The Student Room Group

GCSE results to good enough to do well in chemistry A Level

Hi, next year I am hoping to do Chemistry and Biology A Levels but am very paranoid that I will not get good enough grades to do well in the subject. I do really enjoy both of them very much but a lot of people have told me they are both heavy subjects. Even though science is my best subject I'm not one of those students that get A* and A's this is why I am worried that I wont do well, but science is my best subject so I don't know what to do. Any advice on what I should do or if you think I have the ability to do well (I am VERY motivated to do well and want to have a future in science hopefully)
I got a B in double GCSE science and im on track to get two B's in Chem and Bio (just done the A2). The only thing is that because I wasnt the highest achiever I had really low target grades but if you put the work in you can do it.
Reply 2
Original post by Annie2882
Hi, next year I am hoping to do Chemistry and Biology A Levels but am very paranoid that I will not get good enough grades to do well in the subject. I do really enjoy both of them very much but a lot of people have told me they are both heavy subjects. Even though science is my best subject I'm not one of those students that get A* and A's this is why I am worried that I wont do well, but science is my best subject so I don't know what to do. Any advice on what I should do or if you think I have the ability to do well (I am VERY motivated to do well and want to have a future in science hopefully)

I'd say if you get Bs, then take them.
What grade are you predicted to get? How did your exams go?

If they're your best subjects and you're motivated, you should be okay :hugs:
Besides, there are lots of people on here (myself included) who would be very, very happy to help you out :h:
If you'd like a future career in science, it's your only option - so just make sure you work hard :smile:

As long as you're committed, motivated, and keep on top of everything (organisation is key!) - you'll be fine :redface:

I took Bio, Chem, Maths & Eng Lit for As :fyi:
Feel free to ask me any questions :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Neuth
I'd say if you get Bs, then I'd say take them.

Besides, there are lots of people on here (myself included) who would be very, very happy to help you out :h:
If you'd like a future career in science, it's your only option - so just make sure you work hard :smile:

As long as you're committed, motivated, and keep on top of everything (organisation is key!) - you'll be fine :redface:

What did you get in your science GCSEs?
I've just finished A2's and done Biology and Chemistry & Maths. The truth is, you'll do well at A Levels as long as you put the effort in! Of course your natural ability to learn a subject plays a part in it, but at the end of the day, if you don't put any effort in then you won't do well...regardless of how intelligent you are.
I managed a B at GCSE chemistry and got an A last year at AS (should have an A this year too) but only because I worked hard for it.
Oh also, A level sciences are much different to those at GCSE so I guess it largely comes down to how well you adapt.

I enjoy sciences and if you do then you should definitely take them. If in the first few weeks you find that you didn't make the correct decision, then you can usually switch subjects so you're not pinned down to something you don't like (at least we could at my sixth form).

Anyway, if you'd like a career in science then doing them at A Level is something you should certainly go ahead with as Unis will generally look for science subjects on your UCAS application (again, varies with courses).

Best of luck! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 11Jason11
What did you get in your science GCSEs?

I took Core & Additional and got A & A, although I was predicted A*s.
(Extenuating circumstances, so all of my GCSEs were under what they should have been by quite a bit).

I'm predicted AA in Bio/Chem at As by my teachers, and hope to study Biochem or Pharmacology at Uni in 2016.

GCSE's aren't everything.
Reply 6
Original post by TomRais27
I've just finished A2's and done Biology and Chemistry & Maths. The truth is, you'll do well at A Levels as long as you put the effort in! Of course your natural ability to learn a subject plays a part in it, but at the end of the day, if you don't put any effort in then you won't do well...regardless of how intelligent you are.
I managed a B at GCSE chemistry and got an A last year at AS (should have an A this year too) but only because I worked hard for it.
Oh also, A level sciences are much different to those at GCSE so I guess it largely comes down to how well you adapt.

I enjoy sciences and if you do then you should definitely take them. If in the first few weeks you find that you didn't make the correct decision, then you can usually switch subjects so you're not pinned down to something you don't like (at least we could at my sixth form).

Anyway, if you'd like a career in science then doing them at A Level is something you should certainly go ahead with as Unis will generally look for science subjects on your UCAS application (again, varies with courses).

Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much, this has really helped!! I do feel confident that I will be motivated and work hard but I have this horrible habit of comparing myself to others and because I don't get the best grades I underestimate my ability:frown: thanks again:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Neuth
I'd say if you get Bs, then take them.

Oh thank you so much this has really made me feel more confident about my decision. I feel really confident that I will work my hardest and its so nice to know that I can get help if I'm ever in need when I start in September, it really means a lot thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by TheIndecent
I got a B in double GCSE science and im on track to get two B's in Chem and Bio (just done the A2). The only thing is that because I wasnt the highest achiever I had really low target grades but if you put the work in you can do it.

Thank you for your help. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to do the work if I didn't get the highest grades at GCSE, but now I know that's not the case, what's the subject like at AS if you don't mind me asking ??
Reply 9
Oh thank you so much this has really made me feel more confident about my decision. I feel really confident that I will work my hardest and its so nice to know that I can get help if I'm ever in need when I start in September, it really means a lot thank you :smile:

:hugs:

You're welcome :h:

If you ever need help, just make a new thread in Study Help, or ask on the Y13 Thread for some help from somebody who took the subject last year - there will be lots of people who'll help you :yep:
Reply 10
Original post by Neuth
I took Core & Additional and got A & A, although I was predicted A*s.
(Extenuating circumstances, so all of my GCSEs were under what they should have been by quite a bit).

I'm predicted AA in Bio/Chem at As by my teachers, and hope to study Biochem or Pharmacology at Uni in 2016.

GCSE's aren't everything.

How is the course if you don't mind me asking? What's the structure like and is it a big difference from GCSE? How are you finding it ?
Reply 11
How is the course if you don't mind me asking? What's the structure like and is it a big difference from GCSE? How are you finding it ?

Definitely a step up from GCSE, but you get the hang of it quicker than you'd think :yep:

Depends what Exam Board you're on (and obviously you'll be affected by A-Level reforms), but most have 2 exams at the end of the year - each with different modules.

I love both Bio & Chem - they go hand in hand, and it's what I plan on doing at Uni :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Neuth
Definitely a step up from GCSE, but you get the hang of it quicker than you'd think :yep:

Depends what Exam Board you're on (and obviously you'll be affected by A-Level reforms), but most have 2 exams at the end of the year - each with different modules.

I love both Bio & Chem - they go hand in hand, and it's what I plan on doing at Uni :smile:

I'm on WJEC. Since you also do Biology, what's that like? (sorry to annoy you with all of these questions haha) and what are you planning on doing in the future?
Reply 13
I'm on WJEC. Since you also do Biology, what's that like? (sorry to annoy you with all of these questions haha) and what are you planning on doing in the future?

I tried to answer the above for both subjects :smile:

I'm on Edexcel for Bio and OCR A for Chem.

Biochem/Pharmacology @ Uni, then future career in research :h:
Chemistry is very hefty if you struggled with GCSE's
I did iGCSE which is more like A Level, so I didn't really think it was much of a jump between the two
However if you really do struggle with chemistry GCSE then it will be very difficult (but not impossible) and the jump will seem huge. But it's manageable if you really do push yourself and try to get the A
Thank you for your help. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to do the work if I didn't get the highest grades at GCSE, but now I know that's not the case, what's the subject like at AS if you don't mind me asking ??

Well for Bio there was a lot of content but the real area that I struggled with was HSW questions because unlike GCSE it is rare to get a straightforward 'describe' question. I got my head around the context quite quickly and the best practice was past papers. The step up for chemistry was really hard in comparison to my other subjects because if you dont have a good understanding of the basics you just simply wouldn't get it. If I am being honest I have been really lucky with relativly straightforward papers and teachers who offered alot of support. Without my teachers I can guarentee that I would have failed. You really have to work hard for science subjects but it is worth it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest