The Student Room Group

Starting university under 18

Uni starts for me on 16th September which is 2 days before I turn 17, so I'm basically 17 for my whole first year. I've been with older people my whole life, and frankly find myself to be at least as mature, if not more, than the 17/18 year olds I know as a result so I don't care about the whole fitting in with the older kids aspect, but in terms of everything else like going out etc. I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm not scared or anything, but just more curious.

Can people that have been (or know people that have been) in a similar situation share their experiences? I'll be in London if that makes much of a difference, but I'm interested in what it's been like for people in other places too.

Scroll to see replies

So in general you're going to find it difficult to go out to clubs because they always ask for ID, you might be able to get in at the student union because they usually only ask for your student ID.

In terms of pubs, bars and buying alcohol from shops it depends how old you look and where you go, but in general if you look mid 20s or can grow a decent beard you should be able to get away without having ID. If not you'll have to be more careful with your choice of places to go or get someone to buy for you.

You may also want to consult local real estate agents about how to handle student housing in later years as I know of at least one person who lost a room as the contract was void because he was underage when he signed it.
UK laws are so f***ing strict. They ID just about anyone, a 25 year old mate that looks 30, doesn't matter. Depends of course, sometimes let you with no check if the night's not very busy, but overall I'd say good luck getting in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there,

I've weeded out discussion of Fake IDs as this is not permitted on TSR.

Feel free to continue the discussion, but I'd urge you to look at alternative methods to trying to get into clubs and pubs/drinking underage.

Cheers,

RF
In my second year I was a mentor to a first year 17 year old. While she couldn't go out drinking with older students, she still joined societies and made friends with her course and flat mates. It's not like you won't have any chance to be social. If you want to join in with the drinking, join in with pre-drinks. Of course, if you don't just want to drink other people's stuff, you can give them money to buy stuff for you and then join in with pre-drinks. I personally wouldn't argue that you can still try and get into clubs and stuff considering how much they ID people.*

*For all and any that get arse-y about being ID'd despite being over the legal age requirement, please stop complaining. They are just doing their job. Most places have an age limit they need to ID for, such as 25. If it is their opinion that you look younger than this, they will ask for your ID. It doesn't matter what you start shouting about, or how old you really are. Perhaps they've even had a lapse in judgement. Either way, there's never any real need to be difficult about showing your ID if you're of legal age.
Original post by sliceofcake
In my second year I was a mentor to a first year 17 year old. While she couldn't go out drinking with older students, she still joined societies and made friends with her course and flat mates. It's not like you won't have any chance to be social. If you want to join in with the drinking, join in with pre-drinks. Of course, if you don't just want to drink other people's stuff, you can give them money to buy stuff for you and then join in with pre-drinks. I personally wouldn't argue that you can still try and get into clubs and stuff considering how much they ID people.*

Looks like a year living with pre-drinks/the dodgy corner store/the lenient bouncer for the next year then

Original post by sliceofcake
*For all and any that get arse-y about being ID'd despite being over the legal age requirement, please stop complaining. They are just doing their job. Most places have an age limit they need to ID for, such as 25. If it is their opinion that you look younger than this, they will ask for your ID. It doesn't matter what you start shouting about, or how old you really are. Perhaps they've even had a lapse in judgement. Either way, there's never any real need to be difficult about showing your ID if you're of legal age.

This is so true, I never got what the big deal about it was. You get asked for ID? Show them, problem solved.
I would not recommend going to uni this here I mean I get it I really do yo have done very well to get the option to go to uni so young but as you are only 16 I would say hold of for a year until you ate 18 then go most UK uni's (excluding Scotland) don't really cater for people under 18 you are at the momen in quite an enviable posation go and on a gap year many camp America or somthing and then go to uni you have the time to do it. Most of the frsherscweekbevent'scare based around clubbing so you really will need to be 18 to get the full uni expirence good luck
Original post by New- Emperor
I would not recommend going to uni this here I mean I get it I really do yo have done very well to get the option to go to uni so young but as you are only 16 I would say hold of for a year until you ate 18 then go most UK uni's (excluding Scotland) don't really cater for people under 18 you are at the momen in quite an enviable posation go and on a gap year many camp America or somthing and then go to uni you have the time to do it. Most of the frsherscweekbevent'scare based around clubbing so you really will need to be 18 to get the full uni expirence good luck

Even if I wanted to, it's far too late to change my mind about that. I did want to take a gap year, but in the end decided that even on a gap year would have similar problems in terms of the going out aspect because at the end of the day I'd still be 17 for the whole year anyway. Seeing as the only real issue with being under 18 that I've been made aware of is clubbing etc, I just think it's not worth delaying a full year just because it'll be easier for me to drink, and that I'd be better finishing uni earlier and then doing whatever I want to do at that stage - whether it's taking a gap year then, Masters where I'll have freshers week again anyway, job, or a combination of all.
Original post by localblackguy
Even if I wanted to, it's far too late to change my mind about that. I did want to take a gap year, but in the end decided that even on a gap year would have similar problems in terms of the going out aspect because at the end of the day I'd still be 17 for the whole year anyway. Seeing as the only real issue with being under 18 that I've been made aware of is clubbing etc, I just think it's not worth delaying a full year just because it'll be easier for me to drink, and that I'd be better finishing uni earlier and then doing whatever I want to do at that stage - whether it's taking a gap year then, Masters where I'll have freshers week again anyway, job, or a combination of all.

I would seriously have a rethink - you will find it hard. All those I know (I'm a teacher) that have been a year younger have regretted going and you are ever younger than this.

It's not just drinking - you will find it hard to fit in - other students will be at least two years older than you. Get some life experience first ...
Original post by Muttley79
I would seriously have a rethink - you will find it hard. All those I know (I'm a teacher) that have been a year younger have regretted going and you are ever younger than this.

It's not just drinking - you will find it hard to fit in - other students will be at least two years older than you. Get some life experience first ...

The thing is that I've been with older people my whole life. I've always been the youngest in my class because I skipped Year 1 and also Year 10 (but Year 10 due to how to the Irish system works in comparison to the school I went to in Paris, complicated to explain). A large majority of my classmates and friends that aren't in uni yet are 18-19 as it is, and the ones that are in uni are 19-20 so being 17 when I start is really not an issue for me in terms of that. I guess time will tell if I'm right or not though
The thing is that I've been with older people my whole life. I've always been the youngest in my class because I skipped Year 1 and also Year 10 (but Year 10 due to how to the Irish system works in comparison to the school I went to in Paris, complicated to explain). A large majority of my classmates and friends that aren't in uni yet are 18-19 as it is, and the ones that are in uni are 19-20 so being 17 when I start is really not an issue for me in terms of that. I guess time will tell if I'm right or not though

So had the students I know of ... it's different at uni. Lecturers are not like teachers - I strongly suggest you leave it a year. Learn to drive and get some other non-school experience - frankly London is the worse place you could have chosen as you will find it a massive culture shock.
(edited 8 years ago)
So had the students I know of ... it's different at uni. Lecturers are not like teachers - I strongly suggest you leave it a year. Learn to drive and get some other non-school experience - frankly London is the worse place you could have chosen as you will find it a massive culture shock.

I'm aware, I don't expect them to be like teachers nor am I expecting any special treatment or any help with studying independently (already I did the IB so that much I'm good for). I've considered this time and time again before applying, went to London with two friends to visit both the the unis and friends currently in their 1st/2nd year who I discussed this at length with, already talked with the head of the department about the whole U18 thing and still don't see any major reason (aside from the drinking etc.) to wait another year. Could you be more specific about why you think i should leave it for a year though?

As for culture shock, I've been to London both for fun and to visit family quite a lot times (it's an 1h10 mins away from Dublin) so I don't think culture shock will come into play.
I'm aware, I don't expect them to be like teachers nor am I expecting any special treatment or any help with studying independently (already I did the IB so that much I'm good for). I've considered this time and time again before applying, went to London with two friends to visit both the the unis and friends currently in their 1st/2nd year who I discussed this at length with, already talked with the head of the department about the whole U18 thing and still don't see any major reason (aside from the drinking etc.) to wait another year. Could you be more specific about why you think i should leave it for a year though?

As for culture shock, I've been to London both for fun and to visit family quite a lot times (it's an 1h10 mins away from Dublin) so I don't think culture shock will come into play.

All I can do is say what ex-students have told me. They had all been accelerated at school without an issue but uni was different - they just did not fit in. Can the uni put you in touch with people who have successfully gone two years early? I doubt it ...

Living in London is not the same as visiting friends there ...
All I can do is say what ex-students have told me. They had all been accelerated at school without an issue but uni was different - they just did not fit in. Can the uni put you in touch with people who have successfully gone two years early? I doubt it ...

Which is? I get that they "just did not fit in" but, aside from the fact that that could occur to anyone going to uni regardless of age, that could be for any number of reasons..

Living in London is not the same as visiting friends there ...

Well of course, but you could replace London with any village/town/city/country/continent in the world and that would apply. I'm not saying it'll be the same, but I also doubt I'll have culture shock considering it won't all be completely unfamiliar to me.

I'm not trying to be dismissive or anything, these could both be perfectly valid points but they don't really do anything for me unless I have more details.
Which is? I get that they "just did not fit in" but, aside from the fact that that could occur to anyone going to uni regardless of age, that could be for any number of reasons..

Well of course, but you could replace London with any village/town/city/country/continent in the world and that would apply. I'm not saying it'll be the same, but I also doubt I'll have culture shock considering it won't all be completely unfamiliar to me.

I'm not trying to be dismissive or anything, these could both be perfectly valid points but they don't really do anything for me unless I have more details.

Ask the uni to tell you about other students that have successfully started uni two years early - I bet they can't.

Why did you start his thread if you won't listen to advice?
(edited 8 years ago)
As the uni to tell you about other students that have successfully started uni two years early - I bet they can't.

Why did you start his thread if you won't listen to advice?

If I ask a uni to tell me about other students that started at 17, I doubt I won't get an answer. Like I said, I skipped a second time due to differences in how the Irish system worked so I'm technically only one year early.

Firstly I created this thread for advice specific to being under 18. Your advice was "Wait because you won't fit in with older people", which I responded to by saying "I don't think it'll be much of an issue because of always being with older people" because then following your advice, I have no reason (except drinking) to wait. You then responded "my ex-students were in a similar situation but didn't fit in, and also you'll get culture shock" but didn't expand on either point - even though not fitting in and culture shock are things that are a possibility for essentially any other fresher not from London. So, as I've said already, I'm not trying to be dismissive but unless you can tell me more about what your ex-students have said so I can see why it didn't work out well for them in particular, this doesn't really do anything for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
If I ask a uni to tell me about other students that started at 17, I doubt I won't get an answer. Like I said, I skipped a second time due to differences in how the Irish system worked so I'm technically only one year early.

Firstly I created this thread for advice specific to being under 18. Your advice was "Wait because you won't fit in with older people", which I responded to by saying "I don't think it'll be much of an issue because of always being with older people" because then following your advice, I have no reason (except drinking) to wait. You then responded "my ex-students were in a similar situation but didn't fit in, and also you'll get culture shock" but didn't expand on either point - even though not fitting in and culture shock are things that are a possibility for essentially any other fresher not from London. So, as I've said already, I'm not trying to be dismissive but unless you can tell me more about what your ex-students have said so I can see why it didn't work out well for them in particular, this doesn't really do anything for me.

You are entitled to ask if students have successfully started uni two years early which is what you are - only nearly 17 rather than nearly 19. If they can't tell you of any (no details of name etc needed ) then I would doubt anyone has.

Moving from a different country is not the same as moving within a country ...

All I can say is they did not settle without the support from friends as they were younger - when you are a year older you will have more life experience. Nothing you have said convinces me you have really thought about it.
You are entitled to ask if students have successfully started uni two years early which is what you are - only nearly 17 rather than nearly 19. If they can't tell you of any (no details of name etc needed ) then I would doubt anyone has.

Moving from a different country is not the same as moving within a country ...

All I can say is they did not settle without the support from friends as they were younger - when you are a year older you will have more life experience. Nothing you have said convinces me you have really thought about it.

I will do so, but frankly I don't get your assumption that starting uni young is essentially destined for failure considering people have started even younger than 17 and still made it through their degrees..

International fresher is what I meant but yes, this is common sense.

If you don't think over a year of thought is enough, and that life experience is completely quantified by the mere difference of months between a 17 year and 18 year old - not saying there's no difference, I'd be foolish to say so - and not what one has done and experienced through those years, then I guess that's your opinion.

Regardless, I'll still take what you said into account so thanks for replying.
Original post by New- Emperor

I agree with this, bit too young
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes you won't get to go clubbing but if you ve always been with people older than you I can't see any reason why you won't find a way round the unable to drink thing , join some societies to meet people or sports teams if that's your thing :smile: as long as your mature and have got a good work ethic and can cook/ clean and the like you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending