The Student Room Group

Bad AS performance - PLEASE HELP! :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soffie
If its any consolation, you will probably get more marks than you think because if you look at mark schemes you get a lot of method marks. You may only lose one or two for a question if your final answer is wrong.
Concerning your wanting an A*, I find it a little hard to believe that you would need such a high grade in maths for ALL universities. Surely there are many Russell group unis that would ask for, perhaps, an A in maths? And usually if you do further maths and apply for A*AA requirement, they often say an A in further maths overall is enough. ( i applied for engineering and they want A*AA the A* being in physics or maths, but if you do further you only need AAA).

Really? I think for Economics, you HAVE to get an A* in Maths no matter what, and most Economics applicants also do further maths so :/

There are a few universities that only ask for AAA but I don't particularly want to go there as it's not a very reputable plave for Economics.
Original post by Soffie
If its any consolation, you will probably get more marks than you think because if you look at mark schemes you get a lot of method marks. You may only lose one or two for a question if your final answer is wrong.
Concerning your wanting an A*, I find it a little hard to believe that you would need such a high grade in maths for ALL universities. Surely there are many Russell group unis that would ask for, perhaps, an A in maths? And usually if you do further maths and apply for A*AA requirement, they often say an A in further maths overall is enough. ( i applied for engineering and they want A*AA the A* being in physics or maths, but if you do further you only need AAA).

What kind of method marks will I get? For example, in today's exam and also in the C3 exam, I differentiated wrongly in the start, but everything else is correct. However, as I differentiated wrongly at the start, everything else is wrong too - I'm not sure if I'll get any marks for differentiating wrongly for a differentiation question..? :frown:
Anonymous, there's nothing you can do now.

Wait until results day or, find the mark schemes provided by the exam board when they come out.

You have to move on , it'll be better for you in the long run. Stay strong my friend ( easier said than done, but I can help you:smile: !
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much - that has given me hope :smile:

What are you planning on studying at university? Did you still apply to Cambridge this year? And also, did you get an A in AS Maths or A2?

I'm glad :smile:

Engineering (mechanical/general).

I didn't apply for Cambridge this year as I got AABB with B's in further maths and physics. I was SO disheartened and annoyed at myself and when I got my exam scripts back they were full of stupid mistakes! I thought I didn't have a chance getting into Cambridge this year and I knew applying would just make matters worse. But I got 3 offers from top unis who ask for A*AA - Bath, Nottingham and Loughborough (which is promising for you) and the rest I applied for AAA as backup. Still got 5/5 offers on very competitive courses!

Only reapplying this year to Cambridge if I get A*A*A or 3 A*s, otherwise I will just stick with my deferred entry to Bath :smile: so win win really!

(It was an A in AS maths)
Original post by drs5
If you practiced so many past papers, shouldn't you have identified this problem and dealt with it? Now all you can do is improve. Identify ALL of your problems. Do you make careless mistakes? Manage your time during the exam to allow for revision. This will help eliminate careless mistakes. Do you get stresses? Google a solution :P . Just solve all of your problems and don't let this bitter experience happen without milking it of its lessons. By that I mean that you didn't do all of these mistakes for nothing. Learn how to avoid these mistakes.Stop crying and cheer up! What's cool about life is that it ain't over if something like this happens! There are many other options! Cheer up! Smile right now! Did you do it? You better ..... Set a plan for this summer. Enjoy it, but at the same time, improve yourself so that you can nail the retake! And I reiterate : Identify all of your problems and find a solution. Only like this can you obtain the results you want :biggrin:

Thank you very much - I will try to treat this as a learning curve. However, it's hard to figure out what I don't know, if the question hasn't come up in the last 17 past papers... I never realised that I didn't know how to integrate 3^x as it has never come up before, so it just didn't ever cross my mind :frown:
I'm not sure if you've correctly read my first post - I am taking AS and A2 Maths this year, meaning that I needed an A* this year :/

You've probably done better than you think you have - a load of people in my year thought they had done really badly in maths and came out with much better grades than they thought, partly due to grade boundaries being lowered when everyone did badly. And if you have done as bad as you think you have, you can always resit next year.

Secondly, there are a lot of great universities that you don't need an A* to do economics. Lancaster University is one example. It's not Russell group if that affects your decision, but it is consistently in the top 10/sometimes just outside the top 10 universities in the country, and it's only asking AAB for economics. The only requirements as far as I can tell are Bs in GCSE maths and English language. Plus, most courses at Lancaster accept general studies. It's a really nice university too, and has amazing accommodation.

I apologise for this basically turning into a promotion post for Lancaster uni but it's just one example of the great universities out there that you don't need an A* in maths to get. Good luck with everything!
Reply 26
Thank you very much - I will try to treat this as a learning curve. However, it's hard to figure out what I don't know, if the question hasn't come up in the last 17 past papers... I never realised that I didn't know how to integrate 3^x as it has never come up before, so it just didn't ever cross my mind :frown:

Did you check the specification/syllabus ?
That should've helped you.
Hi,

I was originally very set on taking Economics at university (at Cambridge or LSE etc) but after my exams, I don't think I'll stand a chance.

My Economics exam and my Biology exam both didn't go that well - I was expecting to do better.

However, the main issue is my Maths exams. As I am taking further maths, I am taking C1-C4 S1 M1 this year, which is all the modules including the A2 ones. I really need an A* in Maths to do Economics at any university.

However, after doing 17 past paper for C3 and C4 EACH, both exams went terribly. I just had my C4 exam, hoping that I would get a high enough mark to average my C3 mark to 90UMS, but the exam went awfully - I couldn't stop crying for hours. It's not even that I didn't work hard - I did almost all the textbook questions, I did 15-20 past papers for each Maths module, however THIS happens. I usually get over 90UMS in past papers however I just don't understand how the actual exam has gone so badly. I've checked with the model answers, and I know that I've gotten questions wrong.

Please help me, I feel like I can't even go to school tomorrow because I'm so upset - I haven't got good enough grades to go to university, even after so much hard work. I really just don't know what to do. I can't stop crying in bed because all my dreams and hard work have been crushed to pieces. :frown:

Thank you for reading my very long post...

Trust me there is bound to be people who revised less than you and were performed worse than you. The grade boundaries should reflect this. Don't limit your choice of uni there are other great ones out there. ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! you can resit the exams next year
Hope this helps
Original post by Oraeng
I'm glad :smile:

Engineering (mechanical/general).

I didn't apply for Cambridge this year as I got AABB with B's in further maths and physics. I was SO disheartened and annoyed at myself and when I got my exam scripts back they were full of stupid mistakes! I thought I didn't have a chance getting into Cambridge this year and I knew applying would just make matters worse. But I got 3 offers from top unis who ask for A*AA - Bath, Nottingham and Loughborough (which is promising for you) and the rest I applied for AAA as backup. Still got 5/5 offers on very competitive courses!

Only reapplying this year to Cambridge if I get A*A*A or 3 A*s, otherwise I will just stick with my deferred entry to Bath :smile: so win win really!

(It was an A in AS maths)

Congrats on your offers - that seems like a great position to be in!!

Do you think it would matter I got an A or a B in A Level Maths this year? You only did the AS last year, so you could still get an A*, whereas I have already taken the full A Level Maths this year - would universities mind if I took resits?
Hi,

I was originally very set on taking Economics at university (at Cambridge or LSE etc) but after my exams, I don't think I'll stand a chance.

My Economics exam and my Biology exam both didn't go that well - I was expecting to do better.

However, the main issue is my Maths exams. As I am taking further maths, I am taking C1-C4 S1 M1 this year, which is all the modules including the A2 ones. I really need an A* in Maths to do Economics at any university.

However, after doing 17 past paper for C3 and C4 EACH, both exams went terribly. I just had my C4 exam, hoping that I would get a high enough mark to average my C3 mark to 90UMS, but the exam went awfully - I couldn't stop crying for hours. It's not even that I didn't work hard - I did almost all the textbook questions, I did 15-20 past papers for each Maths module, however THIS happens. I usually get over 90UMS in past papers however I just don't understand how the actual exam has gone so badly. I've checked with the model answers, and I know that I've gotten questions wrong.

Please help me, I feel like I can't even go to school tomorrow because I'm so upset - I haven't got good enough grades to go to university, even after so much hard work. I really just don't know what to do. I can't stop crying in bed because all my dreams and hard work have been crushed to pieces. :frown:

Thank you for reading my very long post...

wow this is the story of my life
Original post by hannahhutton
You've probably done better than you think you have - a load of people in my year thought they had done really badly in maths and came out with much better grades than they thought, partly due to grade boundaries being lowered when everyone did badly. And if you have done as bad as you think you have, you can always resit next year.

Secondly, there are a lot of great universities that you don't need an A* to do economics. Lancaster University is one example. It's not Russell group if that affects your decision, but it is consistently in the top 10/sometimes just outside the top 10 universities in the country, and it's only asking AAB for economics. The only requirements as far as I can tell are Bs in GCSE maths and English language. Plus, most courses at Lancaster accept general studies. It's a really nice university too, and has amazing accommodation.

I apologise for this basically turning into a promotion post for Lancaster uni but it's just one example of the great universities out there that you don't need an A* in maths to get. Good luck with everything!

Thank you for your reply. :smile:

I know that there are some universities that don't require an A* in Maths, however those universities (such as Lancaster) don't have as great future job prospects as UCL for example :frown: so I don't know if I would be able to get a job afterwards. It's also not a Russell group uni so... :frown:
Didn't read the whole thread...but not all unis have a specific A* in Maths offer, mines A*AA, but the * can be in any of my thee subjects.
Reply 32
Congrats on your offers - that seems like a great position to be in!!

Do you think it would matter I got an A or a B in A Level Maths this year? You only did the AS last year, so you could still get an A*, whereas I have already taken the full A Level Maths this year - would universities mind if I took resits?

Thank you!

I don't think they would mind as long as you can convince your college to give you a predicted grade of an A* for maths. I think that would convey that you are planning on resitting modules?
Can't be sure though, I don't know what your college's policy is on predicted grades but this is quite an important part of your UCAS application if you didn't achieve the grades in the first year. Definitely talk to your college about this and find out.
Thank you for your reply. :smile:

I know that there are some universities that don't require an A* in Maths, however those universities (such as Lancaster) don't have as great future job prospects as UCL for example :frown: so I don't know if I would be able to get a job afterwards. It's also not a Russell group uni so... :frown:

That is true. Your best bet is to look up the league tables for economics here and literally just go down the list until you find one that you would be able to meet the requirements for - that way you know you'll be getting the best you can. That's how I found my course. It also shows you student satisfaction and graduate prospects, so you can compare different universities to each other.
You're at AS, you still have time.
I got BBDU at As and now looking to get AAB at A2, which is easily doable.
You may not get into Cambridge but you can still go to a Russell group like nottingham (which is an amazing uni, I reccomend) depending on what you got.
As you're at as you haven't even applied for uni yet so there's no uni offer rejections anyway!
You can redo further maths modules to bump that grade up next year as well. You have so much time there is no need to worry or get upset
x

TL;DR From my experience you don't need to go to Cambridge to be happy.
Don't hesitate to set your sights a bit lower - for me my firm's entry requirements were a bit ambitious if you based it solely on my AS grades, but they gave me the offer and I met it.

Worst case scenario, it's closed a few doors to the top, top universities, but don't concern yourself with that until at least results day anyway. That's when you know what you've got and you can start to formulate a plan. I'm not sure how it'd affect your application, to Cambridge or otherwise, but if you have the option to resit Maths modules you could be predicted an A* by your school.

And with grief, it's helpful to shed a few dears for a few days - though I wouldn't recommend not going to school unless you really don't feel well enough -, and after a while you'll find that you won't shed tears for as long as before, and eventually you'll pick yourself up and move forward. :grouphugs:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest