The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
"Physics is a pile of crap"
speaks volumes doesn't it. And obviously the ONLY important part of a science is that it's about people....what on Earth are you on about!?
Reply 41
Sarah_V
speaks volumes doesn't it. And obviously the ONLY important part of a science is that it's about people....what on Earth are you on about!?

at least you can kinda releate to biology in the fact that it's about you, y'know?
i mean, i find that atoms forces and speed or whatever bore the life out of me.

ok.
k
Since Chemistry doesn't require many technical terms for memeorisation, its aim is to enable people to give defination and analysis.

Biology is also a good subject because we can find why we can live on Earth. What's the difference between Living organisium and matters and How we can solve the current problems for environment and medical science. Since there are still many unknown diseases in the world...We need many Biologists to discover them
I just realised that ihis thread wont be THAT accurate. I often find peoples feelings and opinions towards a subject change with their level of study. For now we can say "physics is the best or chemistry or bio", but thats only because we are doing it now and enjoying it. I hated chemistry at gcse yet it slowly became one of my favourites by the end of a2....
physics all the way, everything else is just witchcraft
Reply 45
I do both Biology and Chemistry and of the two I always lean towards liking Biology :smile: While Biology is a lot of facts and memorising I find it interesting and relevant so that definitely helps as I like learning the facts and getting to grips with the concepts. Chemistry is still pretty interesting though, as for Physics I have friends who like the subject but its not for me. I had a 'sort of' experience with it doing Mechanics and I didn't like that- only part of physics I used to like was space :biggrin:

Go Biology!
Physics :smile:

As it seems to be the only one that makes sense. For instance, throughout our chemistry course, we've been told all sorts of jolly stuff and we've had to memorise this reaction, these conditions, etc. but there's been no why as such - just remembering facts to spew out in exams. Obviously (at least i hope) this changes once you get to degree level, but for the moment, physics is king.
Reply 47
Physics.
Whiternoise

As it seems to be the only one that makes sense. For instance, throughout our chemistry course, we've been told all sorts of jolly stuff and we've had to memorise this reaction, these conditions, etc. but there's been no why as such - just remembering facts to spew out in exams. Obviously (at least i hope) this changes once you get to degree level, but for the moment, physics is king.

Do you ask why?
Reply 49
I personally like chemistry, but physics is also good and interesting..
Reply 50
Usually the one your studying. :smile: If it isn't change courses.

Christ science is bland. 3 sciences?
well taking all 3 sciences at A-level and taking seperate sciences for GCSE i've had a great deal of all 3 through the years, but i have to say chemistry has been my passion when it comes to science, chemistry is the inbetween science,

yes physics may be the fundamental science with all its laws and stuff, and biology maybe the science that looks at nature and evolution etc.

but chemistry comes into all aspects of science, biology contains bits of chemistry and chemistry contains bits of physics. so looking at it from my perspective chemistry links all science together and is the key to the scientific community!

it will be chemistry who cure cancer, beat the common cold and come up with the solution to stop global warming! biologists and physicist will have input but its the actual chemists who will be the people to take the majority of the work!
Reply 52
Since it will most likely be gene therapies that offer the best hope for a cure to cancer, I would of thought this falls under the sphere of Biologists and indeed it is biologists who are currently working on some of the more promising breakthroughs. However that said even then it's biochemistry technically, as said before there is such overlap these days it's useless to talk about breakthroughs coming only from chemistry or physics usually.
Reply 53
Sidhe
Since it will most likely be gene therapies that offer the best hope for a cure to cancer, I would of thought this falls under the sphere of Biologists and indeed it is biologists who are currently working on some of the more promising breakthroughs. However that said even then it's biochemistry technically, as said before there is such overlap these days it's useless to talk about breakthroughs coming only from chemistry or physics usually.

actually I'd thank physicists and radiographers.
Reply 54
Killer7
actually I'd thank physicists and radiographers.

You mean for radiation therapy, it's hardly a cure is it. Gene therapy promises to destroy all the cancer in the body whilst simultaneously leaving other healthy cells undamaged. A cure for cancer won't come from rediation therapy alone. But the break through that wins the Nobel prize will probably come from biology or maybe chemistry but I reckon biology. Apparently there is one gene therapy at the moment that makes cancer drugs 200 times more potent to cancer cells, by altering the genetic structure of the cell, using a engineered virus to target only cancer cells specifically.

I think your thinking that cancer has already been cured maybe. In any case chemotherapy is probably more effective in some cancers than radiation therapy.
Reply 55
A bit O/T but I wonder if a cure for cancer will ever be found in our lifetime?
Reply 56
Lou_
A bit O/T but I wonder if a cure for cancer will ever be found in our lifetime?

I like to think so, we are not so far off now. But it's a very tricky demon to excise from the gene pool entirely so even with cure people will still die. That will be the greatest success, not cure but prevention completely. It would be nice to see it go the way of the scourges of the 19th century. 1 in 3 people will develop cancer in their lifetimes. :frown: I don't think there's may people who don't know someone who has had the horror of cancer in their lives.
Reply 57
Biology :biggrin:
Reply 58
Physics sucks lol

Nah, I know what you mean but the whole concept is different.
Reply 59
It says in the poll I chose Biology another time I'd read this thread, but I would never choose it! So I don't quite now how it's there, lol. Chemistry for sure!

Latest

Trending

Trending