The Student Room Group

Are loan repayments higher if you had a maintenance loan too?

I'm trying to decide whether to stay at home for uni or move away. Would repayments go up if I move away and need the maintenance loan or are the repayments the same as if I didn't. I would rather move away but if it meant it's significantly cheaper to stay at home then that's what i'll have to do.
You pay the same interest rate, but you'll have to borrow much less so overall your debt will be far lower.
Yes, you'll still be paying 9% of your total loan but your total loan will be a larger number so your repayments will be too. But 9% of the total is still going to be a relatively low, manageable number so if you want to move away I would encourage you to do so - it's about weighing up financial gain and personal gain
Original post by uncommonsensing
Yes, you'll still be paying 9% of your total loan but your total loan will be a larger number so your repayments will be too. But 9% of the total is still going to be a relatively low, manageable number so if you want to move away I would encourage you to do so - it's about weighing up financial gain and personal gain

This is wrong. It is a percentage of your income above the threshold (which I believe in £21k). So your monthly repayments are no different whether you take a maintenance loan or not, you will just be paying back for longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending