The Student Room Group

Our kids refused time off school during term time - please advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cauley1997
Hey, i don't understand why you would book two weeks knowing one of them were term time. What's wrong with a one week holiday? i do understand that you save a bit more but 5 days away from school could put your kids back weeks.

I had 3 weeks off when I was in secondary, made no real difference. Took text books away with us and some extra homework.
I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy with your position, OP. You obviously knew the school's policy but went ahead and booked the holiday anyway before they'd given permission. (Obviously a phone call to a receptionist isn't sufficient to get that!) You took a gamble and lost. If you go ahead now and claim a sudden illness or family funeral for the period in question you'll raise suspicions further. Why should you get special treatment when the other kids will be in school?

Next time you have several options - buy cancellation insurance, plan further ahead, get permission first, or travel during the long holidays.
Hey, i don't understand why you would book two weeks knowing one of them were term time. What's wrong with a one week holiday? i do understand that you save a bit more but 5 days away from school could put your kids back weeks.

Agreed. Teachers don't have time (and nor should they) to help teach the children catch up who missed the work because they were on holiday.
Original post by Reue
I had 3 weeks off when I was in secondary, made no real difference. Took text books away with us and some extra homework.

if all children can learn from textbooks and by doing extra homework then why would any go to school? just because your 3 weeks away from class had little affect on you doesn't mean it'll be the same for your children.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reue
I consider family holidays to be an important part of a child's development. Some families are completely unable to afford the extortionate cost during the school holidays and so must go in term time.

There is no MUST about it - there are cheap options during school holidays - that's what teachers have to do!
if all children can learn from textbooks and by doing extra homework then why would any go to school? just because your 3 weeks away from class had little affect on you doesn't mean it'll be the same for your children.

Indeed. I had 3 weeks off ill twice and despite my parents asking, I was never sent any work home. (I was getting rather bored too!) I missed a lot of work and had to catch up in my own time, which isn't that easy.
Original post by Cll_ws
A two week trip to India will be a far more valuable experience for your kids than those 5 days of school. Screw them.

The OP hasn't said what they'll be doing in India. They could be sitting on a beach/ by the pool for all we (and the school) know. An expensive foreign holiday doesn't mean a worthwhile educational experience. A history or geography tour around parts of the UK is much more valuable than a beach holiday on the other side of the world.
Reply 27
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The OP hasn't said what they'll be doing in India. They could be sitting on a beach/ by the pool for all we (and the school) know. An expensive foreign holiday doesn't mean a worthwhile educational experience. A history or geography tour around parts of the UK is much more valuable than a beach holiday on the other side of the world.

Sure, I won't argue with that. But I would still argue that taking such a trip would be more worthwhile to a child's development in the long run. I'd have loved to have had an opportunity like that when I was younger.

If my own time in school is anything to go by, over a period of 5 days, the odd useful Maths, Science or English lesson will have been sandwiched between a poorly organised PE lesson, an RE or IT lesson surpervised by whichever random member of staff was free at the time, or a Drama lesson where we watched The Day After Tomorrow for like the fifth time.

If he sits down with his kids one night after they get back, they could probably breeze through 5 days of schoolwork in one night. On top of handing in a kick-ass Geography case-study on India!
This is an issue for holiday companies; they rip off hard working families in the summer who now mostly cannot afford to book holidays during what is known as 'peak time'. Part of a child's growing up is about family life, spending quality time together and exploring different cultures. Plus, as raised in this thread, it's worth just paying the fine which will be minuscule compared to the thousands you'd lose on this holiday.
Reply 29
if all children can learn from textbooks and by doing extra homework then why would any go to school?.

Because not all parents want to home school, however it is an option and evidence suggests it's just as effective.
Reply 30
Original post by Muttley79
There is no MUST about it - there are cheap options during school holidays - that's what teachers have to do!

I'll spare no sympathy for the teachers who have self inflicted it upon themselves with their career choices :rolleyes:
Original post by Reue
I'll spare no sympathy for the teachers who have self inflicted it upon themselves with their career choices :rolleyes:

But you expect them to sympathise with you?!

There are plenty of cheap holidays and no excuse for taking children out of school.
Reply 32
But you expect them to sympathise with you?!

I don't want any sympathy :s Where have I asked for it?
Original post by Reue
I don't want any sympathy :s Where have I asked for it?

You implied it was your right to give children a family holiday - indeed it is and there are 13 weeks a year for it.

There is no excuse for taking children out of school for a holiday.
Reply 34
You implied it was your right to give children a family holiday - indeed it is and there are 13 weeks a year for it.

There is no excuse for taking children out of school for a holiday.

I implied it was my right to take children out of school so long as you're educating them yourself; as indeed is the law in the UK relating to home schooling. I don't understand why this can't be applied to shorter timescales like a few week holiday.
Original post by Reue
I implied it was my right to take children out of school so long as you're educating them yourself; as indeed is the law in the UK relating to home schooling. I don't understand why this can't be applied to shorter timescales like a few week holiday.

Elective Home Education is full-time and is fine.

What is not allowed is holidays in term-time and it's because it's been abused in the past and proven to affect attainment. Every parent expects you to set work for the chiild and then, of course, they don't actually do it. When the children return they are behind and we're expected to give up time to catch them up. When we ask then to talk about the holiday or bring in photos to enrich everyone then there is never anything -
Elective Home Education is full-time and is fine.

What is not allowed is holidays in term-time and it's because it's been abused in the past and proven to affect attainment. Every parent expects you to set work for the chiild and then, of course, they don't actually do it. When the children return they are behind and we're expected to give up time to catch them up. When we ask then to talk about the holiday or bring in photos to enrich everyone then there is never anything -

It won't let me rep you atm but just know its on its way!
Reply 37
Every parent expects you to set work for the chiild and then, of course, they don't actually do it. When the children return they are behind and we're expected to give up time to catch them up. When we ask then to talk about the holiday or bring in photos to enrich everyone then there is never anything -

Mine certainly didn't expect any additional help on return, so no; not EVERY parent is the same and that's exactly why the decision was left to the head teacher but with far more leinancy than allowed today.

Regardless; my thoughts remain that a decent family holiday is more beneficial to the child's development than the week they'd miss at school. I struggle to believe that missing a week of school has any measureable effect in 99% of cases.
This is why you don't comply to the system cus you'l just get ****ed. You shouldn't have informed the school you were going on holiday. Just phone in sick next time.
Original post by Reue
Mine certainly didn't expect any additional help on return, so no; not EVERY parent is the same and that's exactly why the decision was left to the head teacher but with far more leinancy than allowed today.

Regardless; my thoughts remain that a decent family holiday is more beneficial to the child's development than the week they'd miss at school. I struggle to believe that missing a week of school has any measureable effect in 99% of cases.

You can have a 'decent family holiday' in the school holidays ... the attitude 'they won't miss anything' is crazy as some ideas only appear once in the curriculum. I missed a week for uni interviews and they covered perms and combs - I've never liked that topic since and it was only when I started teaching it that I understood it properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending