone actually decides doing what OP did in hope to get 'bigger' and think that it will work - it wont work. 5kg wont do much, if anything at all.
Reply 15
5KG dumbells on shoulder press won't do **** OP, sorry.

5KG curls won't do much either, you'd be better off doing press ups for arm gains lol
Reply 16
Original post by e aí rapaz
Cool OP, good for you.

Got any before/after pics?

Nope sorry. Even if I did I wouldn't upload them on tsr. Too many weridoes.

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Just in-case anyone actually decides doing what OP did in hope to get 'bigger' and think that it will work - it wont work. 5kg wont do much, if anything at all.

How can you say that, it works. And it depends on how big your arms already are, based on genetics and HOW MUCH YOU EAT.

How much do you lift?

Original post by zKlown
5KG dumbells on shoulder press won't do **** OP, sorry.

5KG curls won't do much either, you'd be better off doing press ups for arm gains lol

Thats a lie, my traps are bigger and my arms are pumped as hell, the bitches love it.
Sounds like a post-workout pump more than anything. Yeah I can look like Arnold after two sets of pushups, not impressive otherwise.
Original post by kumon

How can you say that, it works. And it depends on how big your arms already are, based on genetics and HOW MUCH YOU EAT.

How much do you lift?

Can't be asked arguing with you. You don't know what you're talking about. Go do some research
Reply 19
lmao 5kg dumbbells will add mass if you're a 50kg male with no muscle mass at all and eating correctly, though the gains will come to a halt extremely fast.

It doesn't matter if you lift 5kg dumbbells and eat 5000 calories a day you wont get muscle mass you will get fat. Your muscle fibres will not break down with 5kg dumbbells to achieve any gain.

Quick Reply

Latest