The Student Room Group

Feel depressed and disappointed in myself for graduating with a LOW 2.1..

I'm in my final year at a Russell Group university as well as the first person in my family to go university! Even though I have a Graduate job lined up with a Big4 Accountancy Firm, I'm disappointed in myself for just achieving 60.04% in my degree. I feel as though I didn't work as hard as I should have and became very complacent as I had a job etc. Though I'm worried this low 2.1 will become a hinderence in the future to prospective employers etc as technically it's not really a strong 2.1 isit?

Just a little down atm tbh..
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my final year at a Russell Group university as well as the first person in my family to go university! Even though I have a Graduate job lined up with a Big4 Accountancy Firm, I'm disappointed in myself for just achieving 60.04% in my degree. I feel as though I didn't work as hard as I should have and became very complacent as I had a job etc. Though I'm worried this low 2.1 will become a hinderence in the future to prospective employers etc as technically it's not really a strong 2.1 isit?

Unless an employer asked for your raw percentage there's no way they ll find out so i wouldnt worry:smile:
You got a 2:1. Congratulations. Now man up, stop worrying, and go do well in your new job. Welcome to the real world, where no one cares what you did at uni. Good luck!
Reply 3
Low 2:1 or a high 2:1 - they're both the same to your future employers - I'm sure their not going to ask for the actual percentage. Congrats dude a 2:1 is enough to secure top jobs in the future
Bloody hell... if only I was so lucky. I haven't graduated yet. But I'd consider myself lucky if I got any 2:1 and had a grad job already lined up for me. Congrats! I wish you all the best.
Original post by Anonymous

Come on mate. Even you must see that you are incredibly lucky to have achieved 60.4% and not 59.4%. If I were you I would be feeling very relieved and proud that I achieved a 2:1 and not a 2:2.
The focus on whether people achieve a high 2:1 or a low 2:1 is primarily pushed as a factor by certain fields/ university departments (which you don't really have to worry about as you have a good job). That and bitter people who worked super hard and just missed out on a first and now have to deal with the fact that they have the same degree on their CV as their friends who dossed about for 3 years, smoking weed and scraped the classification with minimal effort.
Nobody cares about your qualification is high or low, they care about the qualification.

So stfu, basically.
i would be depressed about going into a career where you work your arse off to create what is ultimately very little value to wider society
Reply 8
Ease up, a 2i is a 2i. Look to the future..
Be a little more positive.. You were very close to having a high 2:ii; I know which one I'd rather have!
You got a 2:1, nothing else matters! Be pleased about that! You would get to say that is you got 60 or 68 so it doesn't really make a difference. Giving exact numbers isn't a common thing so I wouldn't worry. You've got a job lined up anyway. It's all good.
Reply 11
Original post by Foo.mp3
This should make you feel better: I went to a distinctly average uni where I picked up academic achievement awards and got a first-class degree in Economics. I have no chance of securing a grad job, nor any serious job/career in the offing, and will spend the rest of my life battling chronic illness, and probably living in poverty, claiming benefits, and being held in contempt by the rest of society, through no fault of my own :smile:

Why do you think you have no fault? Surely there isn't a cosmic conspiration against you getting a job. Economics is a good degree.
You have what most accounting grads won't, wtf are you moaning about :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending